Raptor Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Going to install the head this weekend, possibly after work this week. I’m dying to get her up and running, but I may be headed to check out another Raptor first... Ah priorities.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,800 Posts
Nice head. Be sure to check your exhaust rings so they don't restrict the outlets. IIRC the 450 has a bigger opening. I should have mentioned that sooner. Or Bo maybe said something.

You'll like that cam, I think I said that before. Maybe double check rocker clearance. 5 and 7 if IIRC. I hope you're doing a new timing chain.

I just remember, and forgot to send you that Cometic head gasket. Anyone else need one, lol?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Lol. No I’m not doing a new chain. Old one only had 50 hours on it, figured I’d leave it alone for now. Yeah I’m stoked for this. I rode a raptor with an 11:1 and a HC2 and that was great, can only imagine how this is going to compare.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Well, after I got the head back I went to set the valves and stripped out the locknut. New one shipped from Texas and ended up in Puerto Rico somehow, so drove about 200 miles today to pick up a new one at the only dealer in CA who had ONE in stock. I made it count. Got it torqued and set and put her back together.

Then I go to install the exhaust...
A few weeks prior to this I had the o-let welded on for the O2 sensor. I left a cap screw type plug that Dez sent me loosely threaded into it and I left the whole set up in my parts room (formerly known as the spare bedroom).
This evening I go to remove it and it’s stuck! My Hilti 1/2” wouldn’t even bust it loose, so I got out the 24” breaker bar and pipe wrench and it fought me the whole way. I’ve attached a pic of the plug I pulled out. I’m wondering what you guys think happened? Some sort of electrolysis?
The metals were literally fused together. I had to take my Dremel with a tiny cut off wheel and carefully grind out the threads inside of the olet because they were full of some type of metal deposit. You can see the deposits on the end of the plug, this metal was all inside the threads in the olet.

·
10,800 Posts
I don't remember sending a O2 plug. Are you sure the threads were the same. If it was loose, could it have been hit and knocked cross threaded?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
The plug in that pic was in the box you sent me. For sure it was the right size and pitch.
No, not cross threaded..there was literally extra metal in the threads between the plug and olet. I’m thinking maybe because that guy used steel to weld the olet the first time, then I had it covered with SS again. Caused some electrolysis perhaps. Very strange.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Here’s a stock pic, that plug is in the photo, straight from the factory.

·
10,800 Posts
Oh, I thought it was from the other extras I sent. I forgot you bought the auto tune. I wonder if the bung warped with all the welding. Try to thread the O2 sensor in. If available, you might run a tap thru it. And during assembly, use a lot of anti seize.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Oh the O2 sensor is in good buddy! She may not come out, but damn it she’s in and running!
The motor is all back together and the build is almost complete, just have to install nerfs and skid plate again. Then I’m headed to our other house in Napa countryside to do some runs for the autotune. My girl can get a handle on her new quad at the same time which will be good.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Question for the experts out there -

1. The 5050 cam and ported head is really noisy compared to my stock bike, or even the HC2 in my other bike. How normal is that? I’m surprised it’s so much louder, makes me nervous.

2. After riding fairly hard I saw 200F steady on my inline temp gauge and 205F idling. Is that normal?

·
10,800 Posts
1, What did you adjust the rockers to?

2, Did you bleed the oil and coolant? You have a 185* thermostat, and I think the fan comes on at 205*. Did the fan come on?
What's your outside temp?

3, Add some fuel to the map.

4, Did you do the 11.5:1 piston? Add a little more octane.

5, Try a colder spark plug, a #9 instead of #8.

·
10,800 Posts
Pull the valve covers and make sure the rockers are oiled.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Ok thanks. I adjusted the intake to roughly .13/.11mm and exhaust to .18mm.

I looked up how to bleed the oil in the raptor 700 but only found info on the 660. I just cracked the bleed bolt on top of the oil filter cover and it flowed out. I didn’t do anything else. Am I missing something?

I did an 11:1 piston. And I didn’t wait for the fan to come on. I shut it off and pulled it in the garage.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Pulled the exhaust cover and it was def oiled up good. How can I tell if my timing chain tensioner is working right? That could be a possibility if it’s too slack. I installed just like manual said though.

edit: the timing chain was very tight

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
That’s good to hear thanks. Maybe I’m just trippin.

·
10,800 Posts
Try .010mm and .017mm for the valves. Yes, they will be louder.

Bleed the oil by loosening the Banjo bolt at the top of the oil tube on the head. Not needed if you have oil in the head.

Bleed the coolant at the thermostat housing. The bolt with the copper washer.

Remove the complete timing chain adjuster and take it apart. Retract the adjuster. Install and tighten the main body, then install the spring and center threaded stem

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Thanks Dez I’m going to get to adjusting those valves this week. Im pretty sure that’s what all the racket is.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts