Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just got a 2005 660 raptor from my brother in law that has been sitting in a warehouse for at least 10 years. He said he ran it out of gas before he parked it.

I put some fresh gas in it and was going to attempt to start it but as soon as I turned the gas on it started leaking out the bottom of the carb. Tried to jump it anyways with my battery booster but the batteries completely gone and it just made a noise and didn’t turn over.

so I have new floats and bullets for the carb and a new battery on the way. Should be here next week. My question is aside from cleaning the carb, changing out the floats and putting a new battery in, is there anything else I should do or inspect before attempting to start it again?

thanks mike

·
Super Moderator
8,787 Posts
Change the oil and give it a good checking. Rotate the crank by hand to ensure it’s not frozen. Put a new spark plug in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response, it kinda opened up a couple more questions lol.

what brand and weight oil is recommended? I like to run amsoil in my toys. what brand oil filter?

what air filter should I get? Stock, k&n, foam?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
A full carb rebuild kit would be a good idea. All Orings are probably dry rot. The float bowl orings like to leak when they get old

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a hard time finding an oem carb kit so I did order an aftermarket one before posting. So I ’m hoping all I’ll need is the orings. Is there a good aftermarket carb kit I should look for or is there a source still for oem?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So on its way is a battery, oem floats, allballs carb kit, vitos fuel screws, oil, oil filter, 2 spark plugs and a foam air filter. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
2003 Raptor 660, .05 over bore, FMF slip on, Fullflight +2 A Arms
31 Posts
I run yamalube in my 660. That's the best stuff for it.

·
Registered
05 Yamaha Raptor 660
8 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, it kinda opened up a couple more questions lol.

what brand and weight oil is recommended? I like to run amsoil in my toys. what brand oil filter?

what air filter should I get? Stock, k&n, foam?
I run Amsoil Metric 10-30. As for carb kit, I couldn't get oem either, went with a Moose kit that didn't quite have everything but it worked.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Yes for oil use anything but yamalube. Amsoil is a good choice if thats what you like. Also mobil 1 4t, motul are some others.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes for oil use anything but yamalube. Amsoil is a good choice if thats what you like. Also mobil 1 4t, motul are some others.
Please elaborate on why yamalube shouldn't be used.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Yamalube has friction modifiers added which are bad for clutches.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well if you guys say so, I guess I'll stop using it. Just seems strange that Yamahas own oil is bad for its products.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Not going to say it is a bad choice. I will bet you will notice a difference in the way the bike sounds and shifts. At least with motul. I don't use amsoil so can't comment on any difference.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Yep I assumed amsoil did as well. Know lots of people that use it. Also would use amsoil in fact my 01 660 likes mobil 1 4t and she gets what she wants. All 3 excellent oils

·
Registered
05 Yamaha Raptor 660
8 Posts
I never researched it but I was told the yamalube full synthetic is not a full synthetic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now that you guys mention it, I did have an issue shifting out of reverse recently. Maybe some different oil will help.

The guy I bought it from used strictly yamalube, and so have I. I'd venture to guess the plates have never been changed. Should I change the clutch plates along with the new oil, or would I notice an improvement from just throwing some new oil in?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts