Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to this board and i first would like to say hello to everyone.
I just bought a 03 raptor limited edition. This is my first Yamaha and i love it. It has a fmf titaium slip on pipe and razor tires on all four corners. All my friends have 450r's and yfz 450's and are out running me. Has anyone every put a nitrous kit on a 660 and would it be safe to do it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
unless you are drag racing it is not safe at all and even then you run a great risk, plus unless you have some heavy duty motor work done to your bike then you will also run the risk of detonation. you need special pistons and rods and etc. the stockers will shatter under that kind of pressure :eek:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Like killer said it won't be a good idea, first you need either a a programmable ignition to retard your timing (to avoid detonation and/or 113 octane (somewhere in that area) to help offset the detonation.
Thats just a start...
unless your planning on breaking speed records or drag racing don't make it an option.

·
Registered
320 Posts
yeah man I got some tips for you. You dont need no nos kit to beat your buddys. You can start with geting yourself a full exhust system then a jet kit and better air flow" k&n/proflow filter and or airbox mod or no lid. probley spend 400-600 depending what brand you want the jetkit and exhust to be.

then from there buy you a high compression piston and cam you spend around 240 for both on ebay im geting wiseco and hotcams. You can bore/hone your cylender out when you change piston for only around 50-75 intown or thru trinity you wont spend much extra for bigger size piston. If you stick with stock size than have it hone. I paid 20bucks intown. from there you can go with better valves/springs valve job /port and polish and from there you can get a stroker crankrod complete for 360-400. Dont forgt heavy duty clutch pack and a new better 1way starter. Hoped I helped I would never go nos untill I had the motor parts maxed out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
akawilliam said:
yeah man I got some tips for you. You dont need no nos kit to beat your buddys. You can start with geting yourself a full exhust system then a jet kit and better air flow" k&n/proflow filter and or airbox mod or no lid. probley spend 400-600 depending what brand you want the jetkit and exhust to be.

then from there buy you a high compression piston and cam you spend around 240 for both on ebay im geting wiseco and hotcams. You can bore/hone your cylender out when you change piston for only around 50-75 intown or thru trinity you wont spend much extra for bigger size piston. If you stick with stock size than have it hone. I paid 20bucks intown. from there you can go with better valves/springs valve job /port and polish and from there you can get a stroker crankrod complete for 360-400. Dont forgt heavy duty clutch pack and a new better 1way starter. Hoped I helped I would never go nos untill I had the motor parts maxed out
Thanks for the help. What size jets do you think i should run. I live in KY and i'll probally put in a k&n and a new exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
William has a some good ideas.

If you want cheapest route- ( My opinion) you just need a head pipe for your exhaust
K&n filter / run with no lid
get a 11:1 piston (runs pump gas) 100mm
stage 1 cam (stage 2 needs spring kit-extra $120)
re-jet.. jet kit needed if you don't have one
total should be around $600 plus labor
a 686 kit is about $60 more for bore and hone

you should beable to run with the yfz's or trx's

If you want to staight smoke them your lookin more around $1000-$2000 depending on your wallet size and if your doing the wrench time. Doing the work yourself will save you a lot of money, but if you've never cracked a motor open before, especially a motorcycle motor, then I advise against it...your decision though.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Nitrous is a relatively cheap way to get an extra boost of hp, if it's used correctly. If you're not very experienced with it I'd suggest the boondockers fogger kit which injects at the air filter. You can see between 10-20 hp gains. If you do it right and follow the directions for setup and when riding you won't hit the reliability too badly on an otherwise stock engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts