Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock sized K&N with no lid (secured the filter with some screws) and an outerwears cover.

Will I see enough of a difference to warrant the price of one of those aluminum airboxes or a pro-flo kit?

·
Registered
364 Posts
yes...the larger kn air filter allows more flow. Spend the extra $100 bucks and sell your stocker kn for $25 and get yourself the real deal....good luck,

Max

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Go with the pro-flow or equivalent. If you don't have the clamp on adapter, you need the lid. Even at best, the stock setup is crap and allows dirt/grit past the mating surfaces of the filter and airbox. The clamp on setup is the only way to go, wether you choose to run the lid or not.

Reactions: RaptorRock

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I did is I took the lid off and then sank a couple of sheet metal screws in from the outside of the box into the top edge of the filter, and put some grease on the mating surface of the filter... no dirt is getting in that way!!!

I guess I'm just concerned as to wether or not this filter has enough surface area to support a 686 build.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Just keep your eyes peeled on ebay or the classifieds here for a used one. You should be able to pick one up for no more than $50-$60 if you're patient. Lots easier to service and no need for grease.

BTW, what part of Northern Illinois are you in? I grew up north of Belvidere, but I live in God's country now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
no, you wont get everything out of the 686 kit that you would with the clamp on style filter.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
russ said:
Just keep your eyes peeled on ebay or the classifieds here for a used one. You should be able to pick one up for no more than $50-$60 if you're patient. Lots easier to service and no need for grease.

BTW, what part of Northern Illinois are you in? I grew up north of Belvidere, but I live in God's country now. :thumbsup:
I was born in Rockford, grew up in Chicago, and even spent a few years out in Idaho.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
pewterpecker said:
russ said:

I was born in Rockford, grew up in Chicago, and even spent a few years out in Idaho.
My dad worked in Rockford for years, at Sundstrand down on Harrison Ave. and Grandpa lived on Riverside right by Martin Park. Small world sometimes.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
your most powerful setup would be no box at all. Aluminum airboxes are nice too if they dont restrict the flow too much.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I just cut my airbox down to literally the two supports, the part that connects to the adapter, and thats it... it works nice, the only difference i saw between this setup was increased airflow and i no longer had a box full of sand at the end of a ride...

·
Registered
206 Posts
i have just a regular k&n with the outerware on mine and i always run with the lid on. i was gonna take it off but my dad saw me and thought i was crazy for doing that before i went to the dunes. so i was wondering has anybody ever had any trouble after you removed your lid? :3question:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
yea i know that but i was gonna screw the filter to the box with screws. ever had a problem with that.....anyone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.