Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on the forum for 6 months or so and have officially joined. Ex banshee rider converted to a rappy. Down about 30 horsepower but trail riding is much more fun on 2 more strokes!!!!! :thumbsup:

Does a good octane booster make a significant difference in power over pump gas alone? I do all trail riding and race gas is not an option for me.

Any info would be great!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
No! you can buy oxygenated fuel like MR9 or U4 but you will have to jet up some and flush it out after every ride. Stick with 87 if its all stock internally.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
My buddy has a 400ex with a 12:1 piston. He should be using a 50/50 mix, but instead uses a 93 octane and octane booster... does that stuff do anything at all?? I always tell'em that stuff isn't right to use...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RT,

your buddy is running a 12:1 piston on pump gas and an octane booster and he has not blown the motor up yet??? I will soon be building a motor similair to yours. I called CSR today but didn't leave a message. I figured I'd call Mike aftert the holidays.

I just switched from a shee to a rappy and its currently bone stock. Just got the sparks pipe, cam, jet kit and intake this afternoon and will be installing tomorrow. Did I leave any bolt on stuff out? After I get comfortable with these mods its time to split cases.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Your good for the bolt ons, don't run a air box lid, get a k&n filter. I believe someone in the forum ran just over 50 hp with a sparks big core and jet kit!

I'm good and familiar with the motor stuff, just not the junk they make to put in it, I'd never use it and never will, but I was just wondering if that crap actually worked, I guess not. He's been running it for a year and it hasn't blown up yet, I guess thats the basis for my question.. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Regardless of how you get it, higher octane is useless and has no benefits without increased compression that requires it.

And as octane goes, store-bought additives are the least efficient and cost effective way to increase that number.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
quadnut, sorry I missed your call....been enjoying some family time for Christmas but if you leave a number I promise to get back to you.

To answer your octane booster question...yes it will make your bike faster if you carry your wallet when you ride. The logic behind it is your bike will be lighter because your wallet weighs less due to it missing the money you spent on the octane booster:lol:

All kidding aside, its a waste of money. If you run any higher octane than is required by the motor to prevent detonation, it will cost you power.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
CoalShedRacing said:
To answer your octane booster question...yes it will make your bike faster if you carry your wallet when you ride. The logic behind it is your bike will be lighter because your wallet weighs less due to it missing the money you spent on the octane booster:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
960 Posts
rt said:
CoalShedRacing said:
that is great lol i found a local place around here that sells the 100 octain stuff its only at 243 a gallon

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is a direct quote from Tim Wusz of Rockett Brand Racing Fuel. "The only time your engine is aware of octane is when it doesn't have enough. Using a higher octane than the engine needs does not hurt or help." Thought I would say that because I get tired of people saying that using higher octane when not needed will cost you power. The only thing it will cost you is money. If you notice a change in power its probably due to incorrect tuning. Tune up for proper gasoline is critical. Its like any other component in the engine, it works in a package with other things like your air/fuel ratio and spark timing in order to benefit. Pretty much the only difference you will see from store bought additives is terrible fuel economy. If you want high octane buy race gas. And take in mind here that if you do buy race gas it will not burn slow because of the high octane like some think. Any properly designed high octane race fuel will burn fast and will make more power than a slow burning gasoline. Not to mention the people who design these race fuels realize that the engines running this stuff are typically high compression and high rpm engines which means that there is very little time for combustion so they design their fuels to burn fast.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
ironraptor04 said:
rt said:
CoalShedRacing said:
that is great lol i found a local place around here that sells the 100 octain stuff its only at 243 a gallon
thats awesome!

·
Registered
350 Posts
rt said:
Your good for the bolt ons, don't run a air box lid, get a k&n filter. I believe someone in the forum ran just over 50 hp with a sparks big core and jet kit!

I'm good and familiar with the motor stuff, just not the junk they make to put in it, I'd never use it and never will, but I was just wondering if that crap actually worked, I guess not. He's been running it for a year and it hasn't blown up yet, I guess thats the basis for my question.. :lol:

52.6rwhp ;).

I ran torco in mine last week more of a 60/40 mix. After 15 minutes of riding looked down and my temp light was on cut the bike off doing close to 50mph and slowed to a stop, coolant was bubbling and my fan (being out) wasnt on. Had my buddy tow me home and dumped all of the full tank out. Put 93 in it and ran great. Went into the shop and was torn down to check for damage jsut incase got the call and nothing wrong other than its missing the 719 kit....lol

So NO octane booster as someone already put unless you got your wallet with you to replace what your going to burn up then screw it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Trueblood said:
I feel sorry for anyone running high compression. The last time I bought fuel the 110 octane was $5.75 a gallon :eek:

C16 in my lightning......14.83/gallon tonight

1 - 16 of 16 Posts