Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the time frame is for getting your oil changed and plugs looked at etc etc. I just bought a new 2007 Raptor 700R and am curious on how often to get things cleaned.

thanks

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
You say "What is the time frame for getting these things looked at" are you going to take it to a dealer? I do the oil when it is dark/black-ish or low. And for the spark plug, just go until it quits working.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
I change my oil after every two or three rides to include the filter. As for the plug, you can always take it out to determine if it needs to be replaced or not. If you are playing with your mapping, you are going to change it more then somebody who has had a tune and knows its running the correct AF ratio. But, just take it out and if it looks bad, replace it, if not, let it be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say "What is the time frame for getting these things looked at" are you going to take it to a dealer? I do the oil when it is dark/black-ish or low. And for the spark plug, just go until it quits working.
Yeah, i will be taking it to my mechanic for routine check ups. Just wondering how many hours between each oil change? Like with a car every 3000 miles. so with a quad, 10hours? 50 hours?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, what are the colors i need to look for when determining if a plug is bad or not?

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
IMO, i wouldnt bring it to a mechanic, you will pay alot for easy work. For an oil change I bet you would pay $80 maybe. It depends, I would look at the oil. If it is dark, put in new oil. And you could take out the plug and post a pic on here and we can tell you what you need to do(rich/lean) I guess maitnance is more of what you prefer. Some guys change the oil every ride and some change it every 20 hours, some clean the air filter every ride(which isnt good) and some never clean it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO, i wouldnt bring it to a mechanic, you will pay alot for easy work. For an oil change I bet you would pay $80 maybe. It depends, I would look at the oil. If it is dark, put in new oil. And you could take out the plug and post a pic on here and we can tell you what you need to do(rich/lean) I guess maitnance is more of what you prefer. Some guys change the oil every ride and some change it every 20 hours, some clean the air filter every ride(which isnt good) and some never clean it.
I did buy a Clymer manual. So maybe i will learn how to do it myself. Also, i was thinkin like every 20-30 hours change the oil, or depending on how the oil looks and its level. I guess just keep an eye onit is all.

thanks rappy

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If you ride in water keep an eye on your oil you may need to change it sooner...oil tends to turn a light brown color if it has water in it almost looks like chocolate milk..

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
I did buy a Clymer manual. So maybe i will learn how to do it myself. Also, i was thinkin like every 20-30 hours change the oil, or depending on how the oil looks and its level. I guess just keep an eye onit is all.

thanks rappy
ya a manual is a good thing to have alot of info and pic's to do alot your self .it look's more to it than it is .once you do it it will be easy .one thing on oil change is to not to over tighten the drain plug ! i took my katana to a dealer ship for a couple of oil change's then started to do it myself went to loosen drain bolt and could turn it by hand ,out came it and the thread's .someone there over did it and didn't say anything .so be carefull .clymer is the best one to get it will show you all the scheldule maintance and more buck's i think .also when i change oil and in mine i put 1qt in the oil tank and 1qt in the motor ,then let it run for about 10 min then let set 2 min then check and add if need but you should be good :D good luck if you learn how to you will save money and have fun doing it .

·
Registered
415 Posts
if you can take out a bolt, you can change your oil. its very easy. changing the filter is easy too. just pay attention how every thing comes apart, and put it back together the same way.

i change my oil about every 15-20 hrs. change my plug when it starts to get hard to start, and clean and oil my air filter every 3 rides, unless it was very dusty, or muddy then i check it. DON'T FORGET TO OIL THE FILTER. a friend of mine blew my mind when he said he cleaned his filter and i looked at it and it was dry!!

hey if you need any advice or help and none of your buddies can help, pm me. i can come help ya if i don't have my son.

·
Registered
415 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts