Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been taking my damn carbs off for the past 15 times because it keeps leaking from the drain screw...
I keep thinking my float needle is getting stuck and wont go up when the bowl fills up with gas
is there anything i should do?? Steel wool in the float needle valve?
i dont wanna buy a new valve and needle, could it be orings? they lookfine but could they be leaking a littlebit?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ive been taking my damn carbs off for the past 15 times because it keeps leaking from the drain screw...
I keep thinking my float needle is getting stuck and wont go up when the bowl fills up with gas
is there anything i should do?? Steel wool in the float needle valve?
i dont wanna buy a new valve and needle, could it be orings? they lookfine but could they be leaking a littlebit?
There are orings around the seat part of the needle and seat, these do dry out, or the needle and seat could be leaking..............or the float level could be too high.............;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the float level being too high, would bending the tab on the float where the needle hangs on it fix that problem?? i kept trying to screw in the bottom screw that lets the float drain out... but it still leaks so i started taking the carb apart and no matter how many times i blow it out..... Dammit. ill probably go on motosport and order new orings.. if that doesnt work ill probably have to buy new needles and valves

·
Registered
80 Posts
You might drain gas out of the tank and see if you had some dirt in the fuel tank or lines. Your carb could be clean till more dirty gas gets in...

I had dirt get into my 5 gallon gas tank that I fill up my lawn mower, generator, leaf blower, ect... and I spend a lot of time cleaning carbs till I realized that it was in the tank and it didn't matter how many times I clean the carbs the tank needed to be cleaned out.

·
Registered
505 Posts
check ur tank, make sure ur float level isnt set too high and like willy said, that the o-ring on the seat isnt dry. If you do get new needles/seats...get a set off a grizzly 660. They have a bigger inner diameter and can flow more fuel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess what.. i got a inline fuel filter. Thats why im making such a big deal about this... im pretty sure its not getting dirty but it keeps overflowing out of the drain vent on the bottom of the carb only on the left leg side

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
probably got something to do with not stopping the fuel coming in when its at the maximum level in the carb it just keeps coming in

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found if I put gas in the tank of my wheeler, it would overflow my carburetor. I have to shut off the fuel cock. Anyway, thats not your problem.

The problem can be the things mentioned.

Stuck float needle - being debris or not closing because it is warn
Incorrect float height - Did you clean this carb recently?
Maybe its developed a crack in it somehow, and its taking in gas.
I have seen it on brass floats. Throw it in a little cup of gas and see if it floats, maybe squeeze the floats a little bit and listen, and shake them, you can hear the gasoline inside.
Set your float height too.

·
Master of the Electron
15,622 Posts
It's simple - 50% of the time you clean the carb, the o-ring under the float valve seat starts leaking, causing the bowl to overflow. If you have cleaned your carbs properly then this in the most likely cause of an overflow condition after the cleaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts