Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have any of you guys had your oil analyzed? I just had mine done for the first time, I’d be curious how it compares to others. Mine had 581 hours and 10,000 miles at the time of this report. From what I gather, it sounds like I have tons of life left still

Post pics of your report(s) if you have them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
What were their comments on the oil? Based on viscosity and flash point, I would have thought there was a lot of fuel dilution, but that is low.

Looks like your filter is doing its job, and wear metals are low. Without a total base number(tbn) it's hard to say how much longer I'd run it. With a low viscosity, I'd personally change just for my own peace of mind, but it could be perfectly fine

Edit: what oil is this, and what weight? Amsoil 0w40?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It’s castrol synthetic 5w-40. They did have a note about the viscosity, but fuel dilution was only 0.5%. They said anything under 2% is fine, so they said not to worry. They did say it seems like the oil was sheared somewhat, but that’s not uncommon with motorcycle engines, so not something to be concerned about

Based on this, I don’t think I’ll go over 30 hours on a change in the future

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Raptor 700r
207 Posts
Oil analysis is always a great way to tell what's going on. I'll open up oil filters but those tests described every little thing. Always interesting to see what it's like when oils run certain lengths of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How do I know when to change the coolant on my raptor 700, I got it like a week ago and on my first ride I had my engine over heat for like a minute. And after I looked at my coolant it looked very dark. And I also looked at my oil tank to my oil dip stick out and the oil was very black and it was very liquidy like almost like water and it said that there was almost no oil left. Should I change the oil and the coolant…?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I’d start with draining your coolant and oil into separate, clean containers. Then inspect them to see if they are actually contaminated, or are just old and dirty. Raptors don’t overheat easily. Maybe someone changed the coolant in the past and used a type that doesn’t suit the raptor (dex cool is an example), and gunked up the cooling system

Start with draining them and report what you find

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’d start with draining your coolant and oil into separate, clean containers. Then inspect them to see if they are actually contaminated, or are just old and dirty. Raptors don’t overheat easily. Maybe someone changed the coolant in the past and used a type that doesn’t suite the raptor (dex cool is an example), and gunked up the cooling system

Start with draining them and report what you find

The coolant loos dark like there oil in there or something so I’m gonna change the hole coolant same for the oil because oil looked like it’s water it looks like it hasn’t been change in a long time

·
Registered
233 Posts
The coolant loos dark like there oil in there or something so I’m gonna change the hole coolant same for the oil because oil looked like it’s water it looks like it hasn’t been change in a long time
If water got in the oil it will not look black , it will look like a milkshake. If you are comparing the viscosity of the oil when it’s hot to water then that is normal.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Raptor 700r
207 Posts
If it's got antifreeze in the oil it'll turn milky white.
I'd first start with draining your oil and inspecting it for metal, and then draining your antifreeze and inspecting it for gunk or oil. If you're not the one that put it in, then you don't know what's in there. It would also be good to clean out your oil screen in the oil tank as well.

How old is the quad?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts