Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much oil does the Raptor 700 use?

The previous owner just had the bike at the dealer for valve adjustment because he thought the oil consumption was too high.

What is normal consumption on this bike? Im using it mainly on-road.

Also, how often should i change the oil on this thing? How many kilometers/ miles?

I have the Paoletti Racing instrument odometer, so it counts kilometers/ miles, not hours.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The oil consumption should be low enough that you don't need to add any between oil changes if the engine is healthy.

As far as oil changes go, the manual says something like 2500 km if I remember right. I go by oil color and ~1500 km usually is as far as I'll go. I'd rather loose money on oil changes than having to rework the engine :p

Others change it every 5 hours, but that's just too much IMHO :)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
5hrs wow that's just part of a days ride. I usually go about 15-20hrs or a good long weekend of riding.

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
I change mine every 500 miles if it's just road use. Every other race if I'm racing. Or if I spend a day off road, then every other day. Probably a bit anal but I like it. :)

It doesn't use any between changes.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Yeah if I'm racing all day I'll change it if I'm not near a bunch of riders around kicking up dust then I won't crack the crank case filler.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Since we on oil and oil changes. I hope this ain't considered :hijack: but, have any of you guys used Scotts stainless steel oil filters? They say one last a lifetime. Idk about this though. I see them in DirtWheels every month. 304 medical grade stainless mesh technology used by NASCAR, Indy, Aerospace, and Formula 1. Filtration rate 35 microns flows 57 gallons per minute of 90w at 1 psi of pump pressure. It also claims to have magnetic pre-filtering as a needed insurance to catch evil metallic particles. This just sounds crazy to me. I'd like to know if anyone used these and if they are reusable if I only needed to buy a filter every 10 oil changes I'd be cool. Cause 1/2 the time they're out of them when I go to buy at the local bike shop so I buy 4-5 at a time now.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
unless there is a way to clean it (empty the crud it filtered) I don't see how a filter can be permanent.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
i remember reading that thread from someone and said hes been using it for years..and i forget the site that has them. I think when u change it u just wash it out and its good to go again.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
If it's like Tresspasser says it's cool. I just don't wanna waist money on it if it's BS. I figured they might be somebody on here that's used them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i have a flo Stainless for my raptor 350 .... best money ever spent ... easy to clean and better oil flow and catches every gremlim in the oil... i have had it for 4 years and it still looks new it will outlast the quad i think ... i want one for my raptor 700

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And the correct way to measure oil level is;

Idle for one minute, turn off engine. Wait 5 mins. Check oil.

Am I correct?

I am going for a ride this weekend, most likely the last one before the snow arrives. Its about 180 KMs each way. Just wanna make sure everything is like it should be before I set off.. :)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I may be checking mine wrong but, I always let it warm all the way up. Then I turn it off unscrew the dip stick pull it out wipe it then stick back into tank without screwing in and pull out and check it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I may be checking mine wrong but, I always let it warm all the way up. Then I turn it off unscrew the dip stick pull it out wipe it then stick back into tank without screwing in and pull out and check it.
Same here, except it doesn't need to be fully warmed up. The oil will flow well after 1 min even in the worse of winter :)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
i have a flo Stainless for my raptor 350 .... best money ever spent ... easy to clean and better oil flow and catches every gremlim in the oil... i have had it for 4 years and it still looks new it will outlast the quad i think ... i want one for my raptor 700
I'm gonna have to try one those.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it normal that it would use oil if the valves where out of spec/ adjustment?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Same here, except it doesn't need to be fully warmed up. The oil will flow well after 1 min even in the worse of winter :)
So I can run it a minute instead of 5, cool :metal:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Is it normal that it would use oil if the valves where out of spec/ adjustment?
Makes no sense as far as I know, but I'm not a mechanic. Out of spec valves affect fuel delivery and exhaust, I don't see why it would affect oil consumption. There aren't a million reasons for oil consumption, it's either the rings or a seal/gasket. There are oil seals on the valve stems, but adjustment has no effect on them as far as I know.. you just change them when they let oil pass.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, then I'm gonna watch the oil level the first couple of rides, and see if it uses any oil. Thanks :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts