Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was out ridding all was good and now my 660 raptor backfires and you cant hit the throttle and it dies and the fuze box is buzzin when i hit the start button that i think is the battery dying right any insight would be nice i was ridding in the creek by my house when it started acting up :mad:

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
That 'fuse box' is the starter solenoid. Buzzing implies battery voltage is too low. First remove the battery connections, clean all contact surfaces with wire brush, then reconnect tight using wrench instead of screwdriver.

If problem still persists your charging system may have failed - run the bike, measure battery voltage when running at well above idle - you should see 14 volts or so. If less than 12.5, it has failed. Either stator or rectifier/regulator is bad - a few measurements with a volt meter will tell which.

If you see 14 or above, the battery is dying.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya but the og problem i was running it pretty hard and it died i got it started and it was back firing hard i can get it started now i can get it started but when i hit the gas it dies and is hella hard to start

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AND the battery is dead from me tryin to start it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did you get water in the motor? Are the rubber intake hoses hooked up to the carbs

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya they r hooked up to the motor dont think i got water in the motor

·
Registered
29 Posts
i had the same problem ... i posted a thread and a few people lead me in the right direction ...i bought a new battery...my bike started ...and i thought my worries were gone...but it happen again...then i noticed my rectifier/regulator was damaged so i replaced tha.....and now my bike runs great....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is that recirtifier regular
sorry im a noob

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
ya but the og problem i was running it pretty hard and it died i got it started and it was back firing hard i can get it started now i can get it started but when i hit the gas it dies and is hella hard to start
1) always tell ALL the information in the first post, else you're wasting our time - we answer based only upon what you tell us - we can't read your mind nor see your bike. First post - 'started backfiring, wouldn't start, solenoid buzzes' points directly at battery/connections/charging system... but now you say you got it restarted and it runs... where was THAT info? Completely different diagnosis now.

2) please use some punctuation - it is extremely hard to follow and make sense of your sentences.

3) Read "Most common problems with the Raptor 660" - a sticky at top of General 660 Discussion section. Do any of these fit? If not, get back to us. (get back anyway with the results if you get it working from that info). I suspect its the reverse switch connection losing contact due to water/dirt incursion - does the reverse light come on during problem? It could also be water in the spark plug bore...

4) charge battery, clean reverse switch connection, clean and dry spark plug bore, see what happens, let us know.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Pay atttention to the rev limiter sections...............Bad connections can turn on the reverse rev limiter and water in the right area can turn on the parkbrake rev limiter.......

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya im going to start to tear it down and see if it is the rev limiters i will get back to you in a few days thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok so i think i found the problem.....the pb sensor plug was unplugged and crap in the plug..but i cant started it because i got the rad off to see about fixing a hole in it so more problems as i dig . but ill let you know if it worked thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pay atttention to the rev limiter sections...............Bad connections can turn on the reverse rev limiter and water in the right area can turn on the parkbrake rev limiter.......
I hope there's no snow forcasted this weekend for your neck of the woods!! I'm heading up there this weekend to visit my daughter at the University of Ottawa.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I hope there's no snow forcasted this weekend for your neck of the woods!! I'm heading up there this weekend to visit my daughter at the University of Ottawa.
You should stop in.................

Sunny all weekend..............

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
ok so i think i found the problem.....the pb sensor plug was unplugged and crap in the plug..but i cant started it because i got the rad off to see about fixing a hole in it so more problems as i dig . but ill let you know if it worked thanks
It was my understanding (at least up until now) that 05's did not have a parking brake switch... or I would have mentioned that as the first likely culprit. What's the 10th digit of your VIN? If 5, and if you DO have the PB RPM limiter, our assumptions appear to have been incorrect.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess i got to pull off the skid plate to look at the vin because i cant see it.and nevada dont issue titles for atvs anymore the guy i bought it of off said it was an 05. but the pb wires are on it and the conection was unplugged so i am guessing that was it hopefully i get to work on it today lol we will see thanks for the info

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update....ok so the patch on the rad is holdin and the pb sensor was unpluged and i guess i got water in it it running fine now and now i see my jets were upgraded and i can run with no lid sounds great....nice and loud see i ride it everyday to the store pick the kids up from school and so on

·
Registered
238 Posts
update....ok so the patch on the rad is holdin and the pb sensor was unpluged and i guess i got water in it it running fine now and now i see my jets were upgraded and i can run with no lid sounds great....nice and loud see i ride it everyday to the store pick the kids up from school and so on
Glad to hear that you got it running.. So you got the Rappy soccer edition for picking up the kiddo's huh lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ya lol

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Or the station wagon edition, for getting the groceries, lol. Just kiddin man, that's cool that you can even do that. I'd probably make it a couple hundred meters and have the cops on me like stink on a monkey.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts