Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
no 5th gear - update added pics

hey all, i have an 07 raptor 700 and i have lost my 5th gear in the machine. it runs fine, shifts fine 1-4, no grinds, no metal in the oil. when i shift to 5th gear, it just revs like its in neutral. has anyone ever seen this issue before? i would think if a shift fork was bent, or there was a problem with the shift drum, it wouldn't shift at all. also, if there was a problem with the actual gear, then there would be metal shavings in the oil. i'm thinking it may be an issue with the shift drum segment (drum type piece behind the clutch), or maybe with the linkage to the shift shaft. any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
It sounds like the shift fork maybe bent or for some reason it's not moving the gears over like it should. You most likly are going to tear it apart and see what's actually going on in there. The no grinding or metal in the oil is a good sign.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
Does your clutch still grab hard in the rest of the gears?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your clutch still grab hard in the rest of the gears?
yes, the clutch grabs real well in the other four. the clutch is actually new, so it shouldn't be that. its literally like neutral in 5th. it doesn't even lunge forward (like they'll do when the clutch is dragging) or try to move.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like the shift fork maybe bent or for some reason it's not moving the gears over like it should. You most likly are going to tear it apart and see what's actually going on in there. The no grinding or metal in the oil is a good sign.
you could be right. i just find it odd that it comes completely out of gear, and doesn't even touch the next gear. as little as those gears move on the shaft, i'd think it would drag on one of the gears and grind either 4th or 5th......just seems odd to me, but the more reading i do, the more i'm beginning to agree with you.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
you could be right. i just find it odd that it comes completely out of gear, and doesn't even touch the next gear. as little as those gears move on the shaft, i'd think it would drag on one of the gears and grind either 4th or 5th......just seems odd to me, but the more reading i do, the more i'm beginning to agree with you.
there's a few different shift forks in there so the one that moves the 5th gear over could be messed up some how.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i'm gonna split the case and see whats going on. does anyone have pictures or an explanation on what shift fork does what? is there a shift fork solely devoted to 5th gear, b/c its odd that the other 4 gears work flawless?

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
From what I can see there is a spacer between the drive and the 5 gear wheel, if that spacer broke off clean you might not see metal in your oil, that could cause the gear to move out of place and miss the other drive!?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
no 5th gear - now with pics

This is what i found when i split the cases last night. it looks like the dogs on the gear are rounded off, and the shift fork has some grinding wear on it. not sure what happened to the shift fork, but it must have been bent and the gear is rubbing on it. it also looks like the gear in the picture is the "3rd pinion gear". how does that relate to 5th gear? its the only gear i can see that moves when you manually shift it to 5th gear. the gears on either side of the worn gear show some wear too, but i'm not sure i need to replace them or not. does anybody have any insight on what should be replaced? can i get away with just replacing the 3rd pinion and the fork?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts