Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up a road legal raptor 700,:wow:

when rideing it back home, i was being followed by the person who had taken me to collect it.

once we was nearly home, he zoomed passed me & waved me to pull over..:rolleyes:

at first i though i was going to be told to be more road safe! as i know i was a little side to side, kinda weaving, but the bike was doing this to me & i was corrective stearing, but it turns out the rear left tyre had not POPED into place correct, so we decided to take it to my local car garage & have it poped into place..

once there, they poped it on & the the guy said he used to ride rapters till he got married, & asked for a quick road test, so i let him, all the time he was in eye sight & boy could he ride this machine!

he come back & said there is something wrong with the bike, as its skitting/hopping/weaving all over the place..

he then got a tape measure out & started measuring areas around the bike, witch i now know to be tracking etc etc.

he says something is wrong, as you can not track a equal number ie lets say 13 inch on front left & right, without the front right being miles toe out..

on closer inspection, it looks as if the front right shock pushes the a arm down more than the right, giving the illusion that the front left a arm is longer, also the front right wheel has a camber, the front left dont, shocks are none gas, a arms are none camber adjustable, the bikes a 55 reg 06 model, we have tried eyeing up the toe, but there is something just not right. i dont feel safe rideing it.. its that unstable at the front.

my father owns a apache 450, now this bike im sooo comfortable rideing, the front feels glued to the road, no skitting/weaving etc.

so im seeking advice from here, this is my first quad, & i love it, its a great feeling, but i will only ride with a helmet! my safety is second to none.

i live in the uk, leicester city, i cant find a uk rapter forum, so im posting for any help you can give me here..

if there is anyone local to me, with experience in these machins, your more than welcome to have a look...

i phoned the dealer today, & im taking it back after the weekend, but i fear they will just try & track it up, & not try looking for the problem...

sorry for the long read....

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
Hey bud, welcome to the raptor forum.

It's sounds like maybe a ball joint is causing the problem. If you jack the front up can you find any loose movement anywhere? But I guess the guy who looked at the tracking would have spotted that. I guess you need to start looked for bent things now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Alignment from scratch.

Check to see the front suspension is the same on both sides. One might be pre-loaded more than the other causing the quad to appear tilted to one side.

Start by verifying all your ball joints are set for proper camber. Each ball joint on the a-arms should have the same number of threads as the corresponding a-arms ball joint. Example: If the upper a-arm on the properly cambered side measures 1/2" of exposed threads then the upper a-arm on the improperly cambered side must also show 1/2" of exposed threads. Then you can perform small adjustments from there.

After camber, adjust the alignment with the tie rods. For a street raptor, I would assume that you would want the tires as straight as possible with O or very little toe-in or toe-out.

Now, if you are seeing large differences in the settings between both sides then you could have a bent frame or a-arm. My advice, since this is a street raptor, take it to a shop and have them set the camber, pre-load and alignment for you so that you are ready for the high speeds on that thing.

Some of this information may be helpful to you: http://www.kendallrace.com/suspension.php Look near the bottom about the camber adjustment

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont remember the quad being jacked up, so ill nip out now to buy a trolly jack with stands..

i do know that the A-arms are none camber adjustable..

its a 05/06 model, standard, with what you guys call "pogo" shocks, none gas adjustable ones..

my plans for the quad was to lower/stiffer/wider & maxxis road tyres..

but i would still like to use it till i can find a dealer/seller that can sell me everything i need.. to make the front end wider & the rear wider to match..

if i new someone that can get me everything i need, & had it all fitted, then im sure what ever is wrong with it now, would be fixed after the new front end is done, as thats changing everything new..?

right, off the the local shop to get trolly jack & stands..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have been & got a jack & had it jacked up..

we checked all the bushes, tie rods, wheel bearings, ball joints etc etc, there is no play in anything..

so we decided to have another go at tracking the thing..

we tied the stearing to the rear, holding it straight.
we then measured from front edge rim to rim & rear edge rim to rim, adjusted acording.
we also measured from inside edge of the rim to the round tubed pard of the frame, they was exact the same, left & right, if my memory is correct, it was 31 inch 2mm

went up the street & the stearing was turning left, but the bike was going forward?

now when i went back & parked it up on the drive, when looking faceing the bike, the handlebar stem*? looks twisted/bent? also, it does look like the whole bike now looks as if it has a twist to it?

could this be right?

is seriously annoyed now, as i have just payed out a fortune on this bike & also the insurance...

im taking the bike back tomorrow morning, "i have to drive it there though" when i phoned them this morning, they say it might just need tracking up...

im soo convinced now that this bike is a wrong one, ie, been in a crash & repaired..

i have a 30 day warranty with the bike, im worried that they might just try "tracking it in again" knowing that there is something seriousely wrong with the bike..

do you think its ok for me to ask for a alternative bike? or worse case, my money back?
i really want a rapter, but its now playing mind games that this bike is just not up to a standard im happy with..

any advice? please..

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
When my fiancée rolled her quad (stupid cow was showing off ) I had a similar problem afterwards. Where the steering had come up against the stops so violently it twisted the stem on it's own axis so it was really hard to spot. New stem was the solution. It's funny how it's hers when all is good but mine when it needs money spending on it:)

If your looking for a good, genuine, helpful dealer then try quad bikes r us in Essex. They're website isn't that great but they can normally get anything you want and they'll send it out too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i have there website on my fav list, i was planning on buying 4 maxxix tyres & nerf bars from them, plus a few other things..

but i still have this problem with my bike...

please understand, im a total novice, this is my first bike, & im stuck with a problem, that im unsure as to where i stand, all i know is, i have a 30 day warranty.

but now im sure this bike has had a smash & tried being repaired, or bodged to resell, i dont know what to do, i have to take the bike back tomorrow morning.

what if they try bodging it again?
am i in my rights to ask for a replacement bike?
also, what about asking for my money back?

bearing in mind, this is a rapter/atv dealer, with a guess of 50+ bikes...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a quick update, i have arranged for my raptor to be collected from my houe to the dealers in the morning, hes going to follow me down there..

i just wouldnt feel safe taking it whilst its in that state...

ill update tomorrow with what ever happens....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck mate, let's hope they can sort it easily. Who's the dealer?
i dont feel it would be right in saying who at the moment..

ill see how it goes tomorrow..

if i have to leave it with them, for repair work etc, thats ok, but when they say its ok to collect, i want to know exactly what was wrong with it, as theres no way its just need a "track up" ill drive there myself in my car, do the tape measure tips i have been reading all over the internet about tracking etc, & also take it out for a road test...

if its passes them tests, then & only then, ill arrange for it to be collected...

but the way i feel at the moment, i dont want the bike back.. ild rather have a different one now.. but ill see how tomorrow pans out..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Alrite pal.it could quite possibly something like a buckled rim as that has happened a couple of times to me and it just wanted to throw itself around.when you say about the tracking I find it easier if I sit the bike on its back end and set the the track with straight handlebars.theres quite a few of up her in Nottingham with raptor 7's so if I can help ya in anyway just give us a shout.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cheers fella, im just down the road in leicester..

we loaded weight onto the seat..
also jacked the rear & spun the wheels..

some thing is defo bent, i hope its not the frame..

ill see what happens tomorrow..

even the guy who is transporting the rapter tomorrow has said he will hang around, just incase its a quick fix..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, well here goes.. its going to be a long story..

i had a truck follow me down to drop the quad off..

once there they started on the tracking, putting straps on the bar ends to the rear, & jucked the front end fully up, so front wheels was off the ground.. "ithought this was strainge"

took it for a drive, no good, it was all over the place.

then they was looking for anything bent or warn, also tyres, they insisded its in "yamaha parimitors*"

they tweeked a little more, had another mechanic check it over also, the test drive was still the same..

i asked to speak with the top man.. he got one of the mechanics to test ride it, he comes back saying "its how rapters are"

i then started to loose my temper & get really frustrated...

i was saying "thats not safe" not "not fit for the road" etc etc..

once again, i went upstairs to the top man, & he basically said, "its with in famaha factory parimitors* there is nothing i can do, im looking to find something to fix, but there is nothing to fix"

so i then said, i dont want the bike, i must have some wrights, they can have the bike, im leaving to seek legal advise, bla bla..

then the top man takes it out for a ride...

he comes back & drives in straight into the garage, & starts checking it over, "so im now thinking that he thinks its not wright"

he couldnt fing anything wrong, he checked tyres etc etc...

so we went back up to the office.. & i said quote

"i dont want to insult your intelegance & intelegance of these bike, but why was the front end jacked up, & then the tracking done?"

he nearly hit the roof, saying thats how its supposed to be done by yamaha etc etc.. & i said, well every tut i have read on the internet says you have to have rider weight on the bike to be tracked & tried explaining that the geometry of the front will change with different rider weight, due to the high/low the bike sits at..

he said it dont change, what ever the weight it on it, lol

then he was all frustrated & said "just take him down & track the bike with him on it" right mardy git..

after that was done, i took it for a ride.. w00t! i was doing 55, no washing,weaving.. it was nice, but the front end now was bobbing up & down, violently!

when i got back, i said it going straight now, but its bobbing up & down, they looked it over, couldnt see nothing wrong..

i then suggested about the tyres, he said they have been checked, there perfect!

i threw another wobbly by saying its still not right! keep the bike, im off bla bla bla.. but then i suggested swap the wheels over with another bikes wheels, they replaced the front tyres off of a bike that was being worked on, in the work shop..

took it out............ perfect! it was straight, no vibration.... i enjoyed the ride..

when i got back & saidit was perfect, i asked if i can have the matching rear tyres to match the fronts, the mechanic said yes, but there was a problem, the rear was a bigger size, but they just had a matching rear set arrive for another customer, so he asked the top man if i could have them & order more for the customer & he said.. no the front sorted now..

so im having another wobbly! wtf do i have to do to fix my bike? cos im the one suggesting things to try & it seems to be working, just from reading info from the internet off of forums! i have only had the bike 1/2 days, only riden it from there location to my house...!

then i suggested about me paying for maxxis tyres to fix it, they then said we have road tyres, we went looking...

he dug a set out, & spoke to the top man again, he said, £100 & i can have them tyres fitted...

i agreed, but i want a promise that these tyres wont give me wobble on the roads, the mechanic was saying, they wont, bla bla bla..

bearing in mind, i got there about 9.45, the time was now 3.30.. i said, well im gonna leave now & collect the bike before close...

so went home, droped my car off & got a life back to collect my bike...

it looked nice with the road tyres on, they has even cleaned the stickers etc etc..

now, the final road test home!

its still F*CKED! TILTON ATV can kiss my ARSE ! they tyres are still giving me wobble bobble..

i even offered to pay for top notch maxxix set..

im soo peed off with this company, i refuse to phone them back, or take my bike back, dont get me wrong, the garrage & the mechanics are really nice guys, friendly etc, but that tip man, is a jerk...!

i think they new exactly what was wrong with the bike, but didnt want the extra expense sorting it..

tilton atv TILTON ATV are not woth the hassle..

even if you google for a review, there is someone else that has the exact same problem with tyres...

they then started checking all there other bikes, & all there tyres was egg shaped!

bad batch they tried fobbing me off with..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
im pissed off, worn out, stressed,feeling down, cos i love my new raptor, but it dont feel safe rideing it..

its my birthday today, & this was my gift to myself, i couldnt talk the misses into letting me buy a GG quadster, so i had a rapter...

so i have a nice rapter on my drive, thats taxed, mot'd, insured, its my birthday today & its really sunny today, perfect rideing weather!

and i cant ride it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oh, to also add...

there bikes are riden off road, then made road legal & sold with low miles/hours

all i can think of doing now is just chuck money at it, buy new wheels & tyres, quality makes & see if that fixes it..

iv just bought some yfz 450 shocks, to put onto it..

do any of you guys know a uk raptor forum?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you thought of going to a more reputable atv shop? Check some reviews, get your atv to a good shop that will take care of you. Sounds like you know what you want, just need a shop to give it to you.

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
So from what I understand the only problem to sort is the tyres? I'm gonna guess that you've got slashers am I correct?

This is gonna Seam like a dum question but is your bike a yfm700r or a Raptor? Only difference being the stickers.

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
I forgot to say there arent any uk raptor forums, only quad heaven which I don't care for myself

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So from what I understand the only problem to sort is the tyres? I'm gonna guess that you've got slashers am I correct?

This is gonna Seam like a dum question but is your bike a yfm700r or a Raptor? Only difference being the stickers.
yes they was slashers.

erm, thought they was the same, just different bits.

mines a raptor 700 se, i think, its a 06 model, 55 number plate reg. efi engine.
it has what you guys call "pogo" shocks on the front, i have just bought some yfz450 front shocks from flebay also.

the tyres that they put on to try that solved the issue was a make called "HD something" ?

the tyres that are on now are called..: "duro" that i had to pay a extra £100 for..

i have tracked it down on google to be high speed wobble, from the tyres.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts