Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had the raptor for about 2 weeks now (white & blue se)and have rode it 4 or 5 times. Maybe 6 hours on it. I clean it after every ride and today I noticed that the paint is wearing off on the subframe spar where it connects to the frame! :eek: WTF is that! :mad: I do not ride in real muddy or dusty conditions and I would think that I would see wear first at the points my boots rub. Is anyone slse having this prob and without dismantling the subframe :'( and taking it to the paint shop where can I get color matched paint? :help:
Seann

·
***Wildland Firefighter***
3,031 Posts
If I were you I would just stick some high grade vinyl over the area where your leg rubs the frame. maybe white or black or something else that goes with the color scheme of your quad. Easy fix and should take care of the paint wearing off without having to repaint it often. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Powdercoating weight more 8)

·
Registered
357 Posts
:lol:

This is one of the funnest things I've heard.

"Hey, I ride a off-road vehicle, it's scratched! Oh noooooooooo!" :lol:

People who worry about paint and scratches on a ATV should get a new hobby. I own the blue and white SE too. It has wear marks on it already... who cares? You should be more worried about the next jump or hill your going to scale. I don't think someone is going to come up to you and say "hey, nice quad, but it's scratched up" :lol:

What you need to do is some 12 o'clocks and get that stock grab bar worn down to nothing so you can go buy a aftermartet one and do it all over again. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would be bummed as well. I surely would have thought these frames were Powdered Coated. I know they are supposed to be scratched, because of the nature of the beast, but not on the frame, they should be powder coated. I do not think the weight is the reason.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
they arent p. coated. just paint.. iam w/ you all they should be, and how much weight are we talking about?????? maybe a pound, if that is the case then lose a pound of fat off your ass and then you even out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
337 Posts
shit :mad: mine got all muddy, scratched and my paint wore off my front A-arms too damnit... we better call for a recall on these POS bikes

·
Registered
644 Posts
07raptorgytr said:
they arent p. coated. just paint.. iam w/ you all they should be, and how much weight are we talking about?????? maybe a pound, if that is the case then lose a pound of fat off your ass and then you even out :thumbsup:
Wow, you guys sure are great at picking up sarcasm ::)

·
Registered
779 Posts
wow, tough crowd..lol

Although this bike is fantastic throughout, one thing I've noticed is the black plastic fenders do scratch very easily. Every tree branch I've passed left it's signature. Just one of those things. When you ride it, it will get scratched. I like my shit looking new too but you can only do so much. I'm going to be putting some vinyl on my fenders as it will stand up to the abuse a bit more. Once it gets scratched up, I can peel it off and put new stuff on. That's my solution. I found in the past the more you concentrate on keeping your quad protected on the trails, the more you get yourself into trouble. I'd rather plow through something then try to go off trail and end up upside down! lol

Guy with the blue bike has a point though, it should last a bit longer then a few weeks. Be careful you don't blast that area with a pressure washer, not saying you did, but avoid at all costs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
ChoChillin said:
shit :mad: mine got all muddy, scratched and my paint wore off my front A-arms too damnit... we better call for a recall on these POS bikes
:haha:

Yeah, looks like I'll be calling Yamaha on this one. "Hello Yamaha, my ATV is getting scratched, is this covered under warranty?"

I sure hope my pink handle bar tassles don't get damaged next time out riding.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
lmao... white fenders dont show scratches as much. You're problem about scratches on the fender is an easy fix - ride in the dunes, not as many trees to hit. You do own a quad, and it will show wear. You can do things to mitigate the wear, but it WILL happen.

·
***Wildland Firefighter***
3,031 Posts
wow...you guys sure are a lot of help... ::)  he asked for some pointers and everyone is bashing him. The new SE is beautiful and I would be upset if that cool blue paint rubbed of in the first few rides as well. obviously people are buying the SE2 for the looks so why not be upset if the paint wears of. If you are, as several of you are (including myself), not worried about scratches and paint wearing off, just buy a base level Raptor and go tear it up.  :thumbsup: But I would be a little bummed if the paint was rubbing off my brand new blue and white SE. But I own a base model blue one so its no biggie to me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just sprinkle that magic dust all over mine and presto! all scratches are gone! :lol: I got a little upset the first time I washed it and it wasn't the same. That's why I took pictures of it when it was new, now it's new and improved. I've always thought pretty, shinney quads are the ones that you push off your trailer and polish all day and the scratched up ones that still look good doing 40mph up a dune are the ones I ride all day while the other guy is polishing his. seriously though, I can understand you want it to always look as bad as the day you bought it, but scratches and bruises are gona happen, just wait till you take a good tumble and your replacing fenders, headlights, grills, ect...

·
Registered
314 Posts
go to your local auto parts store and ask for anti knick body tape. it comes in rolls about 8 inches wide, and its quite thick. it sticks very well on most all surfaces. its mainly for the bottom of your door panels and kick panels of your vehicle, but it will fix your problem.
all you have to do is cut a peice off and apply it to the area you wish to protect and trim with a NEW razor blade. for contour areas where it seems to be stubborn and lift, use a heat gun using long waving strokes, kinda like your drying hair, but be very carefull not to get it too hot or you might cause paint to lift or plastics to melt. once its fairly hot just work it on with your fingers until your sattisfied it is sticking to the contour. that should help alot, and as someone else pointed out earlier if that stuff gets all scuffed up just peel it off and put on some new.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Buck said:
wow...you guys sure are a lot of help... ::) he asked for some pointers and everyone is bashing him. The new SE is beautiful and I would be upset if that cool blue paint rubbed of in the first few rides as well. obviously people are buying the SE2 for the looks so why not be upset if the paint wears of. If you are, as several of you are (including myself), not worried about scratches and paint wearing off, just buy a base level Raptor and go tear it up. :thumbsup: But I would be a little bummed if the paint was rubbing off my brand new blue and white SE. But I own a base model blue one so its no biggie to me.
Sorry dude, but I buy a quad to ride it and ride it hard. I don't base my buying decisions of a off-road vehicle by looks. I buy what performs.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but to me if you get into the sport of ATV riding, you shouldn't be worried about a few scratches.

btw, I'm not bashing anyone. Just kind of joking about the whole scratch thing.

It's like buying a boat and saying "damn it's getting wet!!!" :lol:

I guess having a squeaky clean quad is a west coast sand dune thing. :grin_nod:

Us guys from the Midwest have one motto = Ride it like you stole it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a heads up. I took the 700 to the yammy shop I bought it at after I made the post. They were amazed also.They said it lookes like the early 90's chevys that the paint peeled off of the hoods and roofs. They took pics and gave me the cust. service # and said they will call there "guy" Monday morning and get it fixxed. 1 in a 1,000,000 maybe. I guess I wasn't clear enough on my description...... ::) as some of you took it wrong. I ride hard as both of my 660's show it. BTW 12 o'clock wheelies happen when u can't keep er in the balance point :lolflip: Or when the wind blows to hard in chicago and pushes you over :lol: Hey tiggy what do you have in mind when you said not to pressure wash it? I have read the posts on the tps, have any other tips? oohhh and hey chicago :joke:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My "06" SE Silver has been showing wear since 4 hours of use, I guess Yamaha isn't powder coating there frames anymore, What I use for my frame and [yes this sounds like a lil bit of ******* coming out of me, but works great] I use a couple layers of Grey Duct Tape!

I also have noticed that the front shock springs are not powder coated either, my tops of my front springs are already showing signs of rusting, no big whoop, I plan to get a set of YFZ Shocks and have the springs powder coated to a matching Yellow!

And I can sympathize with the original postee...when you buy a new machine that costs as much as they do nowadays, it should last one hell of a lot longer than just a few hours! Today's products that are sold here are just getting less and less quality but continue to be more and more pricey...go ahead and bash all you want, I will not play that game, been there done that.

Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics, not matter whether you win or not, your still retarded :nana:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts