Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wow i fuked up big time. i was putting my new pilot jets in and one was in there pretty tight when i was taking it out so when i put the new one in i figured it was supposed to be tight or something and i sheared it in half. i think i have a problem in my head about tighting things, i always do it too tight, i sheared a different bolt in half earlier on something else :unsure:

but anyways, how do i go about fixing this problem? im scared because i know its all really delicate and this isnt something where i can drill it out and tap bigger threads. im thinking possibly a screw extractor but have never used one.......

btw anyone selling used 39mm FCR's?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Get some easy outs. This should be real easy to do seeing at it looks like it's made of a some light metal. Drill a small hole down the center (Make sure it is centered!) of the pilot jet and the put your easy outs in there and tap on it lightly with a hammer while turning it out to the left. Should work I've had to do this several times.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Before you drill it try a torx driver (some call them star bit's). Take the top half and see if you can get one that won't fit but almost does and tap it in the stuck portion. You may also grind the end of the torx tip first to sharpen it so it'll cut in easier.
A small screwdriver may also work since the top half is missing and the shoulder is what the jet is tightening agienst it may just screw right out.

Before you drill it out I'd look at the other carb and see what's on the other side of that jet, how much space before you run into the carb body.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Grab a drill bit with reversed threads from your local harware store. They are called screw extractors. It will grab the screw and turn it counter-clockwise (loosening) while digging into the sheared screw.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
DECEPTiON21 said:
Grab a drill bit with reversed threads from your local harware store. They are called screw extractors. It will grab the screw and turn it counter-clockwise (loosening) while digging into the sheared screw.
this would also be my suggestion. if that doesn't work, used carbs are cheap on fleebay.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got the smallest screw extractor they had at the hardware store, im trying but it doesnt seem like its gunna work. and i think its way to small for the torx bit idea. i was talking to my friend who is a boat mechanic and he said he has stripped the top end off a jet before for a dirtbike. just the slot for the screw driver though, and he said if you got the right jet in there it should run fine, just wont be able to switch it out. he said the hole is still the same size and thats what matters

i showed him mine and he hasnt seen one broke that far down before and is uncertain if it will still run normal. im pretty sure 27.5 pilots are right for my setup and i shouldnt have to change them anytime soon. so....is it possible that it will still operate fine with half a pilot jet?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i just put the carbs on with the broken pilot jet, no good. needed alot of gas to keep it at idle. ran it through a couple gears and it was just falling on its face soon as i hit the gas. felt slower than it did when it was stock. then i started messing with mixture screws and thats when i noticed it was blowing smoke like a mofo, looked like the tail pipe on my diesel truck

so i have a plan that i think might work. gunna drill a bigger whole through the center of the pilot jet so i can get the screw extractor down a little bit. the screw extractor is not penetrating the hole at all right now, too small

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My fuel screw was covered with this metal piece, they drilled right into it to get it out, very gently. I was freaked but it worked and things were ok.

·
Registered
751 Posts
i agree with the screw extractors.. they work great and can take anything out. Go to any local auto parts store and they should have them.. My snap on kit was a little over 100 i think but well worth it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
drill a pilot hole for the screw extractor, like you would drilling anything else. not too big though, or it wont do any grabbing.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:wootwoot: got it out!

drilled a bigger hole and the screw extractor grabbed and twisted it out real easy

but now i need another 27.5 pilot jet, if i order it today it probably wont be here till monday. so no riding this weekend :(

·
Registered
373 Posts
John said:
:wootwoot: got it out!

drilled a bigger hole and the screw extractor grabbed and twisted it out real easy

but now i need another 27.5 pilot jet, if i order it today it probably wont be here till monday. so no riding this weekend :(
i hate that, u try to fix your bike before the weekend and time runs out o well
there's always next week :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.