Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else tried this??
We Live close to a beach area where we can ride.
When we got the quads, we didn't have a 4x4, but still wanted to get up to the top end of the beach (about 38 miles) & then be able to camp.
The solution, a towbar & small trailer.
We put the camping gear, a couple of chilly bins & our dogs in the trailer & off we went.
Now have a 4x4 van set up as a camper, & we trailer the bike up to the area we ride in.
My only real worry was the clutch, but it seems to have held up ok.
Every time one of my friends hassles me about riding a raptor rather than a 450, I just point at that towbar & say, how much pulling power has yours got?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
dragonz said:
Every time one of my friends hassles me about riding a raptor rather than a 450,
Sounds like a classic case of displacement envy.

Chilly bins? is that like a cooler?

Haven't seen the question laely but there have been a number requests for info about trailer hitches in the past. Looks like a good setup if the clutch held up for you.
How many trips did you make with this setup?
And the next time your friends give you a hard time about the 660 tell them to haul thier own gear.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will take some pics tomorrow & post.
The clutch was my biggest worry, but has not ever given out.
The towbar is made in 2 parts.
The top of the tow bar attaches to the suspension linkage mount on the swingarm, & the bottom bracket bolts up underneath, & the 2 parts bolt together.
Made mine from stainless steel, rust free, & stronger than mild.
Works a treat

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Didn't their used to be hitches for some of the smaller sport quads?

Nice job, sounds like it works fine too. Just go easy on the clutch. ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use a tow strap to pull cars from one of our garages to the other. I haven't burnt the clutch out yet, so I doubt you'll kill it that much faster with a small trailer like that.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clutch has finally given up the ghost, but took at new pipe/filter jet kit to do it in!
What is best?
Barnett Kevlar,
GTYR,
other?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i got a 719 stroker with the gytr clutch and it holds up just fine.. while your in there i recommend replacing the clutch basket with a billet one( moose, wiseco, hinson($$$), barnett) all good ones. the henson is the most expesive, i had the barnett in my 4mill banshee and i really liked it. they have stainless steel inserts were the clutch fingers ride so there is not wear on the aluminum.. :thumbsup:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

This is what I have done for about 6 years now, atv pulling against 4WD quads, they are at a definite disadvantage because they have to turn 4 wheels as I only have to turn 2.
In these pictures I am pulling a sled that weighs in at 4800lbs, starts off as a mainly rolling weigh on wheels and transfers to the drag part of the sled the further you travel down the track. Track distance is 125 feet at this event.
In this event I made seven pulls of which 5 were full pulls. Speed I reached pulling was about 15 mph, all done in first gear. I won the +500cc single cylinder class and also the +500cc two cylinder class.
:eek: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Damn thats crazy!! if the engine can stand up to that i know im not running mine too hard

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yeah I get your point, I forgot to mention that the bike that weighs about 400lbs stock without driver, and is weighed down to about 900lbs without driver, and the fun part is your a full throttle pretty well from the start, And it can get pretty hairy going down the track, you have very little steering control

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finally got round to taking some piccies of the components I made for this setup.
You also need to make a longer bolt for the suspension linkage where the top section bolts on
Has to be high Tensile :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CoalShedRacing said:
good looking fab work :thumbsup:
Pretty rough by my usual standards, but then I don't do a lot of welding these days.
The end of the bar is actually bent, which is why the towball was off.
10mm Stainless takes a lot of straightening!
I bent it pulling a 4wd ute out of a mud/sand/water etc hole!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Now you could write off your quad on your taxes because you can say you use it for work towing a trailer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.