Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this quad and at the time it needed to be pull started to run. Thought it was teh valves so I had them adjusted and ran great for a day then it wouldn't start again. Now it won't turn over it just make a click noise when you push the start button. Anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I have had everyone under the sun in my area look at it and can't figure it out.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
charge the battery or replace it,
clean the connections from the battery to the starter,
may need to replace the cables or relay

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Check and clean battery cables

Check the acid in the battery (you might have to get some)
If it was low on acid...refill and put the battery on a charger
then try it again

still doesn't work-
If you have a riding lawnmower battery thats 12 volt or another quad battery, around same amp, use it in place of your stock battery with jumper cables (total disconnect the stock battery from the circuit), if it starts... your stock battery is dead, you need a new one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I get a battery from like Autozone or does it have to be a factory battery? The one thats in it is out of a motorcycle and is smaller I was told as it doesn't fit snug against the top hold down.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Like the oil filters, there are alternatives. My bro got a riding lawnmower battery that happen to be around the same amp that fit in his utility quad, the only problem is that the terminals were on opposite sides as the original, no matter how it was turned you kind of had to loosen the cables up for some more slack..He ended up getting them on..Its been running good since then, even with the winch. It was cheaper by a long shot, the battery fit snug...the posts, and attaching the cable you have to work with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does it just click once when you push the button, or several times? If just one click is heard, check the connection on your relay. If several then the battery is probably toast.

Good luck

·
Registered
364 Posts
take the relay out and clean the connections real good to the relay with a wire brush....if still nothing then replace the relay. If you really want to check it then bypass the relay while you push the start button and if the bike starts you know the relay is bad. good luck,

Max

·
Registered
364 Posts
Flynbyu ...you got it all wrong man. First is beer, then fuel, air, and spark. Get it straignt dude!!!

Max

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
good stuff max ...good stuff :beer:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
maxb750 said:
Flynbyu ...you got it all wrong man. First is beer, then fuel, air, and spark. Get it straignt dude!!!

Max

Ill drink to that!

·
Registered
960 Posts
there is only one fuse the other is a spare

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll definately need a beer after this is all over with. Now to bypass how would I do that? A negative and a positive cable both go into it so I guess I don't see how to go with out it. I am not the best at working on these things.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The relay is a remote control switch. The little wires carry power from the button on the bars to the relay. The large wires are from the battery to the starter with a set of contacts inside that can handle the current necessary to turn the starter.
When you push the button magic happens and the contacts close completing the circuit to the starter. Accept it as magic unless you wish to research electromagnetic forces, then google is your friend.
To bypass the relay you can take a jumper cable from the plus, +, battery terminal to the starter side of the relay. Power is going to flow directly from the battery to the starter and the motor should turn over. Do this in neutral. The other option is to take the starter wire off the relay and touch it directly to the battery. Again, in neutral.
A necessary warning or disclaimer, battery's can explode and the acid they are filled with is dangerous.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If it works...you might consider checking all your connections again and the wiring, the relay, and the actual starter button.

If it doesn't work, its either your starter or battery. If you have checked your battery already, then its your starter.

If your able to push/pull start it and it runs, that pretty much eliminates the possibilty of it being anything else.

·
Registered
833 Posts
i got my battery replacement from autozone just take your old one in and the should be able to match it. and they will give you like a few bucks for the old one. also a good charge would be in order. it sounds like your relay is ok. but a good clean job is always good on any atv

1 - 20 of 21 Posts