Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I have a problem with my oil not returning to the oil tank.
When I check my oil level when its hot and then sit for a few minutes, there is no oil in the tank.
Yes I do it the right way. Let the oil warm up for several minuts, then let it sit for 2-3mins, then check it.
It looks like the pump is using more oil then it can return to the tank.

things i've done so far:

I have for oil pressure to the valves
I have oil circulation back to the oil tank
Changed the oil pump, oil pump gear and its gaskets.
Changed the seal and ball valve in the crankcase
Checked all the oil lines if they were not clogged
Checked and cleaned the screen in the oil tank
Checked and cleaned the oil strainer in the engine

The problem remains.
Also there is a hose on top of the tank that leads nowhere. Is it a breathing hose? When I check pictures its connected to the cylinder head, but my engine has no nipple to connect it with.

TIA

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha Raptor 660R
20 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum. How much oil did you add originally? Are you sure there’s no oil in the tank? Have shined a light into to confirm? It should just be over 2 quarts or 2.2L.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've added about 2,4L while doing my last oil change
When I drain my oil the same amount comes out and still no oil is showing on the dipstick.
There is some oil in the tank but its under the stick.
I tried adding more oil, and it disapears into the motor after I start it for a few minutes to get it hot. Even when the motor is hot, the oil never shows on the stick.
I overfilled it ones while trying to get the oil level right.
Like I sead, it looks like the oil is going into the motor faster than it can return.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha Raptor 660R
20 Posts
I've added about 2,4L while doing my last oil change
When I drain my oil the same amount comes out and still no oil is showing on the dipstick.
There is some oil in the tank but its under the stick.
I tried adding more oil, and it disapears into the motor after I start it for a few minutes to get it hot. Even when the motor is hot, the oil never shows on the stick.
I overfilled it ones while trying to get the oil level right.
Like I s, it looks like the oil is going into the motor faster than it can return.
Seems to me it might be alright - have you checked the oil pressure at valve cover??
I don’t think it’s problem as long as oil is going to the tank. The reason is the oil pump has two rotors. The big rotor draws from the case, which lubricates the transmission and puts the oil back to the tank, the small rotor draws from the tank and feeds the oil through the filter to the crank, valvetrain and input shaft.
Pending a major problem with something else, it could be the seal behind transmission shaft that blocks off the end so that oil gets pushed back to the tank, or the tank supply hose is plugged....

could also be that you’re missing the o-rings or they failed on the stator case cover which also helps to push oil back to the tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have oil pressure at the valve cover.
Nothing seems to be plugged. I cleaned the screen and checked the hose 2 days ago.
I'll put some new O rings in the stator case. None were missing.
What seal do you mean with the seal behind the transmission shaft?
Do you mean the one in the clutch case next to the oil filter? I replaced this one already.

Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha Raptor 660R
20 Posts
I do have oil pressure at the valve cover.
Nothing seems to be plugged. I cleaned the screen and checked the hose 2 days ago.
I'll put some new O rings in the stator case. None were missing.
What seal do you mean with the seal behind the transmission shaft?
Do you mean the one in the clutch case next to the oil filter? I replaced this one already.

Thanks for the help so far!
theres a seal behind the main transmission shaft from what I’ve read. It’s helps to keep the oil in there and allows the gears to be lubed and forces the rest to the tank. I’ll see if I can find a picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts