Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought my 06 raptor 1 week ago, and i love it has tons of power. but was wondering if it was normal to have a rattling noise. not a knocking just ticking. seem to notice it more at start up. or is this just the norm. for this engine? oh forgot to say this is a brand new quad left over from 06 its not used.

·
Registered
405 Posts
gussgoods said:
i just bought my 06 raptor 1 week ago, and i love it has tons of power. but was wondering if it was normal to have a rattling noise. not a knocking just ticking. seem to notice it more at start up. or is this just the norm. for this engine?
I think its normal mine does it too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
this had been brought up many times, id say yes, it is normal. i know what your saying though, the sound is horrible. almost like its going to blow appart. but seeing as how this is a dry sump oil system a little bit of "rattle" at start up is to be expected, and it continues to "rattle" a bit lighter once warmed up but never fully goes away. but if your still having concern its a little more than that, then i wouldnt hesitate to run it in and have someone check it out.

better safe than sorry :grin_nod:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah its the "norm" My old 660 also did it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks,that puts my mind at ease. i used to ride a 400ex was a less noise but a lot slower and handled like crap. how long should does it take befor the engine is broke in, icant wait to really get on it. as of now i have about 3 hours on it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
they say around 20 hrs it should be pretty well broke in. thats when they want you to bring it in for the valve adjustment. some guys do it and some dont, i had mine adjusted at 25 hrs and they were tight. made a huge differance after that adjustment. but like i said, not everyone agrees with having it done, personal preferance.

but to answer your question, 20 hrs or to make it easier about 4 to 5 tanks of gas :thumbsup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yea just make sure to check the valve clearance when its broke in. I did mine and it was really tight which seems to be the norm. When I set mine I det them more on the open side so it had room to tighten up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i need to know if this quad (06 700r 50th ann.) will beat ( banshee, 400ex, suzuki 400, honda 450r, all are new (less than aweek old) and stock. in a 1/8 mile drag race. we race on turk lake in mich . we each run 500 ice studs, pretty much the same tires. problem being they bet $50 per race. (i dont have that kind of $ to bet unless i know i will win) we all weight about the same 160-180. should i just watch or get in the race? wait the banshee is 4yrs old and the ex is 3yrs old, but both completey stock.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My does the same..Dealer told me thats how they sound

·
Registered
779 Posts
Mine makes that horrible noise at start up too. Seems to come from the crankcase area....Once warm it vanishes. Mine is an 07. Very little hours and mileage on it cause it's so damn cold here! plus non stop snow storms. Figures, sold my kick ass sled last spring cause winter disappeared...until late January this year, it was non existant again....guess it's getting the last laugh now. This Tuesday the forecast high is -12C, -20C at night....that is f'n cold to be on an atv.

·
Registered
314 Posts
gussgoods said:
i need to know if this quad (06 700r 50th ann.) will beat ( banshee, 400ex, suzuki 400, honda 450r, all are new (less than aweek old) and stock. in a 1/8 mile drag race. we race on turk lake in mich . we each run 500 ice studs, pretty much the same tires. problem being they bet $50 per race. (i dont have that kind of $ to bet unless i know i will win) we all weight about the same 160-180. should i just watch or get in the race? wait the banshee is 4yrs old and the ex is 3yrs old, but both completey stock.
im not all that familliar with runing on ice, but id say you should have no problems. if your runing bone stock as well the only one that might give you a good run is the 450, but even at that..you should do just fine :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.