Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So other than my first mod of removing the "WARNING" stickers that were rivetted onto the 700r. Which was just time consuming. This mod is a piece of cake. Simply unplug spark plug wire from the spark plug, remove spark plug, compare the gaps and they both should be at .030, install new plug and put back the spark plug wire and your set. The plug is easy to access so there should be no probs for anyone. The OEM plug is a NGK R, resistor type of plug and the replacement in my case is a NGK Iridium plug, go here for more info: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/motorcycles/iridiumix.asp?nav=12000&country=US

From my past experiences on using the NGK Iridium types of plugs, I went ahead and went ahead and installed this plug. I've good results from this type of NGK plug. Now onto the results, the 700r idles smoother, accelerates smoother and its just a overall improvement. I like the results.

Heres a few pics:

NGK R CR8E

NGK R CR8E close up

NGK R part number

NGK Iridium CR8EIX

NGK Iridium CR8EIX close up

NGK Iridium CR8EIX from NKG's website

NGK Iridium CR8EIX from NKG's website

Any questions or comments PM or post up.
This is for everyones info and what I found to be an easy, inexpensive mod to do.

Thanks everyone and enjoy,
Mr. C

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Iridium has some advantages. It has a higher melting point than platinum, and is very conductive. However, I would check with the manufacturer on what type plug to use, or refer to your owners manual. Contrary to belief, they do not put that information in your owners manual to make it thicker.

After some research on the topic, it is recommended resistor spark plugs be used in any motor that has on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. Use of a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.

We talked about going to a long life iridium plug in the airplane I fly. We heard that there was an advantage of going to these type of plugs. The reason: The iridium plug provides a more efficient spark in lean conditions, and is good for high temperature use.<Since other people who fly the same airplane don't always use the mixture controls as they should!> This causes longer engine run up times at higher rpms before take off to burn off carbon deposits on the plugs. After doing research on this, consulting the mechanic who maintains the aircraft, I mentioned the information I found to the owner. It may not seem like a big deal, but erratic idle, high rpm misfires, and power loss are HUGE factors in aircraft. It's not a chance I would even take in my own car.

As a rule, performance is in no way impaired by resistor spark plugs. The only exception to this may be some models of engines with a high output CDI specify non-resistor plugs.

I would not recommend this plug unless your bike is highly tunned, or recommended by the manufacturer. Iridium and platinum plugs have enabled longer plug life in engines that are designed to run extremely lean mixtures or in some high performance applications where combustion pressures and temperatures are extremely high due to turbo charging, supercharging, and/or nitrous oxide injection.

Sorry to ramble guys, but I don't think it's money well spent.

Again, just my two cents.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Flynbyu said:
After some research on the topic, it is recommended resistor spark plugs be used in any motor that has on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. Use of a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.
models of engines with a high output CDI specify non-resistor plugs.

-Brian
The stock CR8E and the above mentioned CR8EIX are BOTH resistor plugs. The ONLY difference between the two plugs is that the CR8EIX uses the more efficient Irridium electrode. They do work very well. I've been using the CR8EIX ever since I cold start fouled my first stock plug. I have had no issues with it whatsoever and it does perform better and it is more foul resistant.

I think you may have mis-read the post.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
BJH said:
Flynbyu said:
models of engines with a high output CDI specify non-resistor plugs.

-Brian

The stock CR8E and the above mentioned CR8EIX are BOTH resistor plugs. The ONLY difference between the two plugs is that the CR8EIX uses the more efficient Irridium electrode. They do work very well. I've been using the CR8EIX ever since I cold start fouled my first stock plug. I have had no issues with it whatsoever and it does perform better.
Good info, I didn't realize they were both resistor plugs. I learned something new today. Of course, I was under the assumption that it was a non-resistor type plug.

Thanks for the correction! :thumbsup:

-Brian

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
<----I had to do something do compete with Velociraptor's avatar. :woot:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You are right though about using NON-resistor type plugs in any ECM controlled vehicle. That's a no-no. Even in an older non computer car. Unless of course you like to listen to your ignition through the stereo. :lol:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Flynbyu said:
BJH said:
In the event of a water landing, those could be used as floatation devices.

I swear to God they could.

-Brian
I have one that is not covered with a bra but I didn't think the local moderator would appreciate that.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
BJH said:
Flynbyu said:
BJH said:
In the event of a water landing, those could be used as floatation devices.

I swear to God they could.

-Brian
I have one that is not covered with a bra but I didn't think the local moderator would appreciate that.
Screw them.

<JUST KIDDING !!!!!>

I would!

We do have some underage lil' fellas on the forum.

Those look like they belong to a certain model...I'm thinking..Sydney Moon?

SCHA-WING.

-B-

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NVMYRC said:
Is it just me or is the left flotation device running a little low? :grin_nod:

Craig,
You know, I was just thinking the same thing. At first I was like what the heck is he talking about, but I got it, a lil late but I did get it, eventually, LOL

:thumbsup:

;)

Mr. C

·
Registered
735 Posts
im using one on my 660, i like it, it idles smoother, but dont belive it would make a real differance unless the engine is really modified. I use it with a 11.5:1 piston and it seems to start easier too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SWFRider said:
I just got mine and will try it out this weekend.
Let us know how it works out for you, afterwards.

Thanks,
Mr. C

·
Registered
78 Posts
no difference here....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Unless your plug was old or worn out you shouldn't feel much difference if any at all. It is more efficient and may smooth your idle but I don't think there is any HP to be picked up here. Just the dynamics on how a plug does what it does. Now if you had a PC you might be able to add some more fuel now, very small amount, because it burns more efficiently but at this point it is just my assertion. Might cool your header pipe down a little, maybe.

Craig,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts