Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, recently joined this forum as I found myself reading loads of threads on here trying to get as much knowledge as I can on Raptors. This is my 1st quad so some may think I'm a bit a of turnip for going something so big. I have learnt the clutch driving on my own and I'm still learning but absolutely loving the quad life! Just want to make sure I'm maintaining it properly to keep it in good condition! So any advice on what needs to be done and when would it be hugely appreciated! I'm using it on road use only. Was also wondering if lowering it would make it feel smoother for road use? Many thanks people !

·
Registered
224 Posts
Being from the US I can’t comment on the road use, but I’m sure some of our European friends will have some input.
As for the first quad, congrats. People said the same thing when I bought my MT09 as first street bike, but it’s been amazing. 6 months into it I was ripping huge wheelies. It never felt like too much. I think if you respect your machine and your ability to ride you’ll be fine.

It’s interesting, people say motorcycles aren’t actually dangerous, but it’s the people around you that kill you, although that’s simply not true. Statistically 80% of motorcycle accidents are self inflicted from the riders pushing themselves too hard.

Stay safe. Don’t push your limits on the road. Welcome to the forum.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
Oil changes, chain adjustment, clutch adjustment are normal and easy things to do with the help of the manual. A little more technical is a valve adjustment but not hard with a few extra tools.
You can get a free manual download from Morphrider, just send him your email.

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Danny. Like Dez stated, send me a pm with a valid email and I can send over a service manual if you would like. Free of charge even.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huge thanks guys for all the positive feedback coming in, feel alot more confident with trying things when I know theres guys like you lot here that are able to give such good advice. I will send my email over morphrider. Heading out on the beast today for a rip down the country lanes to get myself more familiar with the machine!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to be a pain guys but I don't suppose you have any ideas in which the best speedo would be to use on a raptor? The one on it now is very basic and would like to invest in something more deserving 😎

cheers!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
KOSO makes some cool stuff. I love the KOSO RX-2N

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That one keeps grabbing my eye funnily enough. How easy are these to install for a novice such as meself? Currently got a trail tech on but isnt reading anything whilst riding, lights up etc but not reading any speeds etc.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
That one keeps grabbing my eye funnily enough. How easy are these to install for a novice such as meself? Currently got a trail tech on but isnt reading anything whilst riding, lights up etc but not reading any speeds etc.
Ive never installed a koso, but i have the trail tech also and it was pretty easy. I cant see why the koso would be much different. Pricey lil guy isnt it?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes mate, it's a very steep price compared to the majority of others out there, will be clocking the overtime in for a few weekends to buy something like that. I vacuum plate bolts for aeroplanes so I do get the luxury of being able to blast and spray parts at my work haha! Work hard play hard and what not! 😎 would love to blast and spray my frame up in the future!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes mate, it's a very steep price compared to the majority of others out there, will be clocking the overtime in for a few weekends to buy something like that. I vacuum plate bolts for aeroplanes so I do get the luxury of being able to blast and spray parts at my work haha! Work hard play hard and what not! 😎 would love to blast and spray my frame up in the future!
What have you got then dude if you dont mind me being nosey? I bet you got a right beast!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,442 Posts
I vacuum plate bolts for aeroplanes so I do get the luxury of being able to blast and spray parts at my work haha! Work hard play hard and what not! 😎 would love to blast and spray my frame up in the future!
I think all of us could use your services over on this side of the pond.
I've sold both of my Raptors. My wife's was pretty mild with exhaust, air cleaner and fuel controller.
Mine had a 5mm stroker, bigger throttle body, bigger valves, bigger cam, FCI intake. DMC dual exhaust and fuel controller. It made a little over 70 horsepower.
These components don't mean much but you'll learn.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would be more than happy to help out anyone if someone did want some shot blasting and paintwork done, also can vacuum plate smaller parts in aircraft aluminium to give it more shelf life and then spray over with a variety of colours.

I want to get more trained in the mechanical side of things, tinkered around with mountain bikes alot but that's just childs play compared to these machines! 70hp on a thing so light though, I bet that thing didnt hang around once given some throttle hey. The dual exhausts look proper mean 😎

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah sweet man! What sort of riding do you do ? Still getting used to mine and still scares the life out of me, suppose that keeps the cocky riding coming out of me 😄 I do road riding but I'm running off road tyres. Can I get a tyre wider than the wheel rim size I got now? As I cant find a road legal tyre to fit my current off road tyre size I currently have. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ah sweet man! What sort of riding do you do ? Still getting used to mine and still scares the life out of me, suppose that keeps the cocky riding coming out of me 😄 I do road riding but I'm running off road tyres. Can I get a tyre wider than the wheel rim size I got now? As I cant find a road legal tyre to fit my current off road tyre size I currently have. Any help would be appreciated
I just bought my new Raptor yesterday and have not ridden it yet, no street riding here in the US. This is my 4th 700, I usually ride trails, some motorcross jumps, open areas and friends acreage with creeks and such. You will get used to it, the 700 is very forgiving and easy to ride. Just respect it and you will be ok. You can go a little wider tire on the wheel, I would not go more than 2 inches wider though. Good to keep the tire close to wheel size. Their are a few road tires available here but never had a set before for the reason stated above. Don't know where you are from but Rocky Mountain ATV offers road tire and wheel combos. Been out of touch with them for awhile but since I'm back to offroad I will be hitting them up soon. Wish we could legally street ride here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you get the full use out of yours then with that sort of riding, I've watched videos of people in America tearing it up on the sand dunes, looks awesome. I'm in the UK so the street riding is legal here. Not lots of trails for a quad, not nearby anyway, sometimes go up to the mrs dads farm on the fields but nothing you lot have trail wise. And thanks for the info on the tyres. I didnt want to sell my off road tyres but also didnt want to buy new rims just to fit road tyres.

So what mods will you to do to your raptor then this time round? If you dont mind me being nosey 😄

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not at all being nosey lol. Yeah I will get full use of it doing what I do with it, I can ride the street around my neighborhood but not legal and wears nobbies down quick. Use to be dunes near me but place closed. A lot of sand dunes out West. As far as mods, nothing planned as yet. Had big 3 on my last 700 so we'll see in time. Maby a few little mods soon like case saver and such.

Road tires here have brands like Duro, GRP or something like that, called the Scortcher, Hoosier, a drag tire company here, usually soft compound for drag racing, and another that I forget on top of my head. Probably others but these are the well known ones.

Driving on the street legal is awesome and we are jealous, but imagine can get boring if no where else to tide. Hope you have places to ride and enjoy your quad!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts