Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I never rode an ATV or a manual for that matter but am looking to start, I was looking at the raptor 700
the dealer has some special offers on the 2009
does the 2011 have any added features on it?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I dont think so uhmmm added features nope. Read up alot on here lots of great people and lots of info too. 2009 is as good as the 2011. You might save some money on the 2009. Now if you ask 2009 and 2009 se their is a difference. Colour scheme and wave style brake rotor at the back! I think thats it!

Just between you and me if you do end up buying a raptor your probably going to grin from ear to ear when you first try it and then some. And manual on these are easy to learn if you drive a manual car or ever drove one your good to go. Just dont let go of the clutch and rev like crazy LOL. Just let it out slowly!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think so uhmmm added features nope. Read up alot on here lots of great people and lots of info too. 2009 is as good as the 2011. You might save some money on the 2009. Now if you ask 2009 and 2009 se their is a difference. Colour scheme and wave style brake rotor at the back! I think thats it!

Just between you and me if you do end up buying a raptor your probably going to grin from ear to ear when you first try it and then some. And manual on these are easy to learn if you drive a manual car or ever drove one your good to go. Just dont let go of the clutch and rev like crazy LOL. Just let it out slowly!
This is what I wanted to hear, usually people assume I am a kid for not using a manual so they say I should get a 250 cc or something, thats too small

I never drove a manual but power wise I had a corvette and its a beast
the thing that worries me is flipping side ways but I will try to get used to a quad before really trying to go fast, is there any danger of me wrecking the gear box or clutch? the main yamaha dealer here sells it with no warranty what se ever

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
ya i would go for the 09 less money. then you can get some protective gear and later some add on goodies .the raptor is a power and torq monster! i think you will be fine just practice in an open area . then you progress at your own speed .the raptor has a screw on the thumb throttle so you can adjust it so it won't go wide open on ya while you are learning .then you can open it up as you get more comfortable with it ! as far as the gear box and stuff goes it's like any thing you can break it .but they are pretty stong . just take your time, you will get the hang of it . just like i said get some good gear ! well good luck throw up some pic's of what you get. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just bought a 2009 SE the this past week and its my first ATV. Not the first ive rode but the first ive owned. Im very happy with the purchase. I got it for 7400 out the door, damn sales tax an stupid CA fees! No idea if its a good price or not but I dont really mind if it isnt because she makes me happy haha. Any way just giving you a price point. Thats a 2009 700r SE (special edition) just in case you didint know. Also welcome to the forums.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
This is what I wanted to hear, usually people assume I am a kid for not using a manual so they say I should get a 250 cc or something, thats too small

I never drove a manual but power wise I had a corvette and its a beast
the thing that worries me is flipping side ways but I will try to get used to a quad before really trying to go fast, is there any danger of me wrecking the gear box or clutch? the main yamaha dealer here sells it with no warranty what se ever
No warranty! F him go shop somewhere else and be sure to let him know: No warranty no sell! If its new why dosent he warranty it, stay away from this dealer! Bought my 2009se in september 2010 and it came with the warranty.

The gear box is solid bro dont worry! I had never ridden a clutch on a quad. Same as a car kind of feal except the raptor will feal faster than that corvette LOL. Well the raptor is a whole different beast! Pull in the clutch down shift into first and then let go real slowly to get the feal of it dont even touch the gas. My raptor lifts me up on first, second and even 3rd gear and im not small 230 pounds when i stab the throttle. It pulls like crazy in straits and that straight axel in the back makes for some nice drifts dont try it on asphalt...go sideways then go splat LOL. I hope you buy it. You cant go wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
It wasent the first quad i had ridden either but was the first one with a clutch. My clutch is still 100% strong and ive ridden it all fall and winter time. Going 60mph in minus 20 degree celcius weather is freakin cold but the drifting makes for some killer rides way too much fun it should be illegal LOL... Ask questions go with what you feal like but i tell you after reading alot on the sports quads i took the best. Honda also makes a 700 but no strait axle in the back. Try and drift that sucker without rolling sideways then go splat, i think they are insane but i guess some like to die i dunno! Who makes the biggest lineup of sport atv's? Yamaha does and thats why i think they know they got something good here! Im still slapping myself in the back for buying it. Go to another dealer stop rolling around in your bed at night and go buy one! Then its going to be the waiting game and antsy to get the first ride on LOL... You need to talk and ask some questions im here just pm me ill be more than happy to give you more info. Thats the way everyone rolls in here. Just writting all this makes me want to go for a ride again and again. Go now before you miss out LOL...

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I know your getting one i can smell it from here so.....Welcome to the family LOL...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am from the UAE (Dubai) we have one main yamaha distributer, apperantly yamaha it self doesn't bother with warranties here so we have to pay for repairs, I will look around more but if the main dealer here doesn't offer warranties I doubt anyone else will

The price was about 29000 AED which is around 7350 CAD

I will look at the honda 700 and see if they offer any warranty though I doubt its more than a few months

The main reason I went for the 700 and not the 450 is the fact that I need more power to climb sand dunes and yamaha is way more popular here in the UAE

is there any must get accessories, flags or protection gear and where from?

·
Registered
29 Posts
A helmet is adviseable. All yamaha atvs come with a 6 month factory warranty from date of purchase I thought an then usually thru the dealer you can extend the warranty anywhere inside that 6 months for 1, 2, 3 or even more years. At least thats what I was told but thats here in the states.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Same here in Canada. Get the raptor you will be much happier...And the raptor is known to be the KING of the dunes. Forget that stupid Honda...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far the yamaha is on the top of my list but still the warranty worries me
I will try to clarify this with the dealer and decide is yamaha with no warranty or honda with one

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Yamaha without a doubt but thats you! If its new, brand spanking new id still buy it over the warrantied honda.

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
The Raptor is pretty rock solid so I would not worry to much. It still sucks no warrantie but you should be fine. I would get a good helmet at the VERY LEAST. I know its hot as hell over there but its better to sweat alittle with a helmet instead breaking your head open. I would go with the higher end helmets they tend to fit/protect better and have more vent to keep you cooler. I like TLD (Troy Lee Desings)helmet myself but I know Klim make a model just for hot riding. http://www.klimusa.com/product/F4-Helmet,296,93.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Raptor is pretty rock solid so I would not worry to much. It still sucks no warrantie but you should be fine. I would get a good helmet at the VERY LEAST. I know its hot as hell over there but its better to sweat alittle with a helmet instead breaking your head open. I would go with the higher end helmets they tend to fit/protect better and have more vent to keep you cooler. I like TLD (Troy Lee Desings)helmet myself but I know Klim make a model just for hot riding. http://www.klimusa.com/product/F4-Helmet,296,93.htm
you mean sweat a lot, it gets up to 50C, I will get a helmet and the glasses thing but I rather them be the shady type

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
These are the THOR MX HERO Goggles. They come with the shaded lenz and the clear lenz. I love them and fit me like a glove!

·
Registered
84 Posts
+1 THOR MX HERO Goggles

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Got them free and a helmet when i bought my rappy. I hate my dealer anyway and dident give him such a good revue anyway they where 79.99 before the taxes. They are great...Will buy some extra visors when the time comes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My advice is to get one you're not afraid to ride (from the monitary stand point). If you get one that you're not worried about beating up a bit it will be a lot more fun to ride. if I spent top dollar on mine I would probably be way too careful with it, and let's face it, it's an off-road vehicle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts