Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a Raptor 700 (first quad)

Have these front shocks been mounted correctly as they look a bit off?

Dan.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looking at that ad, first thing I'd say is I'm not aware of a 2005 Raptor 700. First year I have heard of was a 2006.

It looks like the front end at least has been lowered and it looks like the quad is set up as a street machine. Edit - just read the ad. Usually, a stock Raptor 700r would have the shock reservoir on the top of the shock but those shocks don't look stock to me. (Look at my attached photo of how stock shocks look on my 2009). Plus, the front lower arms would not be flat across like the one in your link.

Maybe others on here know more about street setups than me and would be able to answer if those shocks are mounted right.

If I were you, I would ask what year the quad is, and what happened or why it needed a full top-end rebuild - the quad is not "mint" if it needed a full top-end rebuild. I see a lot of stock-looking parts on the quad, engine wise. At the very least, hear the machine start up and run.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
Those aren't Raptor shocks, but something shorter to lower the front.

That quad would sell for about half of that price in the US.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He tells me "it's definitely a 2005 700" and regards to the rebuild, "the engine wouldn't tick over".
I think i will pass on this one, have my doubts now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's sold now.

What do you guys think of this:

First registered: Feb 2006 although it comes up as a 660 when using the reg? He tells me they all come up as 660.
Damn, never knew it would be this difficult to find a nice Raptor lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,016 Posts
As was no longer available. Take your time when looking at them, a good deal will come up. I have heard from other guys in your neck of the woods that the papers on those 06's come up as 660's for some reason. I think I looked at 4-5 before finding a decent one when my sister was looking last spring. Some have really been abused...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right, that's sold too! Has everyone decided they want a Raptor as soon as i want one lol.
I think with it still being winter it's a good time to buy as they are fairly well priced i think, come spring/summer these go for a lot more. I'm looking for one with low owners and clean, might have to increase my budget a bit too i think.
Fingers crossed, not giving up i will have one soon and will post pics!!!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
You're right, that's sold too! Has everyone decided they want a Raptor as soon as i want one lol.
I think with it still being winter it's a good time to buy as they are fairly well priced i think, come spring/summer these go for a lot more. I'm looking for one with low owners and clean, might have to increase my budget a bit too i think.
Fingers crossed, not giving up i will have one soon and will post pics!!!
If you can swing it, a Raptor 700 is a lot better bike then a 660.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Definitely try to find something local if you can. Buying from eBay is kind of a crap shoot you know?
Heck, I even remember the first Raptor I went to look at on Craigslist, the guy had the picture of it the day it he brought it home in mint condition, but when I got there to see it....WOW. two flat tires, plastics torn up, grab bar was ground down from wheelies, air filter literally was soaked in oil dripping out the bottom of the bike and the exhaust has leaks from crappy welds. And the dude still owed on his loan. He declined to mention ANY of this in the ad or when I called!
So just make sure you sit on it and wait for the right one to come. You’ll know. Be thorough bro.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure where else to look apart from eBay? I would prefer buying off the forum really at least then i know it's been taken care of.
I won't be buying a battered one, will wait for the right one.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Don’t you have local ads you can look in? Here in the states we have craigslist.com and everyone posts on that. Guaranteed to find a raptor for sale at almost any point in time. I think the east coast guys have some thing called the pennysaver too, just more local ads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah yeah, Gumtree for us! Trying everywhere at moment, eBay, Gumtree and FB. There are quite a few for sale but want the right one, has to be clean (i am ocd!).
Can't wait though!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Great that’s good to hear. No shortage of these things but they do go fast. Keep us updated brother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's here, seriously stunning :)
2012 700r
Will post pics when it's all clean!
Can't wait to get out on it now :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Noice. So what’s the first mod gonna be ??

·
Registered
209 Posts
Don't know if this question was directed for me, but if so, maby a slip on. Just dropped a ton of cash on this bike and not ready for the Big 3 yet. I could always sell the slip on later.
I'd skip the slip-on and just ride it for now. Congrats!

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts