Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Now that you guys mention it, I did have an issue shifting out of reverse recently. Maybe some different oil will help.

The guy I bought it from used strictly yamalube, and so have I. I'd venture to guess the plates have never been changed. Should I change the clutch plates along with the new oil, or would I notice an improvement from just throwing some new oil in?
I would start with the oil and go from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So the parts I’ve ordered have arrived and I’m going to have my uncle who’s a mechanic help me clean the carb for the first time. After all the videos and reading I’m pretty confident I could do it myself but why not have a pro help me out I case I run into anything. He told me to first change the spark plug, air filter and do an oil change.

My question is can I do an oil change without being able to start the bike and get it to operating temp? Should I just drain it for a couple hours, change filter and add 2.5 qts or should I get it running first with 10+ year old oil and then do an oil change?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Went to change the oil. Removed both plugs and filter, let it drain completely. When refilling oil only a little less than 2 quarts went in before spilling on the floor. Will oil slowly drain from the reservoir to the crankcase without being able to start it? If not is it ok to start it with the oil that’s in it and then top off as needed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got done pulling maintenance on it, pulled the choke hit the starter and she started right up! After letting it warm up for a bit I topped the oil off and took it around the block. Super fun, pulls hard shifts good everything seems to work except reverse. In neutral I turn the lever and shift down and it just goes into first. Found where the lever actuates and it seems to work but no reverse.. am I doing something wrong or what can I check for? Thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
Shift down from FIRST, not neutral.

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
BTW, ANY oil is fine as long as it it is JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 rated (motorcycle, wet clutch).

Yamalube IS MA rated and so is just fine for our application. It does NOT have the common friction modifiers that most automotive oils now have to improve fuel economy.

I prefer Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic simply due to cost, availability and lots of reading about oils.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
That looks great!
My favorite 660 color, one of the most rare colors, and it looks like it's in excellent shape!
I would hang on to that, or not let it go cheap.

·
Master of the Electron
15,442 Posts
GREAT color! Stay active and educated here in the forum and you'll ride and love it forever!

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for it and what general area are you in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Thanks I love the color too! I’m in Michigan and bought it from my girlfriends brother for $1500. He bought it new in 05, rode it for a few years and then stored it covered in his families warehouse for over 10 years. He had always maintained it meticulously before storing it. I’m very excited to have been able to buy it and bring it back to life. Hopefully my tires will be in today and I’ll have it ready to rip this weekend!

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I'll give you $1601 LOL

Reactions: Sixpack577
21 - 40 of 61 Posts