Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. My name is Adi and since 2008 I've been riding an '06 Raptor 350 I bought brand new.

2 weeks ago I got it back from service as I didn't have time to perform the regular maintenance myself(oil, oil filter, air filter, brake fluid, transmission fluid, chain tightening, brake pads, suspension check, battery change, etc)

I rode it hard 2-3 times after as I was really happy with the new behavior, but 2 days ago, disaster struck. While drifting in 3rd gear on a hairpin, it started releasing massive amounts of un-burnt gas on the exhaust(there were 3 booms one after another) and then it suddenly came to a stop, leaving me 35 miles away from home and unwilling to start again.

I happened to have a small tool-kit on me which allowed me to remove the spark plug and try to see if it sparks...it didn't...no spark at all.

Today, I went it to install a brand new NGK DR8EIX Iridium spark plug, but that wouldn't spark either. I tried it sticking it to the engine as mass, but it wouldn't spark. I also tried with an NGK DR8EA, thinking that the iridium one isn't compatible, but also no spark.

English is not my first language, it's my 4th so please bear with me as I don't really know the technical vocabulary at all.

I tried to see if the coil(The thing that sends current to the spark plug through a wire and a plastic cap that is attached to the spark plug). That may be the cause, but I think it's further down the wires.

There is an orange wire that connects to the coil and gives it current from the battery, but that doesn't give any electrical current, not even when I turn on the ignition and try to fire the thing. I dint' have a voltmeter, but I tried it with a 12v lightbulb and it wouldn't light.

I also checked all the fuses under the seat and all of them are working.

I don't know the path of the mysterious orange wire as it's packed in a harness so I can't check further than that.

I am at a loss of ideas and I would really appreciate some input as I am desperate to ride this week I have off.

P.S. When I try to start the quad, the electric motor is working and it is moving the cylinder up and down, but I get no current to the plug. Also, all lights and electrical things are working.

Thank You Very Much!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hello everybody. My name is Adi and since 2008 I've been riding an '06 Raptor 350 I bought brand new.

2 weeks ago I got it back from service as I didn't have time to perform the regular maintenance myself(oil, oil filter, air filter, brake fluid, transmission fluid, chain tightening, brake pads, suspension check, battery change, etc)

I rode it hard 2-3 times after as I was really happy with the new behavior, but 2 days ago, disaster struck. While drifting in 3rd gear on a hairpin, it started releasing massive amounts of un-burnt gas on the exhaust(there were 3 booms one after another) and then it suddenly came to a stop, leaving me 35 miles away from home and unwilling to start again.

I happened to have a small tool-kit on me which allowed me to remove the spark plug and try to see if it sparks...it didn't...no spark at all.

Today, I went it to install a brand new NGK DR8EIX Iridium spark plug, but that wouldn't spark either. I tried it sticking it to the engine as mass, but it wouldn't spark. I also tried with an NGK DR8EA, thinking that the iridium one isn't compatible, but also no spark.

English is not my first language, it's my 4th so please bear with me as I don't really know the technical vocabulary at all.

I tried to see if the coil(The thing that sends current to the spark plug through a wire and a plastic cap that is attached to the spark plug). That may be the cause, but I think it's further down the wires.

There is an orange wire that connects to the coil and gives it current from the battery, but that doesn't give any electrical current, not even when I turn on the ignition and try to fire the thing. I dint' have a voltmeter, but I tried it with a 12v lightbulb and it wouldn't light.

I also checked all the fuses under the seat and all of them are working.

I don't know the path of the mysterious orange wire as it's packed in a harness so I can't check further than that.

I am at a loss of ideas and I would really appreciate some input as I am desperate to ride this week I have off.

P.S. When I try to start the quad, the electric motor is working and it is moving the cylinder up and down, but I get no current to the plug. Also, all lights and electrical things are working.

Thank You Very Much!
The only way you can measure the AC voltage from the orange wire is with an Oscilliscope, you should have around 100 plus volts AC...........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well this is I ironic I too have a 06 350 with no spark. Never had any trouble with this at all. Rode for about 6 hours 2 weeks ago and put her up working fine. I washed it last week so possibly something there, but not with a power washer or anything like that. I wish I tried too start her up then.

I tried the plug against some metal and no dice tried a different plug as well. What are your guys thoughts on how I should proceed? Are these bikes known to burn out coils, I haven't heard of this happening to others. You mentioned a ocillascope to test the coil but sure there must be another method to make sure theirs power going in? I have a tester so I can check continuity and such, just electrical isn't my strong suite.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well this is I ironic I too have a 06 350 with no spark. Never had any trouble with this at all. Rode for about 6 hours 2 weeks ago and put her up working fine. I washed it last week so possibly something there, but not with a power washer or anything like that. I wish I tried too start her up then.

I tried the plug against some metal and no dice tried a different plug as well. What are your guys thoughts on how I should proceed? Are these bikes known to burn out coils, I haven't heard of this happening to others. You mentioned a ocillascope to test the coil but sure there must be another method to make sure theirs power going in? I have a tester so I can check continuity and such, just electrical isn't my strong suite.
The coil is fed by the orange wire that comes from the CDI, the voltage from the CDI is short impulses of 100+ AC volts. There is no way to measure this accurately without a oscilliscope.............

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yah ok that makes sence Will. I'm gonna start looking to make sure all the wires are grounded and connected properly and then use the multimeter on the plug boot and coil as per the manual see what that says.
It's funny if it is the CDI because the bike hasn't been ridden much before I got it so to just go bad for now reason. Well heres hoping the problem isn't that deep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welp, I took the grill off to check some wires and would'ya know. The frame actually broke where it holds the coil on the ground wire side. So the coil was sitting their with just one bolt holding it. So I tried moving the ground to a new spot and still no spark. So I ran the multimeter threw it and it gives a real low resistance reading then goes down to 0.

I'm guessing the coil bouncing around against the broken frame might of shorted it. So I ordered a cheap one off ebay to see if I get some spark back. It is the strangest thing to me the frame breaking their. Nothing ever has hit it, so may it's just mounted to rigid and that caused it to snap?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Welp, I took the grill off to check some wires and would'ya know. The frame actually broke where it holds the coil on the ground wire side. So the coil was sitting their with just one bolt holding it. So I tried moving the ground to a new spot and still no spark. So I ran the multimeter threw it and it gives a real low resistance reading then goes down to 0.

I'm guessing the coil bouncing around against the broken frame might of shorted it. So I ordered a cheap one off ebay to see if I get some spark back. It is the strangest thing to me the frame breaking their. Nothing ever has hit it, so may it's just mounted to rigid and that caused it to snap?
From experience I have seen where if the coil is producing energy to cause a spark and the coil wire is disconnected, it can then back feed and cause damage in another area. Whether the same applies to the orange wire not having a place to unload its charge, I'm not sure. I've never seen it.
In your case of the ground being broken, it's possible that maybe the coils energy had no place to go and caused CDi problems or that the coil was damaged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Holy shit I'm stumped again. Replaced coil, cleaned out the switch assembly, unplugged the reg/rec like you guys said in another thread. Still nada, although here is something strange I noticed while turning the key to on with the switch on run. I get a little spark between the spark plug and the frame (I noticed this when it was dark in the garage), It's a small spark and it goes through the gap too like it some residule energy? It's nothing close to the big blue spark I'm supposed to have but I thought it was interesting. So now I don't know where to look next. I don't really have money to replace the CDI or get the stator rewound.
It's so strange because it ran fine last time I rode it around the neiborhood like 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy shit I'm stumped again. Replaced coil, cleaned out the switch assembly, unplugged the reg/rec like you guys said in another thread. Still nada, although here is something strange I noticed while turning the key to on with the switch on run. I get a little spark between the spark plug and the frame (I noticed this when it was dark in the garage), It's a small spark and it goes through the gap too like it some residule energy? It's nothing close to the big blue spark I'm supposed to have but I thought it was interesting. So now I don't know where to look next. I don't really have money to replace the CDI or get the stator rewound.
It's so strange because it ran fine last time I rode it around the neiborhood like 2 weeks ago.

Hi did you ever figure out your issue because my 2007 raptor 350 has no spark and the ground was broken on the coil just like yours I've looked into it a bit and I'm also not getting any voltage from the orange wire just wanted to know if you had any information that could help about my situation compared to yours. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Hi did you ever figure out your issue because my 2007 raptor 350 has no spark and the ground was broken on the coil just like yours I've looked into it a bit and I'm also not getting any voltage from the orange wire just wanted to know if you had any information that could help about my situation compared to yours. Thanks
Not sure if anything I have in here will help you, worth a read anyway.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/73-raptor-350-discussion/356193-raptor-350-dead-water.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same problem I am guessing it is the cdi box because it is making a slight humming but I am not certain. I was using my 07 raptor 350 yesterday I parked it for the day than I went out to try to rude it today and it would not start at all checked spark nothing the orange wire had no current so I am guessing it is losing power at the cdi box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts