Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for having me fellas. I'm from NW Indiana and just picked up a 06 350 raptor for my son and I. Right off I would like to jump in a do some mods. I'm 37 and the suspension beats the crap out of me. The last time I rode quads I was riding a 350R of a buddy that had some high dollar ohlins on it and it was just awesome. Safe to say I'm looking at suspension first!

Budget is as cheap as possible and I have searched around and the elkas are just a bit to steep. The question I have is. Who is running yzf 450 fronts without +2 or 3 a arms? Looks like these will indeed work despite seeing more than most saying no on them not working.

Sorry as I like to find what I'm after and not muddy the water with redundant questions but I would like to know who is running these.

Thanks much!
pics to come!
Ryan

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't run the YFZs without longer Arms. (Somebody correct me if i'm wrong though) I hear good things about works shocks, not as bad price wise as the elkas.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The YFZ shocks will fit (in theory) but they are longer than the stock shocks so it is going to lift the front end and add stress to your ball joints while decreasing leverage and "skinnying" up your front end. To run the YFZ shocks successfully you could do a widening kit from Diamond J Customs (the first pic attached) and that will space out the lower shock mount so you can fit the longer shocks. Having +2 or +3 a-arms still will not allow you to run the YFZ shocks because the lower shock mount is in the same location as stock, they will only give you more leverage. You would need some long travel a-arms that move the lower shock mount out further than stock for that setup to work. For only a couple hundred more than some good condition YFZ shocks you could get some brand new Works Steeler shocks that are built to your weight and riding style.

In the meantime, grab a big 'ol set of channel locks and loosen the preload rings on the front shocks all the way loose. That changed the feel of my 06 quite a bit and it rides much smoother now!

Another option to soften up the front end would be wider a-arms with stock shocks. They will add more leverage to the front end which will soften the ride a little bit and make it more stable. Full Flight a-arms aren't much more than YFZ shocks either!

Shocks....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Warr...71580&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

A-Arms...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raptor-350-...46154&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAPTOR-350-...56623&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

One thing to consider is that your buddy didn't have a low budget when he bought his Ohlins so with you trying to keep a small budget you will not have a ride quality similar to Ohlins. If a good ride is really what your after then you are better off spending another 100-200 and getting the correct parts for both your quad's fitment and your riding style/weight. Might be better off going with a cheaper exhaust and intake setup and spending a little more on the suspension. Just something to consider...

Robbie

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rappy, that quad in the pic has the Diamond J widening kit on it. You can see the black metal brackets spacing the mounting points of the a-arms out. That's how it gets wider. By spacing the a-arm mounting points out it also creates a longer distance between the upper and lower shock mounts, that's how the YFZ shocks fit in there. For the price of the Diamond J kit and good condition YFZ shocks you could get some +3 Full Flight arms and have a softer ride with the extended leverage of the a-arms but also gain more stability side to side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts