Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, mine is a 2003, +2 fireball racing a arms, fmf muffler, pro flo k&n airfilter setup, no mods to motor. lots of hours on it. this past weekend i was riding and when i shut it off it would not start back up. i would hit the start button and the oil light would come on and that is it. no noise. lights work. i had someone pull start it and it would run fine. interchanged a bunch of parts with another raptor but still nothing.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
1) it's the temperature light that comes on when you press the start button... there is no oil light.

2) No click coming from the starter relay when you push the button? Do you have and know how to use a voltmeter? A couple of measurements and we can zero in on your problem

3) short across the starter relay's two large lugs with a screwdriver (ignore the sparks). Does the starter now turn over quickly? If not:

4) check the connections at the battery - remove, clean all contact surfaces with a wire brush, then reconnect TIGHT! Any change?

5) make sure bike is in neutral when testing - is neutral light on? If not, pull in the clutch... will it start now?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes your right, the temp light, no click from starter relay.
i do not have a voltmeter, i will try the short across the relay.
i did clean the connections and cables to the battery and the battery itself.
i did make sure it is nuetral and even tried starting it with the clutch lever pulled in.
i will report back if the shorting works.
thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the starter does turn over quickly when i do the short across the relay

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Okay, does the reverse light work correctly (key on, run/stop on, bike in reverse)? Please check now. And, yes... did it start up and at least try to run when you turned it over by shorting (with key on, run/stop on)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reverse light works correctly and it did start and run.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Okay, we're now down to making a couple of measurements to see what's up...

See if you can borrow a voltmeter (or a friend with one) cuz it's going to be necessary.

You need to measure (with black meter lead on negative batt terminal) the yellow/black wire that goes into the connector on top of the starter relay - with key on, run/stop on, bike in neutral. Do you see 12V (you should)? now press start button. Do you still see 12V (you should)?

Now switch to the blue/black wire at the same connector (on top of starter relay), black lead still on batt negative. Key on, run/stop on, bike in neutral. Do you see 12V (you should)? Press start button - still 12V (shouldn't) or 0V (should)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i get a voltmeter i will let you know what happens. thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, got a volt meter and it says 12v for both first parts. then it said .14 when i would push the start button when tried with both wires.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
ok, got a volt meter and it says 12v for both first parts. then it said .14 when i would push the start button when tried with both wires.
0.14 V is close enough to 0 V to consider it so.

Sounds like you have the famous 'Blown CDI transisitor in the start relay circuit' problem.

You have two choices - you can replace the CDI, OR

You can do a simple wiring modification that will let you keep going with the current CDI... the caveat is that you will ALWAYS have to pull the clutch lever in, in order to start the bike (Suzuki's do this anyway)...

First we should verify that the modification will work... Take a short piece of wire and jumper it from battery positive to the yellow/black wire where it goes into the start relay. Does the starter work from button now? It should... but this is dangerous - with it jumped this way, the starter will always turn from the button, regardless of neutral, clutch or even key switch position...

So, if this worked and you want to do the mod, let me know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so i jumpered the yellow black wire and it would start like you said. if i did the mod will it mess up anything else? would i be safe to drive it around and just jump it when i need to?

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Yes, you can continue to just jump it as you did with no issues... but the mod, once done, will allow you to operate normally, with the only change being you have to pull the clutch to start... nothing else is affected or hurt.

Interested? Here's a link to the fix. Several others have done it and are very satisfied with the results.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=779197&postcount=30

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the help! I am going to check out the mod.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Start your own thread, I'll respond.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts