Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm tired of getting out ran by my friends on my farm 4 wheeler and finally decided to step up to something a little more sporty lol. All of my friends have 660's except one has a 700. From what they tell me is the 660 has a smoother ride and can jump and ride wheelies better. But the 700 has the power of course and has the edge in handling, and also the fuel injection. I would like to get everybody's input on this. I'm 6'1 240, novice rider. I just mainly want something to tool around on riding up and down the creeks and through pastures, maybe the occasional trip to the sand dunes. From what looking I've done is that most 660 are in the $2500 range giver or take and the 700 are in the $3500 range give or take. What do you guys recommend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to ask what are some things that they changed from year to year. Are some years better than others?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
The 700 is better other wise they wouldn't have changed the 660. For the 700 one with rezzy shocks will handle the best. Since your on the bigger side the 700 will be able to keep up better than a 660. I was looking for a big boy quad and I sat on the 660 and the 700 and the 700 just felt alot better. But its all in how much you want to spend but it's worth the extra money. Your gonna got a lot of different answers on this since guys still love there 660 and guys love the new 700. The 660s have tranny and electric issues depending on the year and the 700 has regular spring (pogo) shocks and reservoir shocks (rezzy) and the newer ones have the speedo and computer built in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
700!!! You won't need to rejet when you go to different riding areas, this makes it really nice. Definetely look at one with rezzie shocks, SE model I believe-or by some rezzie shocks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was worried about the 700 maybe being too much bike for me as i will never be racing, i would just like something to tool around on. Are rezzie shocks aftermarket or is that something that came on them after a specific year. What is a SE model, R model? Again I am new to all this...

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
You will have no problem just putting around on the 700 and then you can go full power when you need to. The 700 isn't just a race bike, it's the best all around sport quad. It rides like a caddy nice and smooth and gives you that v8 type of low end power. I do more of trail riding with mine with occasional racing my friends and hill climbs. Mine will just take off with just letting out the clutch so if you want to put around just let it idle. The one thing I messed up on with that was I was doing wheelies and I jumped off with out my teather and the bike kept on going but luckly I was able to chase it down. The razzy shocks are standard on the newer models and the 07 se model but you can find them around here for less than $200.

·
Registered
866 Posts
For what you are doing the 660 should be perfect, albeit you can't deny the 700 is newer, EFI etc.. But the price difference is big and the 660 is a great bike, and you should only have to rejet when you get a new pipe, unless you plan on traveling with it. And remember you can put the Yfz rezzies on it with minimal modification.

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
just a polaris 400 4x4 that we use on our farm
well like others have said .i would go with the 700 .will be a very fun ,reliable and you won't grow tired of it .alot you can do to it.plus you can drive fast or slow with no prob at all.:D so good luck !let us know what you get .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's kind of what I've been thinking. Am I really going to have a $1000 more fun on a 700 than a 660, prolly not. What are some things that I need to look at when I go to look at some? Are there some years to stay away from? How many hours are too many? What are your guy's thoughts on ones that have been modded such as bored out and are piped and jetted? Thanks for all the input

·
Registered
866 Posts
That's kind of what I've been thinking. Am I really going to have a $1000 more fun on a 700 than a 660, prolly not. What are some things that I need to look at when I go to look at some? Are there some years to stay away from? How many hours are too many? What are your guy's thoughts on ones that have been modded such as bored out and are piped and jetted? Thanks for all the input
When you go to look at one, look at things like plastic, frame welds, any rust, air filter, bearings, spark plugs etc.. Right away you will be able to tell if the owner has taken care of it well. As for mods, an aftermarket pipe is great and jetting of course. As for engine work it depends on who did it and the parts that they used, and make sure they have a title. Oh and stay away from the 2001 660, some of them have faulty transmissions. All the other years are pretty much identical except for plastics.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
For what you are doing the 660 should be perfect, albeit you can't deny the 700 is newer, EFI etc.. But the price difference is big and the 660 is a great bike, and you should only have to rejet when you get a new pipe, unless you plan on traveling with it. And remember you can put the Yfz rezzies on it with minimal modification.
Yeah but you have to rejet 2 carbs, and cutting a hole in the a arms and grinding the shock mounts isn't what i call minimal vs direct bolt on to the 700 and the efi adjusts it self so that right there is worth the extra money. The 700 is over built cause of the 660 issues and there so many more parts made for the 700 vs the 660. The 660 is a good bike but there's a reason they quit making it and that reason is the 700:D

·
Registered
538 Posts
raptor 700 :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do the 700's have some sort of an hour meter on them? If so how many hours are too many??

·
Registered
749 Posts
i believe it's the 2008 and newer 700's have the speedometer/hour meter.

i'd ask how much are you really going to be riding?? messing around casually on a farm, occasionally riding with friends, you might as well spend less money and get a 660. of course others will tell you to get a 700, because it's better in every way, but if you're just a casual rider then the 660 will be fine.

some of us....myself included...are on the quads every weekend and trailering them to all sorts of different spots. of course if you're a die-hard rider then you'll spend the money and get the newest thing out. if you aren't THAT into riding, then spend less money and get something that you'll be happy with, but doesn't need to be the newest thing out to just mess around on in creeks and pastures like you said you want to do

·
Registered
621 Posts
You will also get your money back easier with a 660 if you decide to sell it. My 700 felt completly different to my 660 smoother quicker more stable and much much better looking 8)

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I would go newer technology so 700R or 700R se. I bet your friends let you try their 660 and 700 well i hope because that will give you a good idea. I love the FI feature and speedo on mine not that im really looking at it when im in trails LOL. The 660 is the wheelir king compared to the 700 but dont get me wrong the 700 can wheelie real easily also. So if you go 660 or 700your going to have alot of fun on either of them. You can putt the 700 around just like a 4X4 thats what i like about mine when the trails get really rough. You dont have to keep it in the top revs to get the power you need like most 450's out there...Reliability is bar none also and thats why Yamaha dosent seem to update them over the years...Keep us updated if you get one and you have to post pics so we can say how good it looks LOL.

Take care hoping to see you in here to become a permanent member...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. I've made an offer an an 06 700 that was just a few hundred dollars more than I was originally wanting to spend, the person is suppose to get back with me this afternoon, so I will keep you posted!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts