Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased the bike about a year and a half ago,2001 660.When I purchased it from the P.O,he told me reverse didn't work,he wasn't sure why,but I could see the cable was only holding on by a strand or 2,it was frayed so bad.So I figured with a new cable,it should be fine.....nope...

Well a buddy just picked up a '02 660 to go riding with me,and its bugging the hell out of me to see him backing out of stuff...LOL...so I gotta fix this reverse.

Reverse lever,spring,etc is all there,but when moving the R lever by hand,I can tell its not moving anything inside...its like there is no resistance at all.The reverse light comes on when R lever is held over,but no reverse.

So then I read dog86's comment today in another thread,on being careful when splitting the cases,as the first time he did it,he broke the reverse arm where it connects to the shift drum......well that sounds like exactly my problem..!!...I can tell motor has been apart by some of the non yamaha green gaskets,so thinking maybe the P.O has maybe broken that arm.

Either way,its going to have to be tore down.My question is,how far apart am I going to have to tear it down,to check that arm..???.Do the cases have to be split.??.

Thanks guys..!!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Purchased the bike about a year and a half ago,2001 660.When I purchased it from the P.O,he told me reverse didn't work,he wasn't sure why,but I could see the cable was only holding on by a strand or 2,it was frayed so bad.So I figured with a new cable,it should be fine.....nope...

Well a buddy just picked up a '02 660 to go riding with me,and its bugging the hell out of me to see him backing out of stuff...LOL...so I gotta fix this reverse.

Reverse lever,spring,etc is all there,but when moving the R lever by hand,I can tell its not moving anything inside...its like there is no resistance at all.The reverse light comes on when R lever is held over,but no reverse.

So then I read dog86's comment today in another thread,on being careful when splitting the cases,as the first time he did it,he broke the reverse arm where it connects to the shift drum......well that sounds like exactly my problem..!!...I can tell motor has been apart by some of the non yamaha green gaskets,so thinking maybe the P.O has maybe broken that arm.

Either way,its going to have to be tore down.My question is,how far apart am I going to have to tear it down,to check that arm..???.Do the cases have to be split.??.

Thanks guys..!!
Okay, I think you do not understand how the reverse works on the raptor, this lever you are talking about must be pulled ahead, it unlocks the shift drum to allow you to shift the bike into reverse by using the tranmission shifter, the order of the gears from neutral going down is first gear, and then step on the shifter again and it shifts into reverse.............

So the order of the gears starting from reverse is R 1 N 2 3 4 5.............

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh,ok,so by the reverse light coming on when reverse lever is forward and shifting down from first ,the drum must be rotating...correct..??

So it must be a blown\missing\off tolerance reverse gear then..??...What else would cause no engagement of reverse..??

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ahhh,ok,so by the reverse light coming on when reverse lever is forward and shifting down from first ,the drum must be rotating...correct..??

So it must be a blown\missing\off tolerance reverse gear then..??...What else would cause no engagement of reverse..??
The drum must be working okay and the interlock, so you may have damage to the reverse gears.............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts