Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 2001 raptor 660 and the oil is not flowing through the lines,pump seems to be working fine as well checked to see if lines were cloged but dont seem to be.tryed putting air in the oil tank to push through lines to see if would get it pumping no luck any ideas of what it may be thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disconnect your lines going to the tank and blow them out. Also take the oil filter out and blow thru the ports. I had this problem awhile back and had to do that in order to get it going again. I had some crud in my filter and the filter housing, but blowing it out helped! Hope this helps.. Good Luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disconnect your lines going to the tank and blow them out. Also take the oil filter out and blow thru the ports. I had this problem awhile back and had to do that in order to get it going again. I had some crud in my filter and the filter housing, but blowing it out helped! Hope this helps.. Good Luck!
thanks for the reply i have tryed that already and had air blowing through the
hole oil needs to come through but non seems come through checked to see if the oil tank was pluged but dont seem to be pluged all lines dont seem to be plugged as weell pump seems to be working (seems like its air locking for some reason and cannot seem to get unair locked).
Ive tryd puttin oil in oil filter and down the valve cover as well tryd blowing the oil through the lines,wen i put the pump back in there was oil in pump as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
went to try pushing oil through the lines again to see if can get er flowing but nothing oil tank is empty after i shove the oil through with air the start up and over fills the tank.
took off the oil filter to see if was getting any oil there but dont seem to be getting anyoil there either any ideas of what it may be?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
went to try pushing oil through the lines again to see if can get er flowing but nothing oil tank is empty after i shove the oil through with air the start up and over fills the tank.
took off the oil filter to see if was getting any oil there but dont seem to be getting anyoil there either any ideas of what it may be?
Did you cleanb the oil strainer in the bottom of the oil tank...............

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
yup that was one of the first things ive checked
So you are saying no oil flows to the tank, the line that supplies oil to the tank is the oi line lat attaches to the top back of the transmission, it is a pain to remove, is there oil coming from this place when the line is unhooked.............

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you are saying no oil flows to the tank, the line that supplies oil to the tank is the oi line lat attaches to the top back of the transmission, it is a pain to remove, is there oil coming from this place when the line is unhooked.............
no theres oil that flows back to the tank...i just unhooked the line by the tranny and there plenty oil coming through there but almost seems like theres no oil goin to the clutch side of the bike were ive unhooked the lines on that side and nothing seems to come out of them lines

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and wen leave it set the oil in the tank drains into the motor and will be emoty untill i start the motor than will fill right back up

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
no theres oil that flows back to the tank...i just unhooked the line by the tranny and there plenty oil coming through there but almost seems like theres no oil goin to the clutch side of the bike were ive unhooked the lines on that side and nothing seems to come out of them lines
Oil is pumped from the back of the transmission to the oil tank by the scavenger pump, the oil tank acts as a reservoir, the oil line that is attached to the bottom of the oil tank has a screen attached to it in the tank, this line flows oil back to the engine oil pump, it attaches to the bottom of the transmission.............

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oil is pumped from the back of the transmission to the oil tank by the scavenger pump, the oil tank acts as a reservoir, the oil line that is attached to the bottom of the oil tank has a screen attached to it in the tank, this line flows oil back to the engine oil pump, it attaches to the bottom of the transmission.............
seems to be flowing out of the tank fine to the line you say goese to the pump is it possible that the pump is air locked just dont make sence to me were it is beein pumped but just straight back to the tank and not to the top end of the motor or to the oil filter thanks again for your help

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

this is exactly the way it works so if you dont have oil flow after the oil reenters the engine oil pump, then you have a problem with one half of the pump, which would be the section of the pump with the smaller gears.........

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help guys ima take the pump out and take a look inside the pump at them gears......wen ever i fill the oil tank up and leave it set for a lil while it will be empty is that normal and i put about 2 quarts of oil in it

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
You are supposed to run engine till hot, turn off, let sit for a minute, THEN check. IF you wait too long it will be low, to short it will be high, too cold it won't be there at all.

What matters is that it is in the tank, and at least shows on the dipstick... not the exact height.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
k thanks for the help guys..is there a screen inside the case to filter the oil that may be cloged?
If engine oil does not get pumped to the oil tank your internal sump filter is probably plugged, or the scavenger pump is defective, if your tank fills but you dont get engine oil pressure, you could have an intank filter problem or a defective engine oil pump.......

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If engine oil does not get pumped to the oil tank your internal sump filter is probably plugged, or the scavenger pump is defective, if your tank fills but you dont get engine oil pressure, you could have an intank filter problem or a defective engine oil pump.......
k thanks for the advice it doese flow to the tank so ill try a new pump...wen you say the intake filter do you mean just the intake filter under the seat?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ooops read it wrong...yeh the filter in the oil tank itself is clean and runs out of it fine..i took the pump apart and the gears seemt to be fine....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts