Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy, I have a 2008 Raptor 700 and i broke the oil tank drain bolt and then after that, i stripped the threads in the crankcase. Lucky me! Can any of u help me and tell me the sizes for the two bolts ( crankcase drain bolt and oil tank drain bolt sizes) please? Also, would it be better to helicoil the crankcase or put in a larger self tapping drain bolt? With the helicoil, is it necessary to take apart the cases? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
As far as the oil tank drain bolt. I'd buy the factory bolt instead of finding one to fit it, that way you don't have to worry about the pitch of the threads being incorrect. And retapping your crank case threads will be your best bet. I'm sure you could probably get a seal on your crankcase with a new crush ring using a self tapping screw. But I'm not sure if those self tapping screws are okay for repeat use. They may cut away more threads on case everytime you take it out to drain oil.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Timesert or helicoil will be your best bet for the cases. Not sure on the specs on the one you need though.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,416 Posts
Factory crankcase plug is 14mm 1.5

Don't remember the tank plug, but it's a standard metric thread.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Not sure what they're called, but you can get a thing with a valve that screws in so you don't have to take it out to drain it the next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure what they're called, but you can get a thing with a valve that screws in so you don't have to take it out to drain it the next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fumoto drain valve, they are great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey guys sorry i didn't reply! I've got it up and running with a new washer. Doesn't leak as of right now. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but it remains actual so:

Draintank is a M8 x 16 x 1,25 collar bolt (standard thread) for the Case you can use a Mitlock insert that is also beeing used to repair sparkplug tread. You have to buy another drainbolt then, M14 x 12 x 1,25 (metric fine) Use the green Locktite for bearings to secure it!
I would'nt use a helicoil in this case because it is not a blind hole.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have this problem before go to amazon and buy the tapered eco bolt it works i have used it on 3 different bikes this works i promise..

check out my instagram @Raptorman_406 or youtube raptorman406

·
Registered
1 Posts

Draintank is a M8 x 16 x 1,25 collar bolt (standard thread) for the Case you can use a Mitlock insert that is also beeing used to repair sparkplug tread. You have to buy another drainbolt then, M14 x 12 x 1,25 (metric fine) Use the green Locktite for bearings to secure it!
Hey so do you replace the oil tank drain bolt with a M8 crush washer and then the crank drain plug with a M14 crush washer? Getting ready to do my first service and want to make sure I have all the parts before hand. Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I refuse the washers for many oil changes, no leaks yet.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,416 Posts

Hey so do you replace the oil tank drain bolt with a M8 crush washer and then the crank drain plug with a M14 crush washer? Getting ready to do my first service and want to make sure I have all the parts before hand. Thanks for all the great info on this forum.
Yes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts