Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have question, not sure if it should be here or maintenance, but no matter, we can Discuss...Maintenance.

After fixing the Left back wheel setting itself free issue, changed drive gear, and put the filter on, now this is the first real time with the filter installed, did not have it when i bought it. Noticed that it would spit and sputter when i took off, then died. Stopped, took the filter back off...ran great, well except for quarter-throttle in second, it will hesitate a little, but when opened up its gone!!!. Question being, has this thing been jetted, or the carbs out of adjustment.....or guessing it could be either. I wish there was a guru that lived close to me that could ride and check this thing out. It does run great..rode the hell out of it yesterday.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Post your mods(Pipe,Filter set up, Airbox mods and stuff like that and see what jetting everyone is running that has comparable mods and see what jet you have and list them. That is the only way to tell if it has been jetted. QM or Willy are the jetting masters here so hope they chime in.

Air filter should be run all the time. I'm sure you don't want to mess up the motor from something that could have been prevented.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Only on the road a little bit, no dirt or mud. I live in beckley west virginia. But yeah need to tweak on it a little after putting the filter back on.

Sooo, it litterally will not stay running with filter on, what should i start adjusting First after putting it back on.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
probably the guy jetted it to rich thinking the more gas is more power....later to find out it was only lean enough with the filter off....check the spark plug I bet its black and sooty. and you'll need to clean the carbs and give us the numbers off of the jets

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Are you describing with and without the air filter, or the air box lid, or both? Are you replacing just the filter and seeing these changes, or putting filter AND lid back on and seeing them?

Whatever you're doing, the jetting when the 'stuff' is installed is set too rich. Turn fuel screws in (clockwise) 1/4 to 1/2 turn each and see if idle and coming onto throttle gets better. Then see what happens at about mid throttle and wide open throttle. If it runs better with the 'stuff' removed, then things are still too rich - at WOT it's the main jets, at mid-throttle it's the needles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happening when I put the filter back on and the lid. Thanks though, i will start there. As far as mods, i am fairly sure there is none on this bike. I do know when i bought it, the guts were out of the exhaust, and no air filter. But for $500.00, and it runs good...so far..pssshhht can not beat that.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Put the lid on and jet for that, or cut holes in the lid leave jetting where it is.

I suspect carbs are dirty, but that usually leads to lean conditions - you're seeing rich. My guess? Guy had mods on the bike that he had jetted for, then he removed them to sell separately, but didn't rejet.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
just for fun you should see how easy the exhaust bolts are to remove...if they turn without much effort he probably had a pipe removed before selling, if they are tough it would have been the stock pipe...but don't try too hard if they don't move

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have noticed fuel dripping out of the right carb, out of the drain tube. Guess I need to take them off, see what size jets, clean real well, and do some adjusting.
Yep time for a good cleaning and a rebuild kit...You at least have a bad float vale seat. I'm sure Willy and Quad will also recommend #25 pilot jets while your in there. Vito's sells a jet kit that comes with the #25 pilots, an assortment of main jets, aftermarket needle's, and finger adjustable fuel screws. Although its not a complete rebuild kit it is well worth the money if you plan on adding some mods to your new toy. Keep us posted on your progress

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good deal, new i came to the right place..... I will order the jet kit. Now does the rubuild kit come with the same choices of jets or just the stock ones. May have to get both the rebuild and jet kit...??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts