Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Rings come by bore size, so you will get the right size rings for your piston and bore.
Ring end gap is what it sounds like, the size of the gap in the end of the compression rings, while in the cylinder.
That size is important for max life and performance.
When rings are made, they have small tolerances(like all internal engine parts), but they will never be manufactured perfectly, and have a tolerance range for that reason.
So, rings will come new with an end gap that is either within spec, or on the high side(any low sides are factory defects).
If it's on the high side, the gap is too small, and can then be filed down(always only one end of each ring, never both ends), filing enlarges the gap to an acceptable range.
As the engine heats and metal expands, the ring gaps close.
Closing to spec is good, with proper seal. Closing over, and into itself, is stress on an already high stress part.
Closing not fully is as you would expect, less performance.
New rings should be measured at assembly by placing them into the bore that they will go into, and measuring their end gaps.
File if needed, and only with a ring file tool/grinder. That is the only way to get a flat and squared edge on the ring for proper seal, you could never match that by hand.
Ring gaps once the rings are on the piston must also be not be in alignment with one another. The actual gaps are spaced 90 to 180 degrees apart, depending on specs.
Little things like these go a long way for engine life.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cool I didn’t know there was a special tool. I should have assumed as much.

Does anyone have any tips not in the manual on how to most efficiently pull the top end out of the Raptor? I assume just remove the exhaust and then go to town with anything else in the way.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Small update -

Decided to go with Bo to do the porting. I talked to Cuervo and he just didn’t seem interested. He’s had a hard time answering his phone calls and getting back to me over text. He was pretty short when I talked to him about the build I wanted to do too. Maybe he just hears the same questions all day long, idk.

Anyhow, I ordered the camshaft from him last Friday and am waiting for them to come in stock, mid January probably. Then I’ll send the KW springs, 5050 cam, and head to Bo and he’ll do the Megladon port for 850 shipped, w/ cam installed.

In the mean time, I’ll be seeing about fitting up this CP 11:1 piston and gapping the rings. Should be a fun build. I’m excited.

Reactions: morphrider

·
Super Moderator
8,118 Posts
Looking forward to watching this build come together!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,274 Posts
I can't compare to others, but I had Cuervo +1 valves with porting and 5050 cam and really liked it. 70+HP and a ton of bottom end.

Cuervo cam and porting are designed to work together. As for velocity, the bigger the valve, the slower the velocity.

AND, Daniel will help you with maps. He may not always answer the phone, but will call back shortly. Even after hours.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I appreciate the feedback Dez. Aside from the stuff I mentioned, one of the big reasons I went the other route is that I can get +2 intake/+1 exhaust, with the head ready for a 54mm tb for about the same price as Daniels +1/+1 build.
I have no doubt he makes a killer build, but I didn’t want to have to send the head back when the inevitable happens....I want more power. I keep saying I’ll be happy with what I’ve got, and yet I keep upgrading. I can see a 54mm in the future already. ?

For now though, this is it. I swear!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
...For now though, this is it. I swear!
Turns out I was wrong, this wasn’t it. Went out and had my nerfs powder coated to match my houser arms and heel guards. Bam! Now what’s next...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I give a word of advice for anyone looking to do the same, take your die grinder, hog out the holes a bit and smooth out the edges where the straps poke through. So much easier to replace the nets.

Reactions: DEZPERADO

·
11,274 Posts
It doesn't end, ask me how I know!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Damn, called Cuervo and still waiting on Web to deliver the 5050 cams. In the mean time I took my left side header to a welder and him fab the autotune bung on. Looks decent, but as a fitter it is below my standards. I suppose that’s why we are union.

Anyhow, I was going to clean up my headers a bit but I’m reading that LTE offered a ceramic coat option for them. How do I know if I have that? The exhaust is tinted bronze, but it is stainless of course.

·
11,274 Posts
Damn, called Cuervo and still waiting on Web to deliver the 5050 cams. In the mean time I took my left side header to a welder and him fab the autotune bung on. Looks decent, but as a fitter it is below my standards. I suppose that’s why we are union.

Anyhow, I was going to clean up my headers a bit but I’m reading that LTE offered a ceramic coat option for them. How do I know if I have that? The exhaust is tinted bronze, but it is stainless of course.
I know a forum member with a used 5050 on the shelf collecting dust, haha!

If I can't weld it myself, I always ask to see a sample weld of theirs.

Bronze color is prolly heat and dirt tint on the pipes. You could clean with fine sand paper for a matte finish, or polish to a mirror shine. Either way the tint may come back in a year or two.

Reactions: 4stroker4life

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Damn, wish I had known about that used 5050, I already payed for mine. Yeah I just don’t want to be sanding a ceramic coat. Thanks for the advice.

·
11,274 Posts
Damn, wish I had known about that used 5050, I already payed for mine. Yeah I just don’t want to be sanding a ceramic coat. Thanks for the advice.
Oh. I don't think it's for sale, i just know because I sold it a year ago and it's not installed yet. I was thinking you install his now and enjoy it without waiting. The when new one comes in he gets it and puts it on a shelf for another year. Haha, sorry 4s.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hahahhah. On blast!

·
11,274 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Haha, sorry 4s.
No worries dez! Im the dummy that hasnt put it to use. Im pretty sure i promised a "pants dyno" review, so i need to do that when it warms up a bit

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
11,274 Posts
No worries dez! Im the dummy that hasnt put it to use. Im pretty sure i promised a "pants dyno" review, so i need to do that when it warms up a bit

Lots of us are interested in your clean "pants dyno". My build was all at once so I didn't know how much the cam helped.
I know what it's like to buy parts and leave them on the shelf. When I decided on my build, I started collecting parts, including the mentioned cam. Took about a year. I finally picked up a spare motor, built it and installed it all at one time.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Lots of us are interested in your clean "pants dyno". My build was all at once so I didn't know how much the cam helped.
I know what it's like to buy parts and leave them on the shelf. When I decided on my build, I started collecting parts, including the mentioned cam. Took about a year. I finally picked up a spare motor, built it and installed it all at one time.
Who said my pants were clean? Lol. Seriously though, it has been fun to add things a little at a time to see the difference. When i built mine it already had a (not great) aftermarket exhaust, the intake and a pc3. The only performance mods i added were 11:1 piston and stage 3 cam. Hey didnt i get that cam from you too?? The biggest gain ive noticed so far was when i went to monster duals with bigger throttle body and MSD blaster done all at once. (TB also from you dez) hahaha. I dont know if it was the exhaust, or finally was able to get a good tune on it, but after that she pulls pretty good. I no longer feel i need a ported head unless i build a dedicated sand machine

·
11,274 Posts
Who said my pants were clean? Lol. Seriously though, it has been fun to add things a little at a time to see the difference. When i built mine it already had a (not great) aftermarket exhaust, the intake and a pc3. The only performance mods i added were 11:1 piston and stage 3 cam. Hey didnt i get that cam from you too?? The biggest gain ive noticed so far was when i went to monster duals with bigger throttle body and MSD blaster done all at once. (TB also from you dez) hahaha. I dont know if it was the exhaust, or finally was able to get a good tune on it, but after that she pulls pretty good. I no longer feel i need a ported head unless i build a dedicated sand machine

Sorry 38, it looks like your hacked. Sorry.
Stage 3 cam, maybe after I sold the wife's bike I had it in. Also sold a stage 2 she didn't want, sold.
Yeah, I had 3 throttle bodies done at the same time, sent one to Florida too.
I "gave" you a Cuervo +1 ported head too, lol. Did it help, or did you ship it?
I think the porting mostly helps the top end, not so much the bottom.
The 5050 should help all over.

Reactions: 4stroker4life
21 - 40 of 137 Posts