Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states it, I am looking for some good sand tires, but don't want to run paddles. I ride in areas that have really soft sand, but there are also some trails that area hard packed and have rocks. I think if I run paddles, I'll just tear them up. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
alvaro3jr said:
As the title states it, I am looking for some good sand tires, but don't want to run paddles. I ride in areas that have really soft sand, but there are also some trails that area hard packed and have rocks. I think if I run paddles, I'll just tear them up. Any suggestions?
IVE SEEN ALOT OF PEOPLE USEING MUDLITES. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW WELL THEY WORK.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
oli700 said:
Skat trak Desert Storm
Maybe if you got the kevlar, even then I'd be concerned about the rocks. More of a dirt/hard sand drag tire than anything else.

Relators were pretty good tires in the sand, not sure if they're still in production, spider tracs too. Mudlites would work alright, just keep the tire size small (20-22").

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ride in baja at least a few times a year. Down there, I even go on the street at times. I think i'll stick with a good knobby tire. Any recommendations at to which ones work will in sand. I am leary about the mud lites. I know on trucks, an all terrain tire will work better in the sand than a mud terrain. I think they just float better.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Maddog - i have been looking at the Pure Sport Realtors.... bcs i live in central MO and only go to the dunes maybe 3 or 4 times a year..... i have the Holeshot HD's on my bike for trail riding.... i am wanting a tire that i can have for snow, but will also do GOOD in the sand for the few times i go....

So do you think that the Realtors do GOOD in the sand? i know they would do great in snow....

Thanks Plattner

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
They do well in the sand, the tq allows you to really throw the sand even though they're a bit heavy.

Edited for ease of reading, small brainfart on my end when typing.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Perfect man.... Thank you... i will be ordering them with-in the next couple weeks.... we dont get a whole lot of snow here in Missouri... but i wanted a tire for the snow, the little bit we get.... but didnt want to have to buy sand tires also...

Thanks again - Plattner

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anybody out there know what knobby tires are on the market that are as flexible as the stockers. I kind of figure that the more plys a tires has, the stiffer it's going to be. The stockers get nice and flexible when I take them down to 3psi. They work pretty well in the sand that way. I need to replace them, but would like something a little more durable so long as they work as well as the stockers in the sand.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You have a few choices.
If you want a knobby thats good in the sand go with the Kenda Klaw and run it in the direction for soft terrain. Realtors are another option but only come in 22"+ size. The AMS Zipper is another tire to look at. And finally Sand Tires Unlimited has the Mini Desert Trak which is a desert tire and is 14 inches wide.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The zipper is a copy of the 4 snow which is a copy of the pro-wedge, none of which will hold up long on rough terrain.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Maddog56 said:
The zipper is a copy of the 4 snow which is a copy of the pro-wedge, none of which will hold up long on rough terrain.
Do you think the Zipper style truly works well in the snow?? Been thinking about them.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
oli700 said:
Maddog56 said:
Do you think the Zipper style truly works well in the snow?? Been thinking about them.
If your snow is light and fluffy or you're running on ice, that style works fairly well. But if you're in heavy/wet snow you'll end up spinning a lot. A good indication is the fact that Maxxis' version is called the "4-snow". :thumbsup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
alvaro3jr said:
Does anybody out there know what knobby tires are on the market that are as flexible as the stockers. I kind of figure that the more plys a tires has, the stiffer it's going to be. The stockers get nice and flexible when I take them down to 3psi. They work pretty well in the sand that way. I need to replace them, but would like something a little more durable so long as they work as well as the stockers in the sand.
It sounds like you are looking for the Kenda Klaw. This is the tire for you. Run it in the 'soft' direction.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/raptor2001/kenda/

·
Registered
337 Posts
Notice the paddle like shape of the knobbies in the reverse direction. s'pose to be the best racing/knobby tire for sand. and can be ran the other direction for hard pack. and cheap

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think you'll find that these are a bit beefier than stock, and also 1" wider at 12". I'm looking at the same assortment of tires but ride in mostly sand and wet sand and sand under moving river... I'm liking the 14" wide Desert Trak... 14"s :mad:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts