Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I picked my engine up from Track N Trail today (State College, Pa).
My engine got a complete overhaul, bore to 101mm, new crank and rod, piston, hot cam stage 1.. everything but valves.
well, paid the $1623 for it, took it home, got it all together (minus front plastics). went to do a break in, put oil in, started it, turned it off, more oil in, repeat.
then i noticed oil was leaking... it was leaking from the oil line that runs from behind the bottom coolant line up to the head. went to tighten it, just spun. they stripped it out while putting it together :mad:

whats the fix for this? can i put a helicoil in it and be ok or any other relatively cheap fix? I paid $1500 for the Raptor in July.. rode it one night then found out it needed rebuilt and dropped another $1623... I just want it fixed and be done with it... any help?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Wich end up on the head or on the clutch cover. The easiest repair would be to swap clutch covers if it is on the lower end of the line. Go talk to the shop see what they say.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it stripped behind the bottom radiator hose, clutch side.

·
Master of the Electron
15,065 Posts
Why haven't you attempted to get them to make right by what they damaged? They likely have helicoils already, and expertise with their installation.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have had that same threads stripped out. Took the clutch cover off and helicoiled it out and have been running it ever since...

BUT

THEY should fix that for free of charge

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well I picked my engine up from Track N Trail today (State College, Pa).
My engine got a complete overhaul, bore to 101mm, new crank and rod, piston, hot cam stage 1.. everything but valves.
well, paid the $1623 for it, took it home, got it all together (minus front plastics). went to do a break in, put oil in, started it, turned it off, more oil in, repeat.
then i noticed oil was leaking... it was leaking from the oil line that runs from behind the bottom coolant line up to the head. went to tighten it, just spun. they stripped it out while putting it together :mad:

whats the fix for this? can i put a helicoil in it and be ok or any other relatively cheap fix? I paid $1500 for the Raptor in July.. rode it one night then found out it needed rebuilt and dropped another $1623... I just want it fixed and be done with it... any help?
This is what I would do, and I own a repair facility, bring it to them and tell them to fix it.............bike and all............I hate shoddy work............

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dad called today since he knew the technical terms for what happened, the part names etc. Taking it back for them to fix. I just asked on here because I didnt get to start it till about 8pm last night and the shop was already closed.
BUT im glad to here its a relatively easy fix and shouldn't take more time to do than just a quick tap job. I would've been even more upset if this had been during the summer and I wouldn't beable to enjoy it... but since it's middle of winter and its like 10 degrees out.. its not too bad.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My dad called today since he knew the technical terms for what happened, the part names etc. Taking it back for them to fix. I just asked on here because I didnt get to start it till about 8pm last night and the shop was already closed.
BUT im glad to here its a relatively easy fix and shouldn't take more time to do than just a quick tap job. I would've been even more upset if this had been during the summer and I wouldn't beable to enjoy it... but since it's middle of winter and its like 10 degrees out.. its not too bad.
The only thing you should be concerned of in the repair of this problem is that the valve cover should be removed, and the repair work done with it off the head, this way any debris from the repair can be removed from the valve cover area of the engine.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Yea it wouldnt take much of a pice of metal to plug the oil line. The hole is pretty small.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well the whole raptor will be going back to them.
i spent all day (11am-8pm) putting the engine in and hooking it all up by myself without even sleeping the night before (i was a bit excited to get it back)
so they get to remove the engine this time and put it back in. i spent time today putting my front plastic on and my new renthal bars. next thing im looking at buying is a set of red asv levers to match my paint job :D

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
They shouldn't have to remove the engine for that fix. Just the clutch side cover. I have successfully removed and reinstalled the clutch cover several times in the quad without issues.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
They could probably do it with the clutch cover on too. Just take the oil filter off. Then they can blow carb clean or brake clean through the hole from the inside out to remove the shavings from drilling and taping.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well im happy itll be an easy fix and possibly quick one, i just wanna beable to hop on it and take it for a ride

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
btw took it from
this.

to...

·
Registered
584 Posts
that thing was, and still is nice... identical to how my 01 is... good work on the plastics... looks really really clean...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks like that front bumper has been put to use before! :lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bumper was like that when i got the raptor july 3rd... i want a blingstar victory for on it

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
should be getting it back today.. took it to them saturday, they said today or tomorrow itd be ready to get picked up. theyre putting a helicoil in it.. weather is suppose to hit 50-60 this week, can't wait to take it out.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Aren't you happy you decided to give the problem to the creator to repair...................

1 - 20 of 23 Posts