Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to put together a mild trail build this winter that won’t kill my budget. I finally got my Houser XC A arms dialed, Jogaca shocks valved and sprung all around, and the XC master issues worked out. Now going to get into the engine. I’ve never done any internal engine work, but I can’t imagine it being too hard eh?

Where I ride it’s mostly tight trails with a lot of rock. There’s a few spots I hit in Mendocino that are pretty smooth, but for the most part I don’t get to open it up much. Funny enough my only buddy with a quad rides a LoneStar Banshee on all the same trails. To have big HP like him would be great, but this quad will never see a dune or a drag strip, so my primary goal is to keep it snappy down low on the trails and lift those front tires with ease. Need to stay on pump gas.

THE PLAN ———————-

Been looking at HotCams for a while since I won’t have to upgrade springs, but not sure if I should go stage 2 or 3. Everyone says 3, but it seems like everyone also rips the wide open desert or dunes all the time.

I’ve heard dl700 suggest the 11:1 cp many times, but I’m thinking the 11.5:1 might give me a lil more momentum down low with the extra weight.

Possibly a larger throttle body, maybe a +3. Cuervo had them posted for 175 with a 75 core charge on top.

Do I need a new filter with the TB? I am running a Uni 2 stage on a billet adapter that came from previous owner.

That should do it, I considered going larger stroke but it wasn’t worth it to me for the extra money.
SO -

HC3/2 - $180
11:1 or 11.5:1 ~$200
+3 TB - $200 w/shipping for core (on the fence)
OEM head gasket - $40
tool for installing rings - ???

Hopefully I can get some tunes for the build somewhere, no dyno close me.
I am concerned about detonation or other factors, we have no ethanol free gas available in Cali, always about 20% ethanol and highest grade is 91 at the chevron near me. I am close to Sears point Raceway too, but gas is like 13 a gallon over there for the good stuff.

Opinions needed on all this please. Also, who to buy from, and new or used?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should note that my bike only has about 45 hours on her, so I’m hoping to keep the timing chain and tensioner I already have.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Any way you can swing some porting in there? If you read what I have in my sig it does awesome on trails like you are riding on. I don't get to open dunes but once a year and it screams.

What is your budget? We can go from there but it sounds like a good plan so far. The FCI air filter is good for all mods going forward, but those UNI's are good if it's a big billet adapter.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t want to spend more than 600 or so, but definitely not more than a grand. Preferably around 600.
Also, I don’t want to cut any corners. I just want a solid, reliable build with quality parts.
How pertinent is porting and how much extra would it be? If it’s going to make a drastic difference I suppose I could throw it in.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a 12-1 piston, intake +3TB, HC 2, Dasa exhaust on my 2017. It pulls great off the bottom through 7,500 rpm, I XC race trails both tight and open. With the stock 10-1 piston and HC 2 it gave up a little power on the bottom end, not enough to matter, but noticeable. The 12-1 piston brought back that off idle power back. I can lug 3rd gear down very low and roll the throttle on in the tight sections. In the future I am going to try a HC 3. Hot Cams are mild and easy on the valve train, but add hp.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.
418stroker - do you think you have more or less bottom end with the hc2 and 12:1? Are you at elevation running pump gas or mixing high octane?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don’t want to spend more than 600 or so, but definitely not more than a grand. Preferably around 600.
Also, I don’t want to cut any corners. I just want a solid, reliable build with quality parts.
How pertinent is porting and how much extra would it be? If it’s going to make a drastic difference I suppose I could throw it in.
Keep us posted on your decision and results. Been kicking around the same type of upgrade. Almost pulled the trigger on a package from CT Racing over the summer but crashed my bike and spent the money fixing it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, that’s the way it goes sometimes I suppose. I was just browsing CTs site actually. 1.5k for the large port package, yikes. Been browsing the forums looking for good reccs, and read a bit about Bo White. Was active on the Camaro forums last year, I might try to give him a call tomorrow and see what he can do if he’s still taking side work. Quoted 750 plus springs back in 2010 for the “megladon” build w/ 5050 cam. +2 intake and +1 exhaust. Then I could get an 11.5:1 and still be around a grand.
Funny how the budget just seems to keep growing.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
327 Posts
With my 12-1 CP piston and HC 2 it pulls just as good off bottom as stock piston with stock cam. I ride 300'-900', in the southeast. For some reason we can get away with a little more compression than in other parts of the nation at the same elevation. I run 93 octane, I do have a little extra timing added too. 100LL aviation fuel cost $3.90 a gallon in my area and it is ethanol free, that is a cheap quality fuel to use and safe to use for up to a 12.5-1 set up. Many factors can contribute to detonation, like a small cam, extra timing, hot engine, heavier rider, riding conditions, elevation and how you ride.... One factor on my side is I weigh 130 lbs without gear. Check with others in your area to see what compression works for the fuel you will use. If you decide to run straight 110 race fuel go with a 14-1 piston.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great thanks for your input 418. Even though I live at 100 feet elevation, I ride at a minimum is 1800 feet, so hoping to get away with the 11.5 tech. I hear the larger 5050 cam helps bleed off the some compression too. Really wanting to stay on 91. There are a few airports within 20 minutes of me though that I’ll have to check out incase I have trouble.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Managed to get ahold of Bo White today. He seemed surprised when I asked him about doing a port job on a 700... and seeing how he hasn’t been on these forums in 10 years I guess I could understand that. He did agree to it though pretty easily. I’m going to get his ”megladon” build with a 5050 cam and 11.5:1 piston. He quoted me 750 for the build and an extra 100 to install the 5050 cam and springs but I have to send him everything.
Im pretty sure Im going to go for it. I just have to get ahold of some springs and that cam and then I can ship out. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can buy hd springs and the 5050 cam??

·
Registered
327 Posts
Curveo racing has what you need, that is a good cam. It needs bigger valves/ported head to take full advantage of the lift the cam has. You will need to modify the rocker arms for that cam.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Have you talked to Cuervo about doing the porting as well? I would price shop since you need to contact Daniel to get the cam. Nothing against Bo and what he has done but Cuervo Racing ports those for a living. Ragged Edge in Arizona is another or Henry Porting Service on the East coast. Perhaps talk to each builder to find what works best for you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks I will do that. Called Cuervo but he’s been out sick for the last week so I wasn’t able to get ahold of him. I checked his prices on his FB and he’s just A little higher than Bo, but he will only do +1 valves whereas Bo will +2 for that price. Need to talk to him on The phone though to be sure.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So yeah, just talked to Cuervo, he said his cam alone is 470 plus 185 for springs. He quoted me 250 for the 11:1 piston and 60 for oem gaskets. BPRacing has that piston and cometic gaskets for 245, and KW springs for 135, which brings both builders prices close.

Heres what it’s come down to -
cuervo - 1350 shipped for +1/+1 head complete
bo - 1450 shipped for +2/+1 head complete

Do you guys think going +2 intake would be a waste with stock tb? Bo said it would create more velocity, and thus more bottom end, but Daniel seemed to differ. Said it wouldn’t matter. Maybe you guys could weigh in.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another thing Daniel told me to consider is that going +1 intake to start would let me go +2 in a few years when they wear out. Whereas the +2 would need to have new seats and guides and everything, much more costly.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
IMO I would go with Cuervo and the OEM gaskets. Power in the porting all the way and as many as they do you wont be disappointed. I am very happy with the power delivery I currently have with my budget build from others but would definitely have gone the Cuervo route if I was to do it again.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok thanks for the advice. I may go that route especially since he is much closer to me. My buddy is a mechanic for the county of Sonoma and he said it would be worth it to spend the extra 100 for piston and gaskets from Daniel if he installs the rings and checks the gaps. Idk, shouldn’t the kit come with the right rings for a proper gap?
Looking at 1500 now, a far cry from my original 600 LOL ....oh well...

1 - 20 of 129 Posts