Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone im chris and im new to the forum. i recently received an 01 660R GYT-R raptor as payment for an engine change i did for a friend. Seems to be a good deal, but boy was a wrong!!

The four wheeler has sat for over a year in my friends garage, figured no big deal, BUT turns out there is no spark. Figured maybe a bad plug so i put a new one in it and got nothing. Checked for spark right off the block and still had noting. figured it may be the stator so i unplugged the rectifier still no spark, so i figured the coil and i checked it with the DVOM and it seemed a little out of the ordinary to me so i purchased a new one put it on and still NO SPARK :( i got looking around and doing some research and come across this forum which has helped out a good bit. i saw a piece on the wires rubbing through for the CDI box, checked those and sure enough they were rubbed through so i fix that and still no spark. So i ordered a new CDI box from RMSTATOR and now have to wait 2 weeks for that to come in because they just so happened to be out of stock of the one i ordered , big bummer!

Anyways, any and all inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Welcome to the forum, lots of good info & people in hear. Mabe your stator is bad, did you test it yet?
Good luck..PS download the factory service manual.Its free to forum members, it is in a sticky in the maintenance section.

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The CDI seldomly fails. It's usually the stator. Let's see if we can find out whats wrong while you still have time to cancel the CDI order.

Unplug the regulator... if the stator has a particular common internal problem, this will return your spark.

Let us know what happens.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Did you try getting spark from just the sparkplug cable to the engine block, remove the cap and try at different gaps...........

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Got the manual in my sig and you can print or look it up from the link...Have fun im sure your gonna git r done!

Welcome to the forum...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did test the stator windings and found no faults with them. the kid i got the four wheeler from said he changed the stator on it. i believe it may be the electosport stator that he put on it but im not 100% sure.

the only thing im not sure of is the one plug coming off of the stator has two wires one green and the other an aqua color and the plug on the four wheelers harness is four wires on it.

i did also unplug the regulator hoping that would give me a sign towards the stator being bad but i still didnt have spark. i also tried a new cap on the coil wire. still had nothing. the only reason i figured it may be the CDI box is because of the wires being rubbed through right by the middle plug.

thanks for the input! :)

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
Measure between all stator wires (unplugged), to each other and to ground... if any have continuity to ground the stator is bad. The whites should have continuity to each other but no others, the red and white/blue should to each other, but no other and the white/red and white green should to each other but no other. If any of these are not as stated, stator is bad.

Also, check to make sure that the pulse coil is as close as it can get to the flywheel - some aftermarket stator assemblies have some slop here and too far away - no pulses - no spark.

Make sure the orange coil wire is securely tied to the coil and also its black ground wire.

This is all assuming that the CDI is getting power - does the reverse light work when in reverse and the starter turn over when you press the button? If so, it is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the stators all good. :) Turns out it was the CDI box. i got the new box today and plugged it in and after sitting for two years the old rap. fired right up. put some fresh gas in her and gave it an oil change and it runs like a top!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
the stators all good. :) Turns out it was the CDI box. i got the new box today and plugged it in and after sitting for two years the old rap. fired right up. put some fresh gas in her and gave it an oil change and it runs like a top!!
not sure if you did or not but after sitting for two years might wanna clean the carbs but it sounds like your not having problems in this area idk just a suggestion. my carbs where filthy

·
Master of the Electron
15,526 Posts
Great! Glad to hear it.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Sooooo did ya try it and if so how do you like it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestion :), i had the carbs a part today. The floats started sticking and flooding everything out. so i pulled them out and took them all apart. cleaned the needles all the little holes, everything. she runs like a champ now. :D

its a blast i must say, i deff missed having a four wheeler around. id like to lower it a little bit, i feel like im sitting to high and i think it would handle a little better if it sat a tad lower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts