Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<cross posted>
01 660.
I'll get right to it, bought a 01 660 for I hope the right price. Bought as no start. Wants to crank, it labors / cranks slow and backfires. New battery and cable repaired (third one with bad positive cable). Fluids ok and 12 volt power seems ok. After reading a million posts here and elsewere I am leaning towards decompression problem? Before I start tearing things apart I wanted some input from people that have experienced this problem.
I am an auto guy, ASE master and all that. Not afraid of repairing, just want direction. Thanks!
Update: flat tow around block, no fire. Can crank with just starter, but if I open throttle starter struggles/stops. 2+2 when cranking no help. has spark. Prior owner replaced carb, kinda sketchy job. Sounds like strong compression, my gauge is at work. Intermittent backfire on start attempt. Repair history on this quad unknown.
HELP

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Try starting with fuel petcock off using starting fluid - successful at least trying to run? Carb issues! I suspect you are extremely rich.

It could be a decomp issue - but pull starting would get around that... yet it didn't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to check valve clearance today, if good then tearing it down to check decompression pin and system.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Run a compression test... if it's much over 100psi the decomp is not working properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its gotta be the decompression. Adjusted valves, fresh battery, way too much draw when trying to crank. I rebuild Volvo motors all day long so this should not be too much of an issue. Just wish I had a manual...........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better yet, if your off 3 teeth on the timing chain....... Love buying these things from idiots. Should be burning gas this afternoon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Maniac!
I set the timing chain to where I believe it is right, now it cranks normal but no fire. Gonna read through the manual, bring home a real spark tester and compression gauge and diag it tonight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ugg, what a mess. Prior owner tried to put piston in, now I have head off fixing things. There was no decomp spring or pin in cam.leakdown is excessive on piston with ATF poured in jug, so he prob screwed the rings also. Minor damage to cam journals on head from trying to start with oil starvation due to missing pin. Waiting on parts again. At least the bike runs

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Aaaarrrgh... I love having to fix other people's failures. Good luck.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Good luck - let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so after leaving this thing in the garage for a long time we got back to it. The market on quads and bikes went nuts in my area so we flipped quite a few. Low compression, all marks right checked 5 times. Leakdown was really bad, dry but a bit higher wet. Pulled it down to the piston, some groving on cylinder wall but nothing to cause this prob. Thinking complete kit with jug, looking for ideas - input.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Are the valves perhaps bent a bit from timing being off by three teeth?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I checked the valves the last time the head was off by filling the cavity with gasoline, no leaks or drips noted. When I had the leakdown tester on it with the cam out of the head it seemed like everything was going into the crankcase. I was going to bring home the smoke tester from work but figured I would see something on teardown.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So we grabbed a running motor with bad gears, tore it down and confirmed we had the timing right on the original motor. Measured piston and bore on donor motor and its stock bore. Gonna swap donor stuff into quad tomorrow night, all goes good we will be burning gas. Then its detective work on the old stuff.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the death sign is officially on this quad. Bolted the new jug on it and went to set it up for head install. Line up the timing marks (the I not the H) and the piston is not even close to TDC. Compare to old motor and sure enough we have a big difference. Looks like a sheared key on the crank. So this one is parted out or sold as is. Shame because its got all the goodies that I wanted. Son is calling our friend that is the part out man to see what we can get.
2020 has really been difficult.....................

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
That's an awful easy fix... why part it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts