Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just signed up for this forum and look forward to talking and discussing everything with everybody. My question is, I am in the market for a new quad. I have had 2 honda 400ex's and also a kfx450 in the past. I havent rode in about 3 years but am wanting to get back into it. I am torn between getting a yfz450 or the raptor 700. I will mostly ride trails and some hills as most of my friends have rzrs. I am wanting something with a significant amount of power as I am a large man on the verge of losing weight though. HA. I am about 5'9 270lb. I am wanting something that will not feel doggy with me on it and also want something that I can punch the throttle and ride a wheelie for a mile if want be. I have heard that the 450 is the baddest quad on the market but I am coming to you guys for your input. My last quad was the kfx450 the first year they came out and I was very disappointed in that machine. Also, Im looking at 2011 models and live in Indiana so what is a price that I should be expecting on these quads. I have been told 8200 otd for a 700 and the guy had a 2009 leftover 450 that he quoted me 8000otd for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to more posts and posting pics of my new toy once I get it. I am looking at about a week or so before purchase, just need to narrow it down to the final quad that I want to get that will best fit my needs.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cory

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Big guy= raptor 700...the tq is great and u don't have to shift alot like with a 450..way more comfortable than a 450 too. Awesome in the dunes, u can lug it..there's a reason they're the king of the dunes.. 450's rule @ the track..the raptor rules everywhere else.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 450 and 700 engines and style of power delivery are worlds apart. The 450 has to rev to make power...and must be downshifted if it slips below its sweet spot. The 450 is in a high state of tune for its size from the factory and is difficult to make more power without affecting its life.
The Raptor 700 is a lugging torque beast. It's in a very mild state of tune from the factory and responds with big power gains to mild mods. You can lug around a corner and accelerate out without downshifting if you like. You can run in the wrong gear and do just fine. The ride is softer, there is more room on it and the handling is great....not as sharp as a YFZ but not far off.
If I were racing I'd consider the YFZ but for all other purposes a 700 Raptor kicks butt.

Oh...consider an aftermarket exhaust, intake and fuel controller mandatory for the Raptor. HUGE difference in power and fun. The Raptor engine loves to be modified and the power band is so wide and strong you'll grin all day. It's for sure the choice for us big :rolleyes: guys.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
700 ftw

·
Registered
437 Posts
why didnt you like ur kfx? i have one and am around the same weight and love it. my 700 is much nastyer but that 450 is a beast all in its own. and my opinion 700 way more versitile and honestly tit for tat beter then the 450s

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im from the Evansville area....near there. I didnt like my KFX because I thought that it didnt have the power that I was expecting. I bought it the first year that it came out and left it bone stock as I moved away and had to get rid of it. It felt like it had the same power as my 400ex that I traded in on it. Im leaning towards the raptor 700

·
Registered
437 Posts
hmm mines a 08 to (first year) and its got all sorts of balls tyou just have to rev the piss outta it to get it as thats what the motors built for ya knoa. but my 700 still eats it up hard core

1 - 9 of 9 Posts