Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for almost 20 years now, but this will be my first adventure with EFI. Had my 660 ripped recently, so gunna pick up a 700. Plan on doing the Big 3 (with dual exhaust). A few questions I have are with the intake, PC and cam.

First, will the pro design with K&N suffice if all I ever upgrade is exhaust and MAYBE cam or look for FCI?
If I get a cam, which stage? I don't want to sacrifice low end just to gain upper, and is it worth the $ for the riding I will do?
Whats the major difference between the PC3 and PC5? Are these basically plug and play?

Most riding I do is tight to open woods, fields, occasional mud, NO drag, NO dunes/sand.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
IMHO Pro-design will serve you well and it's much cheaper. Of course the FCI is better but IMHO for a big3 only, it's not 250$ better.

As far as the cam goes, IMHO, HC3. There is PLENTY of torque down low to sacrifice a tiny bit of it. The Raptor engine lacks in the top end, that's where you want to add power IMHO.

PC3 vs PC5 I'll let others bite, but IMHO since they are like 10$ apart, go for the PC5.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
The PC5 has some add on features that the PC3 doesn't like the autotune. If you can, hold off cause there is a thread floating around on a new PC5 coming out soon. Yes they are plug and play, I just sent TQS my mods and they preloaded the best map for me. There is no splicing or anything, just hook up the ground which is one screw, 2 clips for the injector and TPS and that's it. After you make more changes you will obviously need to download a new map though but there are many people on here that can send you one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for downloading maps, how will I know which map I need/want? the most motor mods I'll probably ever do are exhaust, intake and cam. The only way I'll be getting into a big bore kit or higher comp. piston is if I torch the motor. Plus when getting a new cam, is it recommended I get new springs/valves?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm with ac raptor on the cam. I love my hc3. Has plenty over rev. And the low end torque has never been an issue I can still lug mine low in higher gears.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hot cams don't need springs. They work with factory parts. As far as not Goin into the motor until you have to. You'll be surprised how you convince your self that "have to" has arrived quicker than you expect.

Those mods are great for a good start. Just don't go cheap on anything bc eventually you will be buying better stuff If you do.

I say do the fci from the start.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
If you order your stuff thru TQS, a site sponsor here. He will pre map your controller for the mods you have. + he will send you new maps when you upgrade your mods. His name is steve, He helped me set up our YFZ 450R & we are very happy with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
camaross, in my experiences, the more shit u do to the motor, the more time you spend working on it and the less time you spend riding. Plus the riding I do and the people I ride with, I rarely get past 4th, I just like getting there quick...

·
Registered
749 Posts
great to hear the good word on the stage 3 hot cam. installing one myself soon too, along with an 11:1 piston. yes, the hot cams are drop-in cams. that is exactly why i chose this route....when the quad is sold (when the newest raptor comes out) i want everything to be reversable and be able to put the quad back to stock. from my research..and maybe someone can clarify...a lot of people, including DL700, said they recommended stage 2 hot cams with the stock piston, but the best combo would be the stage 3 with a higher comp. piston.

i am running a pro flow and have no complaints. hell yeah, the FCI is better, but i didn't want to spend the extra $$ because all-out optimal power in every aspect wasn't that important to me. you will know which map you need to run depending on your mods. you may need to try multiple maps to get one that works best for you. that's why my advice has always been to get a common setup. it's MUCH easier to find maps for the pc 3/5 and especially going with duals like you planned

·
Freak!
7,986 Posts
Any cam will shine a bit bright with a bump in compression. Piston's and cam upgrades are very complimentary to each other in my expierence

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I'll be staying with the stock piston for a while (few years i assume), will the stage 2 or 3 be better for fast trail riding?

·
Registered
749 Posts
someone else can chime in on the stage 2 vs. stage 3 debate who might know more. i never thought in a million years that i'd be going into the motor on my 700. TRUST ME on this one....when you start seeing the deals that come up on this site, it'll be hard not to buy the go-fast parts. i bought my stage 3, little use, for $75 shipped.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
you will want to go with the stg 2 in trail and tight trails. But IMO i wouldent bother putting a cam in unless u do a piston. At first i put a 11:1 cp piston in mine made a little difference untill i got my hc2...what a difference! and when i got the big 3 after that holy shit did it ever make a difference not only in top end but the low end is just incredible one these machines.

IMO if your putting in a cam u should do a piston also. 11:1 or techs 11.5:1 are most common. Anything after 12:1 u cant run pump gas. (or atleast not recommended).

just my 2 cents. i looked long and hard into which cam i should go with and most said hc2 is the better of the two for trails.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I'm not doing the work myself, what can I expect to pay to have an 11:1 piston, stage 3 cam installed with tune? about $8-900?

·
Freak!
7,986 Posts
new parts and tune (without install labor) your looking at ~750
Piston ~$250
Cam ~$200
Tune~$300

I'd say around 1K or more with labor, but it all depends on the shop rate deal you can get

·
Freak!
7,986 Posts
Call Kenneth at KB motorsports. He'll get you lined up on the parts and might know a shop near you for the install.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
it is actually very simple to do. everything but the tune of course. I would highly advise not to have a local (clist guy) do it unless your damn sure he knows what hes doing. Like the saying is "you get what u pay for". But i mean u need to take the timing chain off to install the cam so u might as well take the head off and install the piston.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts