Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I wanted to ask any of you if you knew what i could do before I shell out the bucks.
I just bought this 660 raptor 2001- ran fine/great when i test drove it, I've had it for 3 days, havent been able to get out and ride. I've been riding it around the block once a day and today I got to the other end of the block and as I tried to accelerate in 2nd, it felt like I was in 5th. As I gassed it, it didnt respond to well and cut out. I tried to start it back up and bring to neutral, but it was like neutral was very hard to get into. Anyhow, it started up, and it took off fine again, but now its in the garage and wont even start up, not even with the choke. At one point it would start with half choke, but any revving and it cut out. It wont start up now, and I see what I believe is oil on the ground ( just a tiny bit) and upon further investigating, I saw there was something leaking toward the bottom of the engine by the foot pegs.

One thing worth mentioning is that it seemed difficult to get it in gear. I didnt hear any popping or clinking. Gas is low, but even gas there to start I believe. The engine is completely stock, nothing modfified.

Odd enough, I saw paperwork on the quad before I purcahsed it, and it was completely tuned up. New oil, new spark plug, new filters, etc. It was running great for 3 days, and now it wont start. Any help out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing worth mentioning is that the raptor does try to start (starter works) but the engine doesnt start. I know I should check the plug to see if its wet, I just havent had a chance.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
2001 machines had tranny problems, it could just be that your shift linkage needs to be adjusted but you may have a bent fork or bad 2nd gear. The power problem you identified in 2nd could also be your clutch going bad.

Check your plug, your plug wire, all your ignition electrical connections, and your carb boots to make sure they're all seated correctly. For the few dollars it costs, it's not a bad idea to change the plug anyway who knows how long it's been in there.

Also check your parking brake adjustment, this can induce a limiter that will make the bike unwilling to rev up.

Make sure what you see is oil and try to find out where it's coming from. It could be coolant or fuel as well, check your radiator for leaks and your plumbing for leaks and cracks in the hose. If your carbs are leaking fuel it could be a float adjustment problem, search this site for "sixsixt" and the "clear tube" method and you'll find instructions on how to adjust them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK- now that poses another problem, I realized that the bike doesnt even have that cable at all, like it was taken out. This could pose a problem then?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The former owner probably already disabled it then, just make sure that the connections under the dash are good, especially if the oem clutch lever is still in use and plugged in to both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Results

So=- the shop asked me why I brought it in- turns out the rode it 45 min no prob... If the engine is flooded, what steps do you take to fix it?

Are gaskets going bad a normal occurence for raptors? Turns out I have two bad gaskets as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The engine "floods" when too much fuel is pumped into it. The best way to resolve a flooded engine, aside from not flooding it in the first place, is patientce. Just let the bike sit for a few mintues before you shoot more fuel into it trying to get it started. If your bike floods on it's own, it probably needs the floats adjusted in the carbs.

Gaskets going bad are not common, but if it's an old bike and wasn't maintained all that well or has all oem gaskets then it's certainly possible to have to replace some. Depends a lot on which gaskets you're talking about though, some should last for a very, very long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts