Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I picked up a used 700 last summer. It has a Power Commander, intake, and HMF slip-on exhaust on it. It's fast enough for me but a buddy just picked up a yfz 450 and got his all hopped up so it's pretty quick now. What else can I do to mine that isn't real extensive? Sorry for the newbie question like I said I'm new to the whole racing scene, been around 4 wheelers all my life, just not these. Mostly sand riding and drag racing is what I use it for.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
555 Posts
Put some compression in it with a 11:5.1 TQS piston and a HotCam 2 for more low/mid or the Hotcam 3 for more mid/top end power. That'll run you about $350 with a used cam. Next would be a +3 TB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put some compression in it with a 11:5.1 TQS piston and a HotCam 2 for more low/mid or the Hotcam 3 for more mid/top end power. That'll run you about $350 with a used cam. Next would be a +3 TB.
Thank you for the reply. Would you strongly recommend doing the piston as well? I have heard a couple people didn't notice the loss of low end power with the addition of a cam, would the piston benefit me that much?

Thanks again

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about duals? What intake do you have? What kind of quad/s did you have before the Raptor?
I wouldn't mind duals, not sure if I want to spend that much when it already has a slip on. I believe it has a K&N intake. I just had utility ATV's before this one. A couple Kawasaki Prairies...this is a whole different animal haha.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
It is amazing how much different utility quads are. The main "Big 3" are Barker/DMC/DASA/Monster Duals, FCI Intake, and PC5 or PCIII. Once you start modding, you will want more and more and more parts....

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
K&N isn't bad for now,FCI will gain quite a bit. But look into the Sparks single it does close to what duals do power wise.

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
First I'd ditch the slip on. It doesn't produce much power gain, Duals, any set will help you much more. Second, the intake you have is ok, but you will get more power out of an FCI, and the great thing about an FCI is the more add ons you get, the more power it will help you produce from those ad ons. Next I'd look into a Cam, Hot Cams stage 3 was recommended to me, but I'm still researching.

My buddy has an 09 YFZ 450R and he's got quite a few mods, Performance wise, it's the big 3 with an MSD blaster, K&N, and DASA exhaust, he also has an older YFZ intake cam. He produces less HP than me, but we are incredibly close racing. In a very short race and off the line he's got me. It all depends on Shifting, and launch, the raptor has to short shift, and most of the time I'm better starting in second, if we have a long enough race, once I hit 4th I'm pretty much gone, but we need space for that.

You shouldn't have any problems selling your stuff that you have now.. someone out there is wanting to be cheap and buy slip ons until they figure out they need more.. Tech quad shop, and KB both have great deals on Barkers, DMC's, Dasa Duals, and FCI intakes!

Here's an example, my buddy has a Raptor, PC3, and Barker Duals, with a ModQuad K&N, he ran 48HP after dyno tune, Mine, same Dyno guy, has barker duals, PC5, and FCI intake Ran 52.61 HP. Only difference is the PC5 and FCI, mostly I attribute the gain to the FCI.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
K&N isn't bad for now,FCI will gain quite a bit. But look into the Sparks single it does close to what duals do power wise.
He means the xx6 but just so you know its crazy loud and you can't quiet it down at all as it is for racing/draging but it is the best single out there followed by the x6 which you can put qc's on and sparkys

·
Registered
555 Posts
Unless your building an engine with big breathing capability you don't really need duals. Stick with your s/o for now. Your money is better spent else where at this point. You can always change it out later if you need a better exhaust.
The thing with doing a cam only is with the stock, lame ass 9.2:1 compression you'll be adding valve opening/closing duration and that will further reduce your effective dynamic compression ratio. You need to add a higher comp piston to get the dynamic compression back. Ya, I know, you can do a cam only and several have but it's like taking two steps forward and another backwards. Since you asked for my recommendation, I say do both at the same time.
There are better intakes perhaps but at what cost. For your build the one you have is fine. Keep it clean and well serviced.
If your all about riding sand and some dragging then I might be inclined to go with the HC3.

·
272 Posts
Any engine that breathes better makes more power.. You can do all sorts of work to your engine, increase head size, increase TB size.. If your intake isn't capable of giving the air it needs to get into it, and your exhaust isn't capable of pushing it out.. then you're restricting your overall potential for gain. That's why most people go for a propper big 3 first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys for the great responses. My buddy put a Sparks exhaust on his 450 and it is loud as hell, I don't think I want mine that loud but duals are so pricey. Now it looks like I need to decide if I want to ditch my slip on and get a new intake and exhaust or leave those two and go piston/cam. A new intake and exhaust I can do myself where as I would probably have a shop do the piston/cam just so I know it's done right.

Thanks again guys!

·
272 Posts
If you're anything like me, eventually you'll end up with them all.. It's just where to start.. A cam you should be able to do yourself.. There are videos all over youtube on them. If you do look at pipes, watch the threads, you'll find used and even new barkers or DMC's for good deals. DMC's new pop up around 500, Barkers New from KB and even TQS can be had in the 579 range, you get a better deal calling then advertised online. I'm in the same boat with a buddy on a YFZ, and we learned this weekend getting ours dyno'd that I'll need about 10 more HP than him to beat him in an 1/8th mile drag! That is if we are both on our shifting and Launch. So in the back of your head with what ever route you're going.. Keep in mind that you'll need to be 10HP ahead of him.. Totally do able just takes time and money. Patiently watch for deals, dont just run out and buy, if you can wait for it.. the deals on everything pop up.. Piston, cams, pipes, everything! Good Luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're anything like me, eventually you'll end up with them all.. It's just where to start.. A cam you should be able to do yourself.. There are videos all over youtube on them. If you do look at pipes, watch the threads, you'll find used and even new barkers or DMC's for good deals. DMC's new pop up around 500, Barkers New from KB and even TQS can be had in the 579 range, you get a better deal calling then advertised online. I'm in the same boat with a buddy on a YFZ, and we learned this weekend getting ours dyno'd that I'll need about 10 more HP than him to beat him in an 1/8th mile drag! That is if we are both on our shifting and Launch. So in the back of your head with what ever route you're going.. Keep in mind that you'll need to be 10HP ahead of him.. Totally do able just takes time and money. Patiently watch for deals, dont just run out and buy, if you can wait for it.. the deals on everything pop up.. Piston, cams, pipes, everything! Good Luck!
Thanks man!

·
Registered
131 Posts
if you can wait for it... that is SO true...

i bought my raptor pretty close to how it sits now.. fmf slip-on. k&n intake, was told it has a cam, but no specifics that i can remember, jetted. the motor has ALWAYS started within a few cranks, no matter how cold. at this point i'm watching and looking for a good deal. the weather is too shitty to enjoy much riding right now, but i do have a few items i'd like to pick up if the right deal came along.

the upgrades, like you said, are such big money, that i'm hesitant to spend that kind of money on a 10 year old machine. i mean, i've sat there and make the excel spreadsheets of what i'd do if i had the money, and the numbers are staggering. i could buy a new quad for most of my lists..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would I have a noticeable improvement if I swapped out my intake and threw on a decent single exhaust like a Sparks or some duals compared to the slip on I have now?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Would I have a noticeable improvement if I swapped out my intake and threw on a decent single exhaust like a Sparks or some duals compared to the slip on I have now?

Yeah you would notice a gain, what you have right now is barley over stock, so you open that thing it up and let it breath and you would love it. IMO if your doing the piston and cam, sure it makes more power but its still going to be working that much harder to get air in and out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i would get a full exhaust before anything else. it makes a difference! a single would be cheaper, and probably be enough unless you go with a big bore, stroked out monster like half of the guys on here. i have the sparks x6 and its pretty loud, but it does need repacked though. then add a piston and cam followed with a dyno tune, or just the exhaust and dyno. i just installed a tech 11.5:1 piston and hc2 and it was only like $400 to my door with everything i needed from www.tqsatv.com . but call them! i guess you get better deals. :(

if you don't dive into the motor, you wont beat him (in a straight line) if that 450 motor has been opened up. but the exhaust will help you out more than anything else at this point. once you get that, then everything else will work much better. $$$ is the key to being fast. always was, and always will be. :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i would get a full exhaust before anything else. it makes a difference! a single would be cheaper, and probably be enough unless you go with a big bore, stroked out monster like half of the guys on here. i have the sparks x6 and its pretty loud, but it does need repacked though. then add a piston and cam followed with a dyno tune, or just the exhaust and dyno. i just installed a tech 11.5:1 piston and hc2 and it was only like $400 to my door with everything i needed from www.tqsatv.com . but call them! i guess you get better deals. :(

if you don't dive into the motor, you wont beat him (in a straight line) if that 450 motor has been opened up. but the exhaust will help you out more than anything else at this point. once you get that, then everything else will work much better. $$$ is the key to being fast. always was, and always will be. :lol:
Thanks for the reply. I don't think his motor has been opened up, he just got an exhaust, intake and it "jetted" obviously I need to do some studying up because I know nothing about these things so maybe jetted mean it has been opened. I might throw a full single exhaust on and work on the intake and see where we match up from there.

Thanks again for all of the responses!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts