Raptor Forum banner

Oil Flow Issues

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Banshee2Raptor 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone.

The problem has been fixed it needed a new pump and gear on it.

The pump had metal in it and when it froze up the gear was stripped.

Hope fully I can get it back on the road this weekend, thanks everyone for your suggestions. The guy I purchased this from has been great and gave me a pump he had off another raptor.

#2 ·
try pouring the remaining quart into the valve cover of the head. pull the cover off that you would remove to adjust the intake valves and pour it right in there then crack the bleeder, start her up and see what happens

#4 ·
Thanks much Tommy for the quick reply.

If that doesn't work should I look for anything else?
Allow oil to run out of the oil line that connects to the bottom of the engine, when it pours out, reattach it to the engine, this line supplies oil to the engines oil pump.................

#6 ·
Thanks Willy.

I got some good info from another post you made helping a guy out. I am going to try a few different places to get that pump primed.

It hard watching the oil hit the floor, at the dealer in town a quart is $5.99 for 10w40, and the filter was $16.

#7 ·
Thanks Willy.

I got some good info from another post you made helping a guy out. I am going to try a few different places to get that pump primed.

It hard watching the oil hit the floor, at the dealer in town a quart is $5.99 for 10w40, and the filter was $16.
Make sure the filter in the bottom of the tank is clean, to remove it you loosen two bolts under the tank that the hose attaches to...........:D

#8 ·
Just got done taking the valve access off and pouring quart down the hole. Still nothing coming out of the side valve to check for the flow.

I turned it on it side thought that might help nothing. The filter still is dry, and I took the crank plug out and oil came out of the plug hole.

I just don't know, when you have it running and take the top oil line loose from the tank there is nothing coming out of it. I blew on it and it did not seem plugged.

The oil purge vavle on the side seems to have pressure and when I remove the dipstick it wants to blow oil out.

Any suggestions, I have a feeling this is going to be a money pit.

#9 ·
Just got done taking the valve access off and pouring quart down the hole. Still nothing coming out of the side valve to check for the flow.

I turned it on it side thought that might help nothing. The filter still is dry, and I took the crank plug out and oil came out of the plug hole.

I just don't know, when you have it running and take the top oil line loose from the tank there is nothing coming out of it. I blew on it and it did not seem plugged.

The oil purge vavle on the side seems to have pressure and when I remove the dipstick it wants to blow oil out.

Any suggestions, I have a feeling this is going to be a money pit.

Is there oil in the oil tank?
Did you remove the hose from the bottom of the tank that goes to the bottom of the engine to purge it from air allow oil to run from the hose and then hook it back to the engine???????????
Also did you clean the filter in the bottom of the tank.............

#10 ·
Hey Willy

Yeah I just got done taking the tank off and cleaning it out. I took off the oil lines also and cleaned them. The one that goes into the bottom of the tank was very dirty with metal shavings.

It is all back together and is still not pumping oil, just got done calling an atv shop and they said $1100 labor to put a new pump in and filter screen because you have to open the case up.

I have no clue on what to do now.

#11 ·
Hey Willy

Yeah I just got done taking the tank off and cleaning it out. I took off the oil lines also and cleaned them. The one that goes into the bottom of the tank was very dirty with metal shavings.

It is all back together and is still not pumping oil, just got done calling an atv shop and they said $1100 labor to put a new pump in and filter screen because you have to open the case up.

I have no clue on what to do now.
Did you bleed the oil line as I asked you too.................

#12 ·
Yeah I bleed the line and still nothing.

You would think there would be a better way to check oil flow on these.

Willy you ever opened up the side case where the clutch is? How hard is it to figure out; and does the clutch assembly come out in one piece?

On those oil lines on the side where the filter is; will those have pressure or will the have suction? I took the one off that goes in the top of the filter and did not feel anything.

Thanks for giving me information.

#13 ·
Yeah I bleed the line and still nothing.

You would think there would be a better way to check oil flow on these.

Willy you ever opened up the side case where the clutch is? How hard is it to figure out; and does the clutch assembly come out in one piece?

On those oil lines on the side where the filter is; will those have pressure or will the have suction? I took the one off that goes in the top of the filter and did not feel anything.

Thanks for giving me information.
Opened the side covers??????????
I have taken these engine apart so many times that I can do it blindfolded................:D

Are you talking of the steel lines..............
One rubber line is suction and the other supplies oil to the tank, and can have pressure if restricted...........:)

#14 ·
Well finally got it all back together!

The oil pump was locked up and the plastic gear stripped.

Just saved myself a lot of money and got some knowledge about the engine and how the clutch panel comes off.

Thanks for the help everyone in diagnosing the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.