Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets Say I buy an FMF full exhaust along with a recomended air filter intake and the recommended EFI controller. Usually do manufacturers instructions say If you do a full system and high flow air filter and no Lid select this option?

Slip on only and high flow air filter with lid on select this other option? Is it like that? Or it is fully automatic tuning plug and play?

Or you have to figure it out and tune it yourself and hope for the best.

Is there an Exhaust manufacturer that you guys recommend that says install this full exhaust with no lid and high flow air filter and select this option and youre done or I am asking for too much? Also a dumb question... if the EFI controller messes up is the engine toast?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think it depends on the make of the fuel controller on how you set it up. some are done with a computer and i think others have an +/- button. i could be wrong.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,841 Posts
Go to TQS.com (Tech Quad Shop). Send a message to Steve, the owner and tell him what items you want in a package deal. He will map your controller, and give free maps for life if you add more items.

·
Registered
700 Posts
There are many to choose from but they boil down to two major types.
1. "Dobeck Style" programmable fuel controllers have +/- buttons to change your map
These usually cost between $150 and $250 and are typically paired with ANY aftermarket exhaust.
Depending on the Brand and Model, you will have from 3 to 8 'phases' that you can adjust between idle and acceleration and cruise.
2. "Power Commander" style programmers usually require a laptop and software to analyze, change and upload a fuel map that can contain a fuel map that is more of a constant graph rather than phases. These types of controller can be accessorized with 'Auto-Tuners' that require putting an O2 sensor in your header pipe. This allows the controller to self adjust the fuel/air ratio.
Power Commanders start at $350 and run up to $700 fully loaded.

If you are a performance freak that loves to tweak on the details and you use some often varying performance adders, then the Power Commander is the way to go.
For most riders, the simpler Dobeck style that comes as an accessory for your pipe is all you need.

I have the Big Gun version for my Big Gun EXO Duals. Cost was $199.
It required a very simple plug and play install. I had it set right on my first try.
I made some adjustments to get more bit it started to run rich and misfire so I backed it back down.
The controller is under my seat so I can make on the fly changes when needed. Like riding up in the mountains.

There is a programming simulator available somewhere on the web..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts