Raptor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
crb8686 said:
You can also buy Wix oil filter from O'Reilly's or NAPA. For all who don't know Wix is one of the highest quality filters you can buy.
Just throwing this out there for you guys!! I was chatting with my parts guy and he informed me that the Wix and Amsoil filters are either built identical or they are made by the same company. So either Wix makes filters for Amsoil or Amsoil makes Wix filters, I would imagin it is the first scenario. It may be a BS marketing scheme but I have heard it a few times. I guess either way your looking at a great filter from Wix :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awsome, Everything you could want to know. Except one thing of course. WHERE do you put in the oil please? I just got a 2004 Rappy 660r and I don't want to put the oil in the wrong pipe. Ty, And I don't suppose anyone knows where the coolant opening is to put some in? Ad Can I just put in water?

Sorry if I sound frustrated but I have posted 4 question's on 3 forum's and apparently "The Pro's" don't know how to answer em.

·
Its all about the trophy!
2,507 Posts
charagrin said:
Awsome, Everything you could want to know. Except one thing of course. WHERE do you put in the oil please? I just got a 2004 Rappy 660r and I don't want to put the oil in the wrong pipe. Ty, And I don't suppose anyone knows where the coolant opening is to put some in? Ad Can I just put in water?

Sorry if I sound frustrated but I have posted 4 question's on 3 forum's and apparently "The Pro's" don't know how to answer em.
Oil goes in the oil tank on the 660's. remove the dipstick from right side and put oil in there. to drain oil you must drain the oil tank and the crankcase. oiltank drain is just forward of lower oil line. Crankcase drains from left side of case, just below shifter. Coolant goes in the overflow bottle until it is at the cold mark. Remove front nose plastic and remove radiator cap, fill until radiator is full.

·
Registered
330 Posts
i use yamalube oil along with the NAPA 1356 filter and it works well on my
660:cool:. I read in quad magazine a couple issues back that using any synthetic oil with the energy conserving logo on the back will cause premature clutch problems. just throwing that out there hope it helps

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Thank you for the write up. i was unsure if you had to add oil to the oil tank and the crank case or just the oil tank and this cleared that up :D Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
In theory yes, but the capacity is most likely different. If you need a manual for the 700R there is one stickied in one of the 700 sections.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am just about to do my first change and I want to pick the oil I will be using for the life of my ride.

Synthetic or Just plain YAMALUBE 4

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you tried this?

I need advice. I just paid over $15 a qt for racing oil. Days later, my clutch went bad. I am replacing with a Gytr unit. My question is, can I strain, with coffee filter, the oil and put it back in? Would this be any less than using new oil?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pay attention!!!

I read through the info from the other thread. Its all very interesting and I do now fear the friction modifiers - but the question still remains, which oils are high in friction modifiers that will damage wet clutches? They must be few and far between as I have run many different oils in many different wet clutch applications and never had any problems. I'm not doubting that these friction modifiers are dangerous, I'm now just looking for some info on how to tell an oil has a dangerous amount of them and which oils to avoid.
I just changed my oil with motorex synthetic. After a few days of riding here and there, my clutch went out. When I pulled cover off I discovered broken clutch pads. Coincidence? There has to be a way to be sure you wont ruin a clutch with oils that say there safe. Anybody?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just changed my oil with motorex synthetic. After a few days of riding here and there, my clutch went out. When I pulled cover off I discovered broken clutch pads. Coincidence? There has to be a way to be sure you wont ruin a clutch with oils that say there safe. Anybody?
I have used Mobil 1 on all my bikes and quads over the years. Not the 4T, just the regular 10w30 for me. Many of the other synthetics are bad for the clutch as mentioned in here already. My local mechanic swears by it and I trust him.

But this is from Mobil 1's site:

Question:
Any Reason Not to Use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in Motorcycles with Wet Clutches
Is there any reason that Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 Gold Cap shouldn't be used in a motorcycle with a wet clutch? Some additives in automotive oils that reduce friction are bad for a wet clutch.
-- John Gardner, San Diego, CA

Answer:
ExxonMobil’s primary recommendation for wet clutch applications is Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil which is specifically designed to minimize the effects of friction modifiers contained in typical engine oils. These are have been optimized for the performance experienced in motorcycles including those with wet clutches.

But the 4T motorcycle oil makes them more money too....hmmm. For no extra cost from their pocket. My mechanic is a 30 year BMW tech and has owned his own MX shop for 20 years. He said if you want the extra piece of mind to pay a little more for the 4T.:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
do not put anything synthetic in your motor unless it says its made for your quad because it will kill the clutch

·
Registered
196 Posts
quick question about the filters, i bought a filter from Yamaha, and its a paper one, doesn't have a metal case around it... does the paper part come out of my old filter and I just put the new one in, or did I get the wrong filter?

·
Registered
72 Posts
quick question about the filters, i bought a filter from Yamaha, and its a paper one, doesn't have a metal case around it... does the paper part come out of my old filter and I just put the new one in, or did I get the wrong filter?
You have the wrong filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome site.
Newbie to ATV's, so I bought my friends 05 660 tonight and was looking for a nice place to visit. Just might want to stay.
Love oil threads, as they are the best place to see what kinds of brains are lurking at a site.
First question, kind of rhetorical, but here goes;
Are the clutches in my Raptor wet clutches? Are they any different than the wet clutches on the motorcycles I've owned since the early 80's? If not, I am going to continue to use Mobil 1, formerly 20-50 with the red cap, but now 15-50 with the gold cap. The one that DOESN'T say ENERGY CONSERVING in the small circle at the back of the bottle. ;-)

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
Yamalube 4R 10w-50 has been my choice since day 1.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts