Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately i've been getting lazy and have been putting 83 octane in my rappy and using octane booster is this alright?

·
Registered
963 Posts
where the hell can you even buy 83 octane? Thats low budget even for commiefornia

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be 87 i cant remember but it the lowest stuff you can buy at the pump.

·
Registered
337 Posts
thats all I use is 87... runs fine

·
Registered
963 Posts
cheap gas is good gas. Its been provin that most of the expensive shit is a waist of dough

·
Registered
209 Posts
You were wasting money before buying premium.
Now you're wasting money buying octane booster.
:wtf:
Unless you tear the motor down and put in a high compression piston or add a turbo/supercharger, there is no need for anything more than 87 octane.
There is no benefit whatsoever. Some oil companies would like you to believe there are special detergents in premium gas, but all grades have detergents.

·
Registered
554 Posts
:beer: Wow!

After a year of preaching that on this site I am finally having more people back me up!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
the rappy is like 9/1 compression ratio stock. you should be able to burn like 80 octane and still be fine. the higher the compresson the higher you have to go in octane.(not that you can even get 80 oct.) but you get the point

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
How about this question then... Say you did motor work and put a 11:1 piston in. They say you should run premium gas. Can you buy the cheap stuff and add octane booster? OR what about a 12.5:1, they say 110 racing fuel. What about premium and some octane booster?

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
onelunglow said:
How about this question then... Say you did motor work and put a 11:1 piston in. They say you should run premium gas. Can you buy the cheap stuff and add octane booster? OR what about a 12.5:1, they say 110 racing fuel. What about premium and some octane booster?
I have wondered the same ?? to get the ocatane up to 100 where it is recommended for HI comp. engines.

·
Registered
963 Posts
All the guys I have talked to that sell the octane booster say its really not a booster. More of a cleaner. But my source isnt one of the best

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Porting and cam choice can make a sizeable difference in octane needs. Less material in the head means less compression, as does a longer cam duration.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The higher octane fuel you start with, the less octane booster will do for you.
Say you're starting at 87, and your booster claims to raise the octane level by 3 points, and you thoeretically get 90 octane.
However, if you add it to 93, you might be able to bring it up to 94.
It will not replace race gas.

I've had 3 supercharged cars, one from the factory, and the other two I put on.
You learn some things doing that.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Sounds like I better stick to 50-50 mix, high octane and race gas, to equal 100 octane for the new 12:1 compression. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
here in mn they have some super cheap low like 83ish, but i think it's made from corn? not sure , i only been back a little over a month and havnt' stopped at any gas stations with it, krandall might know?. do you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts