Raptor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the sand dunes a couple weeks ago and noticed after a day of riding that my oil was getting low. (It was fresh off an oil change and full when I started the day) I did another oil and filter change yesterday to see if I would have the same problem.

The quad did not over heat while at the dunes or run low on oil for more than a few minutes, but I also found in my investigating that my coolant level also lowered. I was getting some coolant past the cap so I replaced that at the start of the day, but still ended up low in the end.

I put the quad back to gether with new oil, new filter, new coolant and now I am getting white smoke out of the exhaust. My first thought is that my head gasket is gone and I am burning coolant, However I have been aroung quads that have burnt that before and there is typically an odor distinct to the burning of coolant.

I will be riding this weekend to see if the white smoke is just a fluke or if i am losing coolant and oil again.

Any ideas ? ???

Also The motor is being overhauled after this last trip. I would just like it to last through the weekend. haha

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I was at the sand dunes a couple weeks ago and noticed after a day of riding that my oil was getting low. (It was fresh off an oil change and full when I started the day) I did another oil and filter change yesterday to see if I would have the same problem.

The quad did not over heat while at the dunes or run low on oil for more than a few minutes, but I also found in my investigating that my coolant level also lowered. I was getting some coolant past the cap so I replaced that at the start of the day, but still ended up low in the end.

I put the quad back to gether with new oil, new filter, new coolant and now I am getting white smoke out of the exhaust. My first thought is that my head gasket is gone and I am burning coolant, However I have been aroung quads that have burnt that before and there is typically an odor distinct to the burning of coolant.

I will be riding this weekend to see if the white smoke is just a fluke or if i am losing coolant and oil again.

Any ideas ? ???

Also The motor is being overhauled after this last trip. I would just like it to last through the weekend. haha
Id say Head gasket. Look in your coolent res, is it bubbling?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolant Reservoir is not bubling. I ran the motor again last night for 5-10 min then checked levels and it seems to be doing better. The oil went down just a tad but was still more that half full on the stick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts