Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My raptor isnt getting spark to the plug. Battery is fine, i tested the coil, which also seems fine because I tested it with a volt meter so what is left? The stator

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My raptor isnt getting spark to the plug. Battery is fine, i tested the coil, which also seems fine because I tested it with a volt meter so what is left? The stator
Yeah, unplug the regulator and see if the spark returns, if so it could be the stator............

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I found out that it is the stator and i was unsure if i am up to replacing it. I took it to a local dealer and they gave me a quote of about 458 for an aftermarket and 620 for an OEM. My question now is how much of a rip off is this? Is it very hard to replace the stator?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I will ship you one that came off a running quad for $40 shipped to ya and can mail it tomorrow. Changing it is easy. Just Drain oil pull the cover by your left foot and pull 3 allen head bolts and put it back together. I also have a gasket to but that would jack up the shipping price because it won't fit in the small flat rate box. LMK

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Mine are OEM by the way. I have 3 of them. 01, 02 and 04 and one that i have never used and not yet tested.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must I replace the gasket? i also hear that some of the screws come with lock tite on them so how would I break them loose?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It is a good idea to replace it. Most come off in pieces. All the bolts come off fairly easy I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You could probably slap some silicone all way around the cover but im sure everyone will recommend you buy the gasket. Just break the screws loose if they got loctite on them.. If there too tight.. Afraid of stripping them.. U can prolly use a little blow torch to heat up the bolt to loosen up the loctite but i doubt they are too hard to get out

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
You could probably slap some silicone all way around the cover but im sure everyone will recommend you buy the gasket. Just break the screws loose if they got loctite on them.. If there too tight.. Afraid of stripping them.. U can prolly use a little blow torch to heat up the bolt to loosen up the loctite but i doubt they are too hard to get out
You can seal it up with silicone but it is messy. I had one motor that someone did that on the valvecover(No gasket anyway) but they used to much and it was everywhere inside the motor. It got one of the cam journal oil holes in the cam and ruined the head. Gaskets are cheap and easy but I have used silicone with much success before.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I will get a gasket. What are the chances that a guy is parting out a raptor fifteen miles from my house! Anyway he had a working stator from a 2004 so I bought it. Now I just gotta get a seal from the dealer, tear it apart, replace it....
Thanks for the offer and advice

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Did spark return when you disconnected the regulator? How do you know, for sure, it IS the stator to blame?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have checked everything else I know of. Including the coil which tested fine for resistance. I also know the battery is fine, as is the new sparkplug. As for all the wiring i am assuming its fine because it worked before and i didn't do anything to accidentaly abrade or cut a wire.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
yes spark returned when i unplugged the regulator.
This generally means your stator has an internal short and needs to be replaced, try cutting the red wire first from the stator and see if that helps, you got nothing to lose now............

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Yes, stator has internal short... try cutting the red wire that comes from the stator, out the side cover, before it reaches the harness - this circuit is not necessary for the Rappy and often, cutting this will eliminate the short - you're good to go without replacing the stator!

Let us know if it works or not - it is successful about 80% of the time.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
I agree, i cut the red wire and it worked like a charm.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cut the red wire and no such luck. Still no spark. I now have a replacement stator and will tear into it today.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Good luck, hope it works for you, keep us updated

1 - 18 of 18 Posts