Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my raptor yesterday and i just put it in second gear and pegged it and held it and it never hit the rev limiter. Then i did it again in third and it did it again. I also was noticing it was a little low on power. Would this mean the rev limiter is bad or something? Im confused a little. :confused:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I was riding my raptor yesterday and i just put it in second gear and pegged it and held it and it never hit the rev limiter. Then i did it again in third and it did it again. I also was noticing it was a little low on power. Would this mean the rev limiter is bad or something? Im confused a little. :confused:
Most stock raptors wont hit the rev limiter when pegged to full throttle, it just cant do it.........

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
It runs fine. But when you just hit the gas it doesnt seem to be all there. It doesnt seem like when you give it full throttle it gets all of the power. Is the cdi box bad?
You didn't answer my question. Did the bike run fine and then suddenly you've noticed this loss in power? When was the 686 kit installed and what else was done to the motor? What piston was installed? Did this all begin after the rebuild?

You said "i just put it in second gear and pegged it and held it and it never hit the rev limiter. Then i did it again in third and it did it again" What is it doing? Are the RPMs dropping off like you have a fuel delivery issue?
We can try to help but we need more info.
Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I first noticed it was low on power about two months ago so we looked into it and it needed a top end rebuild. So we did that and we made it a 686 with a 11:1 piston and a stage on cam. I also have a k&n filter lid on, pro circuit exhaust and stage one jet kit. All of this kinda just built up along as we were doing all of this. And yes the clutch is good.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Stop holding it at WOT in neutral.

No the CDI isn't bad.

You noticed the loss in power before the rebuild, did it improve after the rebuild and you just don't think it's back up to it's previous level?

Follow up with Blueranger's question about the jetting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be going home this weekend for spring break. I will look at them then. I dont currently know them of hand. I will post them up as soon as I know what they are. It is a dyno jet jet kit that is in it. I think it is the dj144 and dj146 with the needle that comes with the kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be going home this weekend for spring break. I will look at them then. I dont currently know them of hand. I will post them up as soon as I know what they are. It is a dyno jet jet kit that is in it. I think it is the dj144 and dj146 with the needle that comes with the kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Someone else will have to help you regarding the DJ main jets...I only use the keihin and mikuni jet numbers. You haven't complained about the idle circuit and off idle response but you will most likely need a set of 25 mikuni pilots and if it's still stumbling when you stab it you will most likely need a different needle clip position and possibly more main. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great question!!! My bike is doing the same thing, brought it to my mechanic who said it did not have a jet kit with the after market exhaust, new jet kit installed, new K&N filter, the bike seemed to smooth out a little but the more u get on the throttle it seems to bog, like it wants to go faster but there is just something holding it back. My mechanic said it may be the CDI box. We have not tried another one, thought I might start here, here information is free. Any thoughts, other than that issue the bike starts and runs just fine.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Try changing your spark plug. Mine seems to eat them up pretty fast. Even if it looks good when you take it out try changing it out for a new one. Its a cheap check and it never hurts to have an extra one if it dont work.

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Most often and most likely, when the issue is throttle position related it is carb related - in your case I'd suggest main jets.

Exactly what are your mods and exactly what are the jets/needles/pilots/fuel screw settings?

It is almost NEVER the CDI. Very few techs understand the electrics, so they love to blame them when there is no apparent solution. Look somewhere else!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Most often and most likely, when the issue is throttle position related it is carb related - in your case I'd suggest main jets.

Exactly what are your mods and exactly what are the jets/needles/pilots/fuel screw settings?

It is almost NEVER the CDI. Very few techs understand the electrics, so they love to blame them when there is no apparent solution. Look somewhere else!
I also suggest that it is carb related. If you have any intake mods, you will need aftermarket needles, if you don't use these needles, the main jet can be large enough but can't supply enough fuel because the needle won't allow it...............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts