Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new to riding and to atv's so i need a few newbie questions answered. The two questions I have are about riding. What is the best way to get through whoops? I went down a long stretch of them and tired out half way through. I hear you just kind of mash it and find the sweet spot but damn I was whooped and the dirt bike I was riding with just took off. Any suggestions? The other is making a high speed turn on a trail. What is the best way to make a turn without rolling it etc. Weight distribution? gassing it to slide ass end around?

I just bought the 700 about a month and a half ago so I am getting comfortable. I am riding mostly desert trails and mountains. I have not tried out sand yet. I live in Vegas so anyone who can suggest some great close by one daqy rides and trails would be appreciated.

I just bought HMF sport system with PC3 and pro flow intake. Still waiting on the pipes they are about another two weeks away. The color I ordered made it a custom.

Thanks for the newbie help. Any other driving tips would be great. I want to make sure I am not learing bad habbits.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
not to fimilar with the woops but if your gassing and sliding around cornners and not wrecking then you doing somthing right. just keep your ass as far on the inside as you can, and if you feel t starting to bite then steer into it so you dont flip. just keep practicing and you figure out the weight distribution thing. welcome to the site, you will learn alot from these guys if you spend the time reading. WARNING this site is addictive! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
There are two "philosophies" when it comes to whoops that I'm aware of: gas it and let the suspension absorb the bumps or try to jump every second or third one.
Both take practice to pull off successfully and either can leave you feeling somewhat whooped afterwards.
I borrow a bit from both philosophies.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I lean bath and hit the throttle for whoops. I also make sure I'm squared up with them, if you hit them at an angle the ass end is gonna bounce back and forth. Thats what I do anyway. :thumbsup: The turning thing is just feel and expierience, it also depends a lot on the surface type.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
So your question is about tips hummm. Let’s see what I have that I can give ya. Corner is hard for me as well but to be honest I don’t think the stock tires are good for cornering. Me, I always seem to push, meaning I can’t turn because the tires want to go up instead of down low. I have always tried whipping the rear end around with the gas and my ass. It kind of works for me but I’m still working on cornering so only time will tell.
When jumping, try to start small and work your way up. Try the jump in 1st then 2nd and if you have big enough balls try WOT 3rd. LOL that will make you shit ya pants. LOL I tried it this weekend with SMIB (1st post) and I hit a nice size jump in 3rd and man was I flying. Scared the shit out of me and my landing wasn’t all that great but shit it was fun. I was like, hey look at me I’m flying. Funny shit I know. SMIB has pic of me landing that one. Front right tire and shock were fullllllyyyy compressed.
Mudding is always fun. The trick to mudding is to know your limits or at least find your limits. LOL I found some my limits weekend as well. Also when you get stuck in the thick mud, don’t just WOT it, hit it and let go and repeat. If not the raptors torque will just get you in a lot of trouble, meaning you will just diggggg. Then it’s just a pain in the ass when your fucking tire deep in mud and it take 3 ppl to get ya out. Don’t get me wrong its fun getting muddy but it’s a bitch when ya get stuck.
Hill climbs, my favorite. The trick to hill climbing is leeeeeeeeaannn foreward and never touch the rear brakes. If you do, you will just flip overrr. Always take a good look at the hill first and fine your line. Make sure these no small bumps that will make your front end come up like mine did this weekend. Its fun if you can make it over them safely but its hell when ya roooolll back LOL. When I first go up a hill nobody has been up, I usually go WOT because I don’t want to lose momentum. Like I said just pick a line and go with it.
These are just my tips and they could be wrong or they could be right. Just use common sense when it comes to riding and always wear helmet. Good luck and have fun -- WOODY

·
Registered
67 Posts
if your looking to fly across them lean back as far as you can and pin it. if the woops are deep enough you can jump them. if not try pullin the front end up and wheelie across them. there are woops every where around where i go. you really just have to get used to them and find how ever your most comfortable doin things. as for turns if your turning on a flat track then u would want to slide your ass end out a little but if your in a rutted area lean as far into the turn as you can. thats what i do. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
209 Posts
When turning, you have to remember that unlike a car, there is no differential. Beacuse of this, when you're trying to turn, both rear tires are going the same speed and trying to keep you going in a straight line.
It helps to keep your weight on the OUTSIDE footpeg while you turn. This lets the inside tire lift some and lose traction, so it's not fighting the front tires through the turn.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Whoops are hard work and tiring but your fitness and strength to hold on will improve rapidly if you ride often enough.

As said lean back, get the front end up and take those suckers on, the 3 mods will make this alot easier. Just be sure to look far enough ahead to spot the woop thats there to burn your arse (alot bigger than the rest).

If you have'nt got decent suspension (SE at least) you are going to be greatly restricted in just how fast you can take the whoops.

·
Registered
67 Posts
another thing, when you get goin on those woops dont try to slow down to quickly or turn suddenly, cause you'll probably end up in front of the bike, then under the bike...when in doubt throttle it out :metal:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips. I was more in the center of the bike for the whoops when i tried them so I can't wait to try and lean back and let it go. I will let you know how it goes hopefully not over the bars. :thumbsup:

The cornering thing is really slowing me down on the trails when i ride with others. I have a big ride and camping trip scheduled in May at Moab and I want to be able to keep up but not risk wrecking every turn. I guess I just need more seat time to get the hang of it.

Woody- yeah I dared the 3rd gear jump this weekend. I had two different results. The first time I was to far forward on the bike and came down nose first. The second time I was trying to correct this and basically stood the bike straight up while in the air. :eek: Both scared the crap out of me of me but know I know the two extremes. I did not know you could control the bike that much in the air. The jump i was hitting was just a table top (water retention basin) so it was not too bad of a landing.

Thanks for the tips all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah about the learning from everyone. This site has taught me alot. I have been lurking for about three months before I purchased the bike. So by the time I went to purchase I kinda knew what I was talking about at the dealer.

This site is great.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where in LV are you? Apex isa a good place to go, has sand as well as good steep dirt hills. Dumont is about 1.5 hours away, so is Amargosa. Im in Mountains Edge and head out to the trails behind the development all the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in the north west right now but moving to the durango and 215 area. I usually ride around there. I put in alot at the retension basin on blue diamond and ft apache area and go south all the way to the Jean dry lake bed. My buddy just moved into a house there.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Something I learned from this site about third-gear (or any gear, really) jumps: the throttle and brakes work in the air too.
Say you launch and feel like you're going to land nose first. The throttle will help bring the nose up. Conversely, the rear brake will help point the nose down.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Retension basin south of blue diamond or north? I know I can get to a retension basin from Mnts Edge without crossing blue diamond, is that the one? Those caves near ft apache are cool places to ride too.

drn1234 said:
I am in the north west right now but moving to the durango and 215 area. I usually ride around there. I put in alot at the retension basin on blue diamond and ft apache area and go south all the way to the Jean dry lake bed. My buddy just moved into a house there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I park my truck on the north side of Blue Diamond at the basin and either ride those caves or I cross blue diamond and go to the south retension basin (the one you can get to form MT Edge) We will then go south on those trails all the way back to the mountains and on through to Jean.

Where else kinda local do you ride? Like the blue diamond area? Just kind quick rides if you do not have alot of time. I heard of a place near boulder too. Have you rode there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts