Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all names Shane!

New to quadding in general have ridden quads and dirtbikes in the past but never owned one. Been doing quite a bit of research and have decided on 07' trx450r or 07' raptor 700r.

I am trying to find out any problems people have had and things too look for when i go looking like common heavy wear components common frame welds that break or anything of that nature.

Also im not afraid to work on my own bike and understand valve lash needs to be checked and adjusted regularly, wondering what other types of common maintenance and intervals recommended specifically for this quad besides oil and filter change im sure any hinge point will also need lubrication regularly.

alot of the posts i have read were very old most when the quads were only a year or so old and it seems that 07' the few minor issues were corrected.

oh also will primarily be riding local desert stuff, glamis, pismo, death valley no mx and want to jump as well but not race. im 6' and 165 lb
thank you all for your time i know its a lot of questions just trying to be well prepared dont want to buy something ill regret!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
If you have no intentions of mx then I don't see how you could go wrong with a 700. Its an all around well balanced bike that has a comfort factor that no 450 has in my opinion. Can't get into detail right now but others will. Do you have prices on the 2 your looking at?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found what seems to be both grownup ridden clean bikes raptor700r stock and extra set of sand tires and rims for 3850 and trx450r for 3250 with pro armor nerf bars dont recall what exhaust and k&n filter and rejetted for those mods and set of rear sand paddles and rims but have looked at 06-07 raptors between 3k-4500 range and only looked at 07 trx 450r 2800-4k range

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also any info from those that own 06-07 raptors on common issues i have read on vapor lock for 06 and weak subframes for both just trying to get an idea of what to look for and what to expect to maintain on both bikes before making a decision

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Weak is a relative term, if you MX you're likely to crack one but that's the case for most atvs that see MX duty. Most trail riders and duners won't see a problem unless they crash or really air it out.

vapor lock was a concern for a very few of the first 06 models off the production line, there is a TSB on the issue (a virtue of the fuel pump setup) and it was corrected in early production.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So in other words 06 or 07 700r is a pretty good bike no major concerns or issues to really look for glad to know they have held up well to this point but as far as the 06' with vapor lock is there any way besides gettin the pn on the pump to see if its good? I also read it was mainly a problem for NE usa users cuz of the winter fuel so being a west coaster living in the high desert would it really even be a concern?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy an 06 or 07 if the price and condition were agreeable. The main downfall of the 06/07 models IMO is their inferior OEM front shocks, but if you're going to MX you'll be replacing them anyway and the purchase price of the machine could be lesser because of it.

Other than the P/N off the pump, no I don't know of a way to check for it. You are correct in saying it was primarily attributed to seasonal fuel. It's not a very frequent complain/concern on these boards.

Here's some more info on the issue, about 10 posts in are pictures of the actual TSB.
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36

·
Registered
203 Posts
i love the 700 for the comfort and because it has so many cc's. its so nice to just be able to go in whatever gear your in, some off the 450s iv ridden just require alot more shifting and have very narrow power bands. Aso the 700 also reacts very well to mods

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately it has been several years since i have ridden either bike pr quad so i dont really remember the feel and i rode a yamaha 250 quite often with my friend and dont recall the size of the quads.. Im sure they both have plenty of power for me and once i get comfortable on them will be wanting more i do like the fact that rappy has efi as i know nothing about carbs im only 25 have modded cars but all have been fuel injected

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Bolt ons typically don't have a negative impact on the reliability of most atvs, as long as they are tuned properly and they are quality aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The more i think about it the more im leaning towards the raptor i do like from what i have heard is a torque monster and it seems to be pretty reliable any 06-07 owners to this day have any mechanical or any reliability issues i should prepare myself for? And what are the areas most prone to wear on these bikes that i should look over before purchase?

·
Registered
203 Posts
raptor motors will last damn near forever with proper care. hell i am building a 787cc right not that i am completely not worried about. welll until it sees the bottle lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i think the raptor seems like the bike for me!
Now what are some things i should be looking for like most prone areas to wear out or obviously smoke in the exhaust is bad and oil build up, rough idle, throttle hesitation or popping? What components of the suspension should have been maintained?
Also i heard the engines are definatley not quiet are there any abnormal sounds from either tranny or engine i should listen for?

Again sorry for all the ?s and thank you all for your responses and help!

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,450 Posts
I have a 06 and 08. Love them both, I do a little MX on the 08 and haven't had any problems. The 06 is the wife's and haven't had a problem with it either. Wear spots on these are just like most others. Oil and water color, tire and chain wear, and mainly if it just looks abused or well maintained. You sound like a knowledgable guy so you'll know for the most part on what to look for.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Well i think the raptor seems like the bike for me!
Now what are some things i should be looking for like most prone areas to wear out or obviously smoke in the exhaust is bad and oil build up, rough idle, throttle hesitation or popping? What components of the suspension should have been maintained?
Also i heard the engines are definatley not quiet are there any abnormal sounds from either tranny or engine i should listen for?

Again sorry for all the ?s and thank you all for your responses and help!
take a friend with you. have him lift the front while you shake the a-arms, steering stem, ball joints, and everything. have him lift the rear while you shake the axle and swingarm. worn bushings are easy enough to replace but they can help you get a better deal on the quad. first thing before starting it....check the oil. if the level is correct and the oil doesn't look or smell bad than it means the bike was maintained correctly. if the motor is warm when you get there that means they might have warmed it up because it has trouble starting when its cold (i know from experience( probably just bad valve clearance). take it for a long, long ride. you'd be amazed at the things you didn;t notice due to a short test ride. I bought a 400ex and test drove it around a burger king parking lot. when i got it home i noticed most of the rims where bent, the front sprocket was welded on, the chain was way too loose, and the steering stem was cut, lengthened, rewelded and the guy put a houser sticker on it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you tommy and cammy for the responses ill make sure to check all that stuff!

@tommy that is exactly what im trying to avoid to trying to find all known problem areas so that way if the bike looks good i can go into it further to make sure it really is

you all have been very helpful in my decision glad to see this is a good forum with a lot of helpful people!! can oficially say my blood will be bleeding blue!

If anyone else has any tips on things to look for would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
437 Posts
well i own both a 700 and 450 so ill try to brake it down best i can.
Power- raptor
speed- raptor
handeling- kfx
suspension (stock)- kfx
easiness to ride- raptor
best for wooping on friends- raptor lol
bes in the jumps- kfx

now alot of thes problems with the raptor i will be adressing with a wider stance and better shocks which will give all those to the raptor. the shear versitility of the raptor is what has kept me hooked. i love my 450 too and honestly in the jumps and such i think im almost faster with it due to its insainly light weight and rail like steering but id still rather ride my 700 any day and thats saying something lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts